Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cleveland Area Ohio.
    Posts
    600

    Items and you Learn this shit

    This is my guide to some of the mistakes often being done in the advanced itembuild.

    First of all you will have to think of your strategy, I can’t tell you what to buy and what not, I can only give you some default advices.

    OK, lets start!

    What is an item?

    An item is an object that should help you going through the game.
    Meaning, an item should either correct the weaknesses of your hero or improve his skills.

    If one of these two guidelines is fulfilled you can move on to the next step.

    What is the role of you in the game?

    Are you a tank, meaning you need much HP and HP-reg, armor and the opportunity to survive as long as possible?
    Or are you a damagedealer, meaning you have to deal as much damage as only possible in a short time?
    Are you a caster or a supporter, meaning you need much Mana to support your allies or damage your enemys?

    Here are some basic tips which items you should get with each class:

    Tank
    The tank “tanks” the damage of the enemys, meaning you should have alot of HP and armor.
    They are mostly STR-heroes.

    Good items for him are:

    Fortified Bracelet


    Explanation: They are cheap but still give a lot of STR. 12-Str for ca. 1k gold + 6 to the other attributes. You should get at least two of these with EVERY tank!!!

    Enhanced Marchers or Post-Haste


    Explanation: Why no Steamboots? Well the +10 STR is good, but you don’t need the AS-bonus. The MS-bonus is way more important, because you always need to be with your allies and not that much solo.

    Helm of the Black Legion


    Explanation: If your enemys deal much physical damage you should get one of this. But NEVER get two of these, it’s a waste of gold. It won’t trigger in 100 % of the attacks, it just has the chance to trigger 2 times with a chance of 65 %. Hmm… hard to explain^^ Here an example:

    One Helm costs 2275 for 300 HP and +5 HP-reg. This is not much. But the good thing is, it has the ability to block 40 hero-damage, with an chance of 65 % to trigger.
    Now, a second helmet would also cost 2275 gold, giving 300 HP +5 HP-reg, but not the full 65 % chance to block, because you can’t block twice on one attack, this means if your first Helm triggers out the other can’t trigger out, too. So there’s only a 35 % chance the second Helm has the opportunity to trigger, again with an chance of only 65 %.
    I hope you understood this one, it’s just really hard to explain… OK, but lets move on now.

    Shamans Headress


    Explanation: If your enemys deal much magical damage you should get one of this. 10 magic resistance is A LOT!!! And the +8 HP-Reg is a nice bonus, too.

    Mock of Brilliance


    Explanation: As a good tank you should stay as long as possible in the clash, meaning 35 dps is a lot. Only get this if none of your allies already got one.

    Barbed Armor


    Explanation: This reflects all of the damage you take for 5 secs. If you take a lot of damage, this will deal a lot of damage. Got it ?
    Wow - Soukou/Seukou
    TF2 - Krazyk
    HoN - Soukou
    Waiting on Bad Co. 2
    Krazyk is offline

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cleveland Area Ohio.
    Posts
    600

    Re: Items and you Learn this shit

    Behemoth’s Heart


    Explanation: The best tank-item. Always get it at least once. This is the item that can’t miss in a good tank-build.

    This was a small collection of items that can be good for a tank.

    Damagedealer
    As a damagedealer you should deal as much damage as possible in a short time.
    DD’s are often AGI-heroes.

    Good items for him are:

    Soulscream Ring or Fortified Bracelet


    Explanation: DD’s are often low HP-heroes, meaning you can fix this disadvantage with Bracelets. But you can also improve your damage with Soulscream Ring. You have to decide whats better, but most of the time bracelets are better.

    Steamboots or Post-haste



    Explanation: The +10 AGI is nice and you also need the AS, but often you will need to move arround the map fast, meaning Post-Haste would be better. Again you will have to decide whats better for you. I think Steamboots are better in the most cases, because they are cheaper.

    Always get an attack-morpher!!!Like


    Explanation: Attack-morpher are some of the best damagedealer items in the game, because all you do is attacking! Think what is best in your situation and get it as soon as possible.

