• Hard Drive # 1: (2x) 120GB SSD
      • Power Supply: 1000w Silent Pro Gold
      • Monitor: 32" LG 1080p
      • Operating System: Windows 8.1
      • Headset: Logitech G930
    Bronze Donor
    Steam ID: 76561198002325510

Re: Guild Wars 2: Sylvari

I saw a video/interview earlier this week. After seeing the in-game footage for the Engineer Class.....I'm still interested to see how everything in the new combat system will work. I'll admit I'm a bit discouraged with how they describe the combat system and new classes (and mainly the lack of a dedicated healing class...) There are some things you don't mess around with because they are what make the game. MMO's have a specific formula.....you need to at least stick to the basics.
    Intel ​i7 3770k 4.4GHz | 16GB DDR3 1800 | (2x) ASUS GTX 680 SLI | (2x) 120GB SSD | 1TB Barracuda XT | CoolerMaster SGP 1000w

Bronze Donor

Quote Originally Posted by S4wyer View Post
    I saw a video/interview earlier this week. After seeing the in-game footage for the Engineer Class.....I'm still interested to see how everything in the new combat system will work. I'll admit I'm a bit discouraged with how they describe the combat system and new classes (and mainly the lack of a dedicated healing class...) There are some things you don't mess around with because they are what make the game. MMO's have a specific formula.....you need to at least stick to the basics.
    No you don't. Infact the lack of dedicated classes is a very good feature.
    Last edited by Kusandaa; 08-13-2011 at 05:45 PM.

• Computer Specs
      • Case: Corsair A540
      • Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77 Sniper 3
      • Processor: Intel i7 3770K 4.4GHz
      • Memory: 16GB Blackline 1800
      • Video Card # 1: (2x) ASUS GTX 680 TOP SLI
    Bronze Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Kusandaa View Post
    No you don't. Infact the lack of dedicated classes is a very good feature.
    What about people who enjoy playing primary healer? It's seems that they are going to cater to the "OH noes...we need a healer!!!11!!1!" /spam for healer /spam for healer .......just because people are impatient, and don't feel like interacting with other people. "Can I still play/solo GW2 by myself like the first game?!?!?" No.....just no. If you don't care for social interaction: stay offline and play an RPG....not an MMO. I'm sorry to rant....but this whole thing p*sses me off. I'm all for changing the game, and trying new things....but when it comes to "basic classes" ...DPS.....Ranged-DPS.....and HEALER ....common....try to at least color inside the lines :P
    Intel ​i7 3770k 4.4GHz | 16GB DDR3 1800 | (2x) ASUS GTX 680 SLI | (2x) 120GB SSD | 1TB Barracuda XT | CoolerMaster SGP 1000w

Bronze Donor

Play a guardian which is more support oriented...maybe this is not the game for you, but in my opinion no one likes waiting for a healer...and PVP is now more interesting. Gw2 is not going for another MMORPG WoW Clone here.. Trust me, I'm a regular member of the major guild wars 2 fansite, Guild wars 2 guru, and your views are of the extreme minority, unless people are not being vocal.

While I appreciate your views, waiting on a healer is not fun, I don't want to play with some douchebag just because they are the healer. Now, the roles are damage, support, and control, and each profession can do each role to certain degrees. I think the guardian would be the closest thing to a healer for players, due to their more support oriented role

I've yet to find a game magazine or some press article on Gw2 that complains about the changes Gw2 is doing to the MMO.
    Last edited by Kusandaa; 08-15-2011 at 09:59 AM.

Blog Entries
    • Computer Specs
      • Case: Corsair 250D
      • Motherboard: MSI A88XI AC
      • Processor: AMD A10 7850K
      • Memory: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600
      • Video Card # 1: AMD 6950 overclocked to 840 Mhz
      • Hard Drive # 1: Toshiba 128 GB SSD
      • Hard Drive # 2: Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1 TB
      • Hard Drive # 3: Samsung HD322GJ 320 GB
      • Optical Drive # 1: Optiarc AD 7240S
      • Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 750 G2
      • Sound Card: Onboard Realtek
      • Monitor: Dell U2412M
      • Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
      • Headset: Sennheiser PC151
    Gold Donor
    New Server Contributor
    Steam ID: Voudoun

It isn't always about non-social interaction, it can be about only wanting to rely on people who've proven that they can be trusted not to fuck you over for a laugh. If not enough of those people are online, then what do you do? Also, don't forget time differences, they can make meeting up with people difficult.

With respect to colouring inside the lines, why should anyone colour within lines determined by others? That approach would, in time, crush any artistic talent. Everything that exists now as a gaming stalwart was, at one time, different, or even innovative.

