Rokur's HoN Guide

OK wall of text time.

Lets start with the basics.

How teams are made up - AKA hero roles
    Teams are made up of a few different categories.
    1 - Carry
    2 - Semi-carry
    3 - Ganker
    4 - Support
    5 - Babysitter
    6 - Nuker
    7 - Initiator
    8 - Counter-initiator
    Edit - 9 - Pusher
    Edit 2 - 10 - Disabler

Team fights, and how they should go.
    1 - initiation
    2 - nukes/focus
    3 - carries appear
    4 - chase the leftovers

Phases of the game -
    1 - laning
    2 - ganking
    3 - mid game
    4 - late game

So lets start with phases of the game. And if I throw out some other terms they will be covered later
    1. So laning phase is roughly levels 1-4 for the outer lanes. 1-6 for the solo lanes. To successfully lane. You want to MAKE the other team push the other lane as far as possible. You want to be as close to your tower as possible. If all 3 lanes are pushed right next to our towers, that is GREAT. I know it seems counterintuitive because we want to eventually push down the towers. But, having the protection of being next to the tower is better. So how is this accomplished??? The easiest method is to not autoattack creeps. Only attack creeps to last hit, or deny, and if you are pushing way far, DENY EARLY as in at 50% health to start denying.
    Advanced pro tips - Another way to keep ur creeps from pushing too far is to do a neutral creep pull. This is where you take the closest neutral camp and pull them into a wave of your creeps so as to have them fight each other. Make sure to last hit the neutrals for extra gold. Here is a video
    YouTube - HoNPros.com Creep Pulling
    Advanced pro tips 2 - Another way to get their creeps closer and away from their towers is to use Creep aggro. This is because the AI of creeps forces them to aggro onto you once u make an auto-attack command on an enemy hero if the creeps are in range. whether u hit that hero or not makes no difference. In fact it doesnt even matter what hero u hit attack on he can be 100000 units away and its still fine. Just walk near the creeps hit "A" and then an enemy hero. and run away and their creeps will chase you for a few seconds. VERY VERY good to do ASAP when in legion top or hellbourne bottom.

Edit - to clarify, in this phase everyone's basic job is to stand close enough to creeps and soak xp. Carries should try and get every last hit possible, while Babysitters should focus on harass and deny. If u can harass them far enough back so that they can't gain any xp then you have done a GREAT job. If Carries are getting 2-3 last hits in every creepwave then you have done a GREAT job. This is one of the most important phases of this game and should be learned ASAP.
    Last edited by Rokur; 04-13-2010 at 10:18 PM.

Re: Practice/Strats

2. The ganking phase might be the MOST important phase of the game. Depending on how this phase goes, this could be the deciding phase of the game. This phase generally starts when mids hit 6, until roughly people are 10ish. Generally as mid Heroes reach 6, they generally start going ganking. What this means is that they leave the lane in an attempt to kill another hero. So what happens. If successful at ganking, then they gain a lot of xp and gold. If they did not successfully gank, they lose out on a lot of xp from laning, as well as possibly even more gold if they get counterganked. So, how do we prevent from dying to ganks. MAP AWARENESS. Always Always Always be checking your mini-map. Do not rely on MIA calls from your mates, while they are helpful they could be crutches for being ganked. This phase could start earlier if mids get a DD or an invis rune. They might just go ganking then. So always be on your toes. And this is also one of the reasons why we do not want to push out from towers. Being close to our towers helps us ensure ganks as well as help us not have to die to ganks.

Generally the goal in ganking is to feed the carry and/or kill the enemy carry. The ganker should want to gank the carry lane and let the carry get the last hit this way helping them farm. Preferably the ganker can lead the way to a double kill. It is the side lane's job to ask for ganks. If they are decently harassing, but they haven't pushed out, then good call for gank time. Or vice versa, if they are harassing you and pushing out to do so. Call for a gank. When gank phase occurs be prepared to fight tooth and nail. Down to your last hit point. This will bait them into becoming overaggressive having the ganker then easily taking them out. Also, extra damage as they run away is always a good thing. Especially if you have mana and spells. Run away to stay alive but going back in to hit one last nuke that came off cooldown can be the difference between killing them and not killing them. The best way to not die is to kill the other guy lol.