    Flayer and / or Savage Mace


    Explanation: I rate you to always get at least one of these two. They give a hugh dmg-bonus and the effects are also freaking awesome with your AS.

    Wingbow


    Explanation: The best dd-item in the game. Always get one. Not only it gives much damage and AS, it gives 30 % !!!!!!! evasion. THIS IS A LOT !!!!!!!

    This was a small collection of items that can be good for a dd.

    Caster and supporter
    Caster and supporter should have enough mana to support or damage the team in a clash. Caster deal mostly magical-damage.
    Caster and supporter are mostly INT-heroes.

    Good items for them are:
    Talisman of Exile or Fortified Bracelet


    Explanation: Caster often got low HP, that means you can solve this prob by buying one or two bracelets. But again you have to decide whats better in your situation. Talisman gives you damage and mana what can be a good advantage in the early game.

    Astrolabe and / or Ring of Sorcery


    Explanation: These items help your team in gangs and in other situations. You should be the one in the team that should get one of these.

    Storm Spirit or Totem of Kuldra


    Explanation: ToK is the better Storm Spirit, always get the totem if you can.
    Wow - Soukou/Seukou
    TF2 - Krazyk
    HoN - Soukou
    Waiting on Bad Co. 2
    Krazyk is offline

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cleveland Area Ohio.
    Posts
    600

    Re: Items and you Learn this shit

    Staff of the Master

    Explanation: If this item improves your ulti get it!

    The problem with caster and supporter is in most of the games they are the ones buying wards and y… support the team so often you won’t get any items.

    Situational items and items that are always usefull

    There are some items that can be usefull for every hero in some situations.
    Here is a small list:

    Shamans Headress



    Explanation: If the enemy team sets on magic-damage, just buy this to counter them.

    Runes of the Blight


    Explanation: They aren’t just there to heal you, they can also make you escape if you are beeing chased by someone.

    Homecoming Stone - A must have dont be a moron and not carry one of these unless u have post haste


    Explanation: You are way more flexible with this. You can help your team pushing or break the push of an enemy with this. You should always have 1 in your inventory.

    Ward of Sight


    Explanation: Map controll is everything! Someone of your team (most time the supporter or caster) should get some of these to controll the map.

    Ward of Revelation


    Explanation: Counter to invis-heroes and enemys wards of sight. Again the supporter of your team should get them

    Shrunken Head


    Explanation: If the enemys got mass disables you should really think of getting this, because it makes you immune to spells, meaning no one can stop your channeling spell.

    Marchers


    Explanation: Every hero needs boots… upgrade them to what you like best

    Monkey Courier


    Explanation: Someone in your team should get a courier right at the start of them game. It gives an advantage to always have the best items. Upgrade him to a flying courier if needed.

    Nullstone


    Portal Key


    Explanation: My favorite item in the game. With this you can escape, initialize a gank, start a clash, go in when nobody expects you and many more. Use it good and you will have a great advantage.
    Wow - Soukou/Seukou
    TF2 - Krazyk
    HoN - Soukou
    Waiting on Bad Co. 2
    Krazyk is offline

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cleveland Area Ohio.
    Posts
    600

    Re: Items and you Learn this shit

    Feel free to add or make suggestions for correcting stuff thanks hope this helps some new people to the game that are unclear on items!
    Wow - Soukou/Seukou
    TF2 - Krazyk
    HoN - Soukou
    Waiting on Bad Co. 2
    Krazyk is offline

  5. #5
    MDMA wh0re rolling st0ner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Newark, NJ
    Posts
    307
    • Computer Specs
      • Motherboard: Gigabyte G41M-ES2H @ 1333FSB
      • Processor: Intel E8400 @ 3.21 GHz (2 CPUs)
      • Memory: 2x2GB G SKILL
      • Video Card # 1: EVGA GeForce GTX275 896MB
      • Hard Drive # 1: Seagate 500GB
      • Power Supply: 800W
      • Sound Card: Fatal1ty Pro
      • Monitor: 24" Wide
      • Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate
    Gold Donor
    XFIRE ID: rollingst0ner Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/rollingstoner