I'm sure that Guild Wars 2 will have things that I don't like, but I'm interested in seeing how things like mass instances workout. In my view, it's past time that someone took a fresh look at MMO conventions. One of the complaints I've read a lot of in MMO reviews is that game X doesn't stand out. Could it be because everyone's following the same format?

Recently I reread a feature published in February 2010 and, given how some recent games have been received, found this passage interesting:

I’m tired. Tired of the fact that it seems all you need to do these days to secure a reputation as a games journalist is to wax philosophic once-monthly about the noir themes of Deus Ex, or talk about how scary the zombie monkeys were in System Shock 2. A mere mention of a few classic franchises is all it takes to establish a fanbase in the massive community of gamers who have firmly entrenched themselves in their own nostalgia. And I don’t think that’s too cynical an outlook to take.

Despite the title and everything else in this article, I do actually love Deus Ex (it is my favourite game) and Beyond Good & Evil and Thief and all those other games that get mentioned by people like me in places such as this. They are fantastic games – but fifteen years on, I question whether we really still need to be reminded about how scary SHODAN is. When is enough going to be enough and when can I open a copy of my favourite PC gaming magazine without seeing a retrospective feature on Deus Ex or PlaneScape: Torment? When will everyone start to realise that just because a game is their favourite doesn’t mean that it’s the best?

It’s occurred to me recently that, even though PC gamers claim to be a group that wants innovation over anything else, all we really want is more of what we’ve had before – and that we’re so favourably inclined to the few titles that have achieved that aim that we’re in danger of running those memories into the ground. What’s the point of putting these games on a pedestal if we’re not willing to let them be knocked off by newer ones?

It's something I've been guilty of in the past, collating features almost solely around getting the chance to sing Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodline's praises. As time goes by though it feels like the motivation is being slowly perverted and that my nostalgia for that game may be affecting my judgement. That shouldn’t happen – people got over The Beatles faster than this!

The endless harking back to the likes of Deus Ex or System Shock can't end well. Increasingly I browse forums and find that gamers can't even look pleasantly on new games cast in the same mould as those classics without blasting them for their modernity. Not long ago I saw someone actually saying that the clunky graphics of System Shock 2 were a primary reason why it was a better game than it’s spiritual successor, BioShock. Regardless of how you feel about BioShock and how it compares to System Shock 2, it’s hard to deny that there’s something wrong there.

Mr Internet Man; you're wrong. Plainly, simply, wrong. You personally may have come to form an emotional bond with System Shock 2's low-poly models, but that doesn't make it a better game. Worse, you've become blinded to that fact. That is A Bad Thing. You've become so hopelessly enamoured with that game that you'll find it hard to enjoy any other title from now on, I think. BioShock may have been littered with concessions for the console crowd and the ending of the game may have been a disappointment compared to the Ayn Rand inspired beginnings, but System Shock 2 had weaknesses too, you know?

That's the bit that nobody ever seems to focus on and, increasingly, it's the bit that drives me around the bend; the idea that these games were totally flawless. They weren't. We just think they were. Even my beloved The Secret of Monkey Island had problems and the fact that I can't actually think of any of them doesn't mean anything other than that I look at the game through the rose-tinted glasses of nostalgia. It proves my point – which is that nostalgia is a dangerous thing for those who want to appreciate games to their fullest.
    Feature - Your Favourite Game Was Rubbish | bit-gamer.net

• Computer Specs
      • Case: Corsair A540
      • Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77 Sniper 3
      • Processor: Intel i7 3770K 4.4GHz
      • Memory: 16GB Blackline 1800
      • Video Card # 1: (2x) ASUS GTX 680 TOP SLI
    Bronze Donor

I've played MMO's for some time. I played the 1st Guild Wars since beta.....played WoW since beta.....and played all the major titles since (Warhammer, Aion, Rift, ect.)

I understand that people like change.....but there is a reason that WoW is such a success...the game system works. I know that I will pre-order GW2, play it, and probably be very happy doing so...but there is a reason that games are successful beyond changes and innovations.

Blog Entries
    • Computer Specs
      • Case: Corsair 250D
      • Motherboard: MSI A88XI AC
      • Processor: AMD A10 7850K
      • Memory: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600
      • Video Card # 1: AMD 6950 overclocked to 840 Mhz
      • Hard Drive # 1: Toshiba 128 GB SSD
      • Hard Drive # 2: Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1 TB
      • Hard Drive # 3: Samsung HD322GJ 320 GB
      • Optical Drive # 1: Optiarc AD 7240S
      • Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 750 G2
      • Sound Card: Onboard Realtek
      • Monitor: Dell U2412M
      • Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
      • Headset: Sennheiser PC151
    Gold Donor
    New Server Contributor
    Steam ID: Voudoun

Somebody had to do WoW's format first though, somebody had to make the leap and do something new or innovate, so why stop? Nothing's perfect, and after so many years I think it's a good idea to take a fresh look.