Edit - Also the best place to initiate ganks is from behind them from the river or from behind them in the jungle. ABUSE the fog of war. Also when going ganking send a ping or 2 to the side u will be ganking as a heads up and maybe also name ur main target.

3. mid game is teamfight time. At this point one or two towers are probably down and teams are gathering to attempt to defend or push into a tower. Carries are in the jungle farming until its time to mop up a team battle and they are out there getting whatever kills they can steal. This usually is about the 20-25 minute mark and people are 11 to about 16. You want to gather a team, but be invisible and then when you see one or 2 out of position you push down a tower. Or you go ganking in the forest as your carries start farming away. Once you finish a teamfight, whoever is left still standing then is usually free to push. Or to lick your wounds and try again later. This is where it becomes like chess. Killing a carry is like taking a queen, while all others are just regular pieces. Each fight is an exchange. Someone will probably die, you just want to try to have more kills than deaths. And killing the carry is the best thing that can happen as long as the kill scores were fairly even. This is where initiators start to shine in a battle as well as mid-game carries like Zephyr and Soulstealer. At this point most people are about halfway through their core if not done their core builds and warding becomes VERY important. warding and map awareness are critical. As well as homecoming stones.
    Last edited by Rokur; 04-13-2010 at 12:09 AM.

Re: Practice/Strats

4. End game is pretty simple. If you've done everything right, the carry should be able to kill the other team almost single handedly. So, that said, go in, fight, push after you win a fight. Try to survive if u are getting focused and then be alive to defend if needed or push if able. Also other tactics are Back dooring. Skip the creeps and just go for the base itself. Sneaky and sometimes rude. But it is a valid tactic. Oh and kongor is great. because after the second time he dies he drops a token of life AND a banana. banana is an insta-heal full life and full mana. Which is pretty sweet.

I'll do hero roles probably tomorrow. But yea.... hope this helps get the ball rolling.

Gold Donor
    XFIRE ID: nickynitro

Re: Rokur's HoN Guide

wow this is good dude. Always wondered wtf the game was about.
    www.iOGaming.NET
    iO Founder and CEO
    Donate to OUR community: http://iogaming.net/donate

Past and Past Participle of Wake woke's Avatar
    • Computer Specs
      • Processor: AMD Phenom 9950 Quad 2.6 GHz
      • Memory: 8 Gig
      • Video Card # 1: Radeon HD 4870
      • Video Card # 2: Radeon HD 4870
    Steam ID: woke HLSTATS ID: 348

Nice write up fellah.
    - woke

Thanks luna for siggy =D
    «Food or woke? I'll have woke.»

• Computer Specs
      • Motherboard: Abit aw9d-max
      • Processor: intel c2d e4500 (2.2Ghz) clocked at 3.2hz
      • Memory: 2x2Gb OCZ Reapers 800 running at 970
      • Video Card # 1: 3870x2 ridiculously overclocked
      • Hard Drive # 1: 500GB Seagate Sata 7200rpm
      • Hard Drive # 2: 500GB Seagate Sata 7200rpm
      • Hard Drive # 3: 500GB Seagate Sata 7200rpm
      • Power Supply: 650 modular
      • Sound Card: HT Omega Claro+
      • Monitor: 22" samsung & 20" dell
      • Operating System: Windows7 64
    Gold Donor

nice write up rokur.

• Computer Specs
      • Motherboard: Gigabyte ds3r ep45
      • Processor: q9450
      • Memory: 4gb 1066mhz
      • Video Card # 1: ati hd xt 2900
      • Hard Drive # 1: 750gb 10000rpm
      • Hard Drive # 2: 500gb 7200rpm
      • Power Supply: 600W
      • Sound Card: onboard
      • Monitor: LG p237 wr+lg l194wt
      • Operating System: windows 7 release canidate (and as many random vm's that i feel like making)
    Bronze Donor
    Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197989088397 HLSTATS ID: [iO] idiealot

Good job. I just want to add one thing
    When and where to initiate a teamfight:
    The best time to start a fight is when your lanes are all pushed. As your team engages their team your creeps wreck havok on their base completely messing up their game. They may win the fight but your crepps push their base which is almost always worth it.
    If your lanes are being pushed towards your base you want to defend your lanes first. And fight later, If your team starts a teamfight by your tower and youre not their because you want to defend the tower then you've messed your team over (i've done this when I played dark lady. We should have regrouped at the tower instead of forcing a teamfight earlier but once you guys made the call I should of initieated with dark lady Sorry bout that)
    Back on topic, only start a defensive teamfight when your tower is the next obstacle to be taken down. Not earlier because then creeps mess you up as the opponenet distracts you.