    Re: Items and you Learn this shit

    I read it all Souk. Great guide, i will be taking some of this info with me 2nite and hopefully kick ass!
    "Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper

    rolling st0ner is offline

  6. #6
    Past and Past Participle of Wake woke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    1,285
    • Computer Specs
      • Processor: AMD Phenom 9950 Quad 2.6 GHz
      • Memory: 8 Gig
      • Video Card # 1: Radeon HD 4870
      • Video Card # 2: Radeon HD 4870
    Steam ID: woke HLSTATS ID: 348

    Re: Items and you Learn this shit

    nice write up sir. We should also get a list going of what NOT to buy at the start.
    - woke

    Thanks luna for siggy =D
    «Food or woke? I'll have woke.»
    woke is offline

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cleveland Area Ohio.
    Posts
    600

    Re: Items and you Learn this shit

    next on list is items not to buy
    Wow - Soukou/Seukou
    TF2 - Krazyk
    HoN - Soukou
    Waiting on Bad Co. 2
    Krazyk is offline

  8. #8
    MDMA wh0re rolling st0ner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Newark, NJ
    Posts
    307
    • Computer Specs
      • Motherboard: Gigabyte G41M-ES2H @ 1333FSB
      • Processor: Intel E8400 @ 3.21 GHz (2 CPUs)
      • Memory: 2x2GB G SKILL
      • Video Card # 1: EVGA GeForce GTX275 896MB
      • Hard Drive # 1: Seagate 500GB
      • Power Supply: 800W
      • Sound Card: Fatal1ty Pro
      • Monitor: 24" Wide
      • Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate
    Gold Donor
    XFIRE ID: rollingst0ner Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/rollingstoner

    Re: Items and you Learn this shit

    Yea depending on what hero ur playing what items to buy in the start of game will vary. Maybe we can get a guide just like this one with heroes pics or names and stating what items should be bought from the start and what builds work best for late game.
    "Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper

    rolling st0ner is offline

  9. #9
    Wannabe Crazy Canadian EverBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    3,305
    • Computer Specs
      • Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 4300 @ 1.8GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.8GHz
      • Memory: 3326MB RAM
      • Video Card # 1: Radeon X 1650 Series
      • Hard Drive # 1: 200GB
      • Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium
    Gold Donor
    New Server Contributor
    XFIRE ID: EverBlue91 Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197964654669 HLSTATS ID: 746

    Re: Items and you Learn this shit

    If you're unsure on item builds, this is the guide to look at:
    [Hero] Mini Guides for all 61 Heroes - Heroes of Newerth Forums

    A lot of very good HoN players have put work into that guide.
    Of course if you feel the need in-game, deviations can be made depending on what you're dealing with. Everyone has different playstyles.
    But too often I've seen people building items that have absolutely no use on their heroes.
    Only the insane have the strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.
    EverBlue is offline

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Voorhees, NJ
    Posts
    624

    Re: Items and you Learn this shit

    Quote Originally Posted by Krazyk View Post
    Staff of the Master

    Explanation: If this item improves your ulti get it!


    I disagree wholeheartedly. There are only 2 heroes that should definitely get this. And a few heroes who should get it situationally. Why? it costs 4300 gold for minimal benefit.

    Heroes who should. Ophelia - Changes heal from 120s cooldown to 30s. very very good.
    Voodoo Jester - Ward shoots to 3 heroes not just one.

    some maybes are -
    Andromeda - ult cooldown is shortened by a lot! 45 to 10.
    Nymphora - ult can be casted while moving so ninja escapes are nice. As well as adds a new ability basically tping 1 hero to your position.
    Pollywog - increases ward damage, increases ward number
    Devourer - You can now nom nom some health while you ult as well. Also increases ult dmg
    Pharoah - Was awesome now meh. Your ult drops to a 20 sec cd. But they now made it so with staff you can hook onto ally heroes as well, and sometimes they get in the way.
    Slither - I'm still meh on this but it does increase the damage and lowers the cd from 100 to 60, I just don't know if it's necessary and maybe you should just go for wingbow.
    Wretched Hag - I'm more of a semi-carry build fan, but it's still ok. Lowers cd from 130-85 and increases damage by 50/100/125.

