• Case: Alienware MX-15
      • Processor: Intel Core i7 740 QM @ 1.73ghz
      • Memory: 6gb Ram
      • Video Card # 1: Nvidia GeForce GTX 260M
      • Hard Drive # 1: 600gb Samsung HM640JJ ATA
    Gold Donor
    XFIRE ID: joshuaanders86 Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:42422538

Couple of questions on professions.

Well being as I haven't played GW before I am really curious about the different professions. I have read and watched videos for hours and can't decide.
    What do you guys think about them in general? I really wanted to be a healer in WoW and had high hopes for a monk of the sort in GW2 but in GW2 there doesn't seem to be a healing class so then thought I wanted to be a ranged class (engineer) but I always play ranged so now I am considering a Warrior. The Warrior can use many different weapons so I could be melee and ranged.

I just keep thinking back to my WoW days. Is raiding in Gw2 similar? As in you need a tank, dps, CC, healer and so on?

Am I looking at it all wrong and profession doesn't affect that much in pve?

I have been reading a lot of articles that say the ranger is OP in PVE and PVP but I really don't want a pet class this time.

Blog Entries
    • Computer Specs
      • Case: Corsair 250D
      • Motherboard: MSI A88XI AC
      • Processor: AMD A10 7850K
      • Memory: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600
      • Video Card # 1: AMD 6950 overclocked to 840 Mhz
      • Hard Drive # 1: Toshiba 128 GB SSD
      • Hard Drive # 2: Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1 TB
      • Hard Drive # 3: Samsung HD322GJ 320 GB
      • Optical Drive # 1: Optiarc AD 7240S
      • Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 750 G2
      • Sound Card: Onboard Realtek
      • Monitor: Dell U2412M
      • Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
      • Headset: Sennheiser PC151
    Gold Donor
    New Server Contributor
    Steam ID: Voudoun

Re: Couple of questions on professions.

It's commonly said that there's no tank/healer/dps in Guild Wars 2. It'd be more accurate to say that all classes can do some measure of all of these things, but to different degrees and/or in different ways. What matters is a capability to adapt from one role to the next, combined with the skills you have available. For example, an Elementalist is an obvious dps class, but there's a spell that creates a pool of water which heals all allies who stand in it. There's no targetted healing of individuals, but there are things like this, or group protections to stop you taking the damage in the first place, or buffs. One great example is Battle Standard - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W). Every class has a range of self-heals, can dodge (as long as your character has the energy to do it), and every class can resurrect. With death, you go into a downed state, in which you can fight to a very limited degree, and if you kill an enemy, you get back up again. Or an ally, any ally, can get you back up, though they're unable to do anything else while doing this. While you're downed a meter is drawing down, and when goes to an end, you're effectively dead. However, any class can still bring you back from this state, or you can choose to respawn at the nearest checkpoint.

Guild Wars 2 doesn't have traditional raids. My understanding is that, traditionally with subscription MMOs, the raids are end-game material so that the developer/publisher have you paying subscription fees for as long as possible. Guild Wars 2 draws as much of that material as possible into the main game. With dynamic events anyone can just join in as they're running past, or not if they so choose. These are usually a series of chained quests which vary depending upon whether you succeeded in the previous one or not. Whatever the case, these can wind up with truly monumental battles. There are dungeons, which have varying modes so they can be replayed, but these are level specific ie you must be at least level x, and have a maximum of five players. This is so you're not standing around doing the LFG in towns for who knows how long, and the fact that all classes can do tank/healer/dps means that there isn't an ideal party makeup for each dungeon. This means that you can play the character you want to play, and not what's required. This seems to actually work in practise, because I've seen a video where a team was tackling the earliest dungeon, and three of their party of five were Mesmers.

I hope that answers all your questions.
    Last edited by Voudoun; 08-16-2012 at 03:27 PM.

Images
    • Computer Specs
      • Case: Alienware MX-15
      • Processor: Intel Core i7 740 QM @ 1.73ghz
      • Memory: 6gb Ram
      • Video Card # 1: Nvidia GeForce GTX 260M
      • Hard Drive # 1: 600gb Samsung HM640JJ ATA
    Gold Donor
    XFIRE ID: joshuaanders86 Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:42422538

Re: Couple of questions on professions.

Quote Originally Posted by Voudoun View Post
    This means that you can play the character you want to play, and not what's required. This seems to