In Mid Game
    A powerful mid-game hero, like pyro, should be at every fight he can reasonably tele to.
    A carry should concentrate on farming. Check the minimap, If you see all the enemy heroes try to fight your team push and farm your lane hard... hopefully you can take down a tower and get some nasty farm. Once your team loses their teamfight tp to another lane and farm again, perhaps jungle the ancients. In late game, normally a carry is better served fighting with the team... unless he can destroy the world tree with a back door, faster then the other team rapes
    Who's Eric? Us?

• Computer Specs
      • Motherboard: Gigabyte G41M-ES2H @ 1333FSB
      • Processor: Intel E8400 @ 3.21 GHz (2 CPUs)
      • Memory: 2x2GB G SKILL
      • Video Card # 1: EVGA GeForce GTX275 896MB
      • Hard Drive # 1: Seagate 500GB
      • Power Supply: 800W
      • Sound Card: Fatal1ty Pro
      • Monitor: 24" Wide
      • Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate
    Gold Donor
    XFIRE ID: rollingst0ner Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/rollingstoner

Quote Originally Posted by NiCKYNiTRO View Post
    wow this is good dude. Always wondered wtf the game was about.
    Yo nicky u should try it out n come play with us man. Game is great once u learn the basics n shit its an awesome game to play. Its free no reason not too.
    "Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper

Blog Entries
    • Computer Specs
      • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2
      • Processor: AMD Athlon™ II X4 620 AM3
      • Memory: Kingston 4GB DDR3 4GB 1600MHz
      • Video Card # 1: 9500gt w/ 1 g ram
      • Video Card # 2: I wish .
      • Hard Drive # 1: SEAGATE 500GB SERIAL ATA/300 7200 RPM 8MB BUFFER INTERNAL HARD DRIVE
      • Power Supply: Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650W High Performance and Energy Efficient Power Supply
      • Monitor: Samsung 2333HD 23"
      • Operating System: Windows 7
    Gold Donor
    New Server Contributor

Thanks Rokur You're really good
    | earth : my body | water: my blood | air: my breath | fire: my spirit |

^ Behold, the world's worst hon stats ! >.<

Quote Originally Posted by Panda View Post
    Thanks Rokur You're really good
    Meh I've just read up on the game alot. There are plenty who are better than me even in clan. Like Jester, Johnylaw, Chisito, and maybe even woke and Jubi though I'm always up for a challenge

• Computer Specs
      • Motherboard: Gigabyte ds3r ep45
      • Processor: q9450
      • Memory: 4gb 1066mhz
      • Video Card # 1: ati hd xt 2900
      • Hard Drive # 1: 750gb 10000rpm
      • Hard Drive # 2: 500gb 7200rpm
      • Power Supply: 600W
      • Sound Card: onboard
      • Monitor: LG p237 wr+lg l194wt
      • Operating System: windows 7 release canidate (and as many random vm's that i feel like making)
    Bronze Donor
    Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197989088397 HLSTATS ID: [iO] idiealot

Quote Originally Posted by Rokur View Post
    Meh I've just read up on the game alot. There are plenty who are better than me even in clan. Like Jester, Johnylaw, Chisito, and maybe even woke and Jubi though I'm always up for a challenge
    Awww. One of these days I'll earn your respect. My Maliken rape will be outdone by Maliken rape with a mic.
    For this I'm going to get a smackdown on you
    Who's Eric? Us?

Hero roles -
    1 - Carry - Basically everyone wants to be a carry. Why? Well, they see the carry coming in and owning everyone on a team by late game and they want to do the same thing. Unfortunately, this is only one small side of what they do. So, what are carries. Carries, or sometimes referred to as hard-carries, are heroes that once they farm up certain items can basically mow down an entire team. The term Carry is almost a double play on words. First, the team "carries" the dead-weight of the guy constantly farming and not helping the team while later, the carry then "carries" the team into victory.

So what do they do. Most carries generally go in the legion bottom or hellbourne top lanes and get paired with a babysitter. Some carries can go mid however. Their job is to score as many last hits as possible. As the game progresses they want to move into farming mode by "ricing" a jungle and solo pushing a lane. If you see a carry farming a lane DO NOT GO AND HELP HIM "PUSH" in effect you are stealing his farm. As a carry you want to focus on GPM aka gold per minute. After each game take a look at your GPM in match stats and that is in direct correlation to how well you've done. Once a carry has built his "core" he becomes an almost "unstoppable" killing machine. Carries are based around the ability to farm with skills and the faster you farm the better of a carry you are. For this reason, many times carries will buy things to farm faster or longer such as a loggers hatchet, mana potions, health potions, iron shields, bottles, runed axes, whispering helms, and even alchemist bones (for some heroes). Also, if you notice the end of a teamfight, go ahead and see if you can steal a few last kills as kills give lots of gold. This is better with certain heroes like magebane and scout who can move from one side to another really fast and have good "FINISH HIM" ultis and then escape with their lives. But any carry can still steal a kill or two before returning to farm.
    Advanced Pro tip - One way to definitely increase farm is to either creepstack urself or have a teammate creepstack for you. Here's an example.
    YouTube - Triple stacking in HoN
    To do it even more advanced, you can use a whispering helm to dominate a creep. and u can have them stack creep camps for you while you are farming a lane. Enjoy!!

So to break it down - as a carry, farm, farm, farm, farm, farm, genocide them. Carries are the most important role on a team, but that being said, each team should only have 1 or 2 of them since there is limited amounts of farm for each of them.

Examples - Chronos, Swiftblade, Sandwraith, Madman, Scout, Nighthound, Corrupted Disciple, Puppet Master, Warbeast, Arachna etc etc

Edit - Carries also manytimes have "scaling" abilities that make them more potent late-game. Like Scout, Arachna, and Swiftblade chance to crit. Predator %max hp based dmg. Nighthound extra damage based on agility. Warbeast increase % base damage. Others excel based on their spells or stats synergizing well with certain items. Like Chronos or Pestilence + attackspeed = permastun. Puppet Master is an excellent Harkons carrier due to int gain. And Zephyr, CD and SW can dish mad damage over time so they do well with +HP builds. SW also has great +str already and with dispersion synergizes well with mock. doing a 5x mock of brilliance for 5 seconds is pretty sweet.

2. Semi-Carries - These are heroes that can carry in late-game with the right items, however lack the ability to farm quite as effectively as true hard-carries. They rely on successful ganks to gain the gold they need to trult carry. But, in the end, they can still move to a support role if necessary. Their role is similar to a carry role in early laning, but later they will be part of the ganking party and should be out there killing more and more.

Examples - Valkyrie, Engineer, Slither, Rampage, Defiler, Torturer.etc etc

3. Gankers - These are the heroes that excel at ganking. Usually it's a combination of 2 of 3 things. Good disables, good burst damage, and good chasing. Generally these are heroes that can 1v1 and kill someone they get the jump on. These heroes should be constantly roaming looking for ganks and killing others.

Examples - Pyro, WitchSlayer, PlagueRider, Pebbles, Pharoah, Tempest, Forsaken Archer, Pestilence, etc etc

Long day today... I'll try and finish this section tomorrow.
    Last edited by Rokur; 04-13-2010 at 10:42 PM.

Past and Past Participle of Wake woke's Avatar
    • Computer Specs
      • Processor: AMD Phenom 9950 Quad 2.6 GHz
      • Memory: 8 Gig
      • Video Card # 1: Radeon HD 4870
      • Video Card # 2: Radeon HD 4870
    Steam ID: woke HLSTATS ID: 348

Quote Originally Posted by Rokur View Post
    haha maybe even woke? I'm pretty damn good when I'm sober =P
    - woke

Thanks luna for siggy =D
    «Food or woke? I'll have woke.»