    The bad ones
    Pyro - NO NO NO NO NO! get a sac stone, then get a kuldra's 4300 gold to add 200 damage to your lvl 3 ult is CRAP.
    Witchslayer - NO! you have no mana issues. So, if you want damage codex is 2850 and adds 400 dmg not 100/150/175... whooptedoo instead if u can get a codex by lvl 7 - stun lvl 4 = 260 damage, ult lvl 1 = 500 damage, and codex = 400 damage = 1160 damage chain, subtracting some magic armor, but still, It's going to kill pretty much any non-str hero.
    plague or soul reaper - get astrolabe and nome's wisdom instead. much more effective.
    Thunderbringer - Get sac stone or resto instead.

    you should get the general idea now... Almost always there are better items for you than a SotM.
    Rokur is offline

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cleveland Area Ohio.
    Posts
    600

    Re: Items and you Learn this shit

    Thanks for the additions guys. I dont know everything and the SoM info is pro i agree with rok.
    Wow - Soukou/Seukou
    TF2 - Krazyk
    HoN - Soukou
    Waiting on Bad Co. 2
    Krazyk is offline

  12. #12
    Wannabe Crazy Canadian EverBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    3,305
    • Computer Specs
      • Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 4300 @ 1.8GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.8GHz
      • Memory: 3326MB RAM
      • Video Card # 1: Radeon X 1650 Series
      • Hard Drive # 1: 200GB
      • Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium
    Gold Donor
    New Server Contributor
    XFIRE ID: EverBlue91 Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197964654669 HLSTATS ID: 746

    Re: Items and you Learn this shit

    Good write up about the SotM, Rok. It's definitely not the be-all-end-all item so many people make it out to be.
    Only the insane have the strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.
    EverBlue is offline

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Voorhees, NJ
    Posts
    624

    Re: Items and you Learn this shit

    For Noobier people -

    Get items in the following order
    Starting items - runes of blight, minor totems, mana potions, wards, courier, pretenders crown, health potion, loggers hatchet, iron buckler, ring of teacher, crushing claws, duck boots, trinket of restoration.

    Sample starting items - 2x runes of blight, 4x minor totems, 1x pretenders crown = 577 gold cost
    The benefit = 114 extra hp, 78 extra mana, 6 extra attack speed, .18 extra health regen, .84 extra armor, and .24 extra mana regen. Not to mention the 2 sets of runes.

    or 2x runes of blight 2x crushing claw, 2x minor totems = 583 cost
    benefit = 152 extra hp less on mana and other stats.

    While laning if in side lanes get these from outpost -
    loggers hatchet - 225g - more dmg on creeps = easier last hits and easier denies
    iron buckler - 250g - 60% chance to block 20 dmg, 10 if ranged. Blocks tower damage, creeps, and hero autoattack. builds into iron shield or helm of the black legion
    life tube - 875g - Awesome lane staying power. heals 5hp per second. builds into helm of the black legion, sacrificial stone, and runed axe.
    Iron shield = 150g+150g+250g - 2 duckboots and an iron buckler makes it. +6 Agi 100% chance to block when its attacks from a hero. still 20/10 dmg
    Trinket of restoration - 350g - 2 hp regen, builds into abyssal skull, astrolabe and shamans headdress/barrier idol
    Magic Vestments - 400g - 5 magic armor, builds into shamans headdress.
    Punch Dagger - 500g - +9 dmg - builds into Enhanced Marchers
    Gloves of the swift - builds into steamboots
    Hungry Spirit - is 10% lifesteal, every lifesteal item is built off of this
    Scarab - +mana regen, builds into ring of teacher which builds into Nome's wisdom or Abyssal skull

    these should help you lane better as well as help you build into your core as you continue.

    As mid, fetch a bottle from courier, and then shop for core with courier. more difficult to get items, but the bottle should hold you over especially if you are winning rune control.
    Rokur is offline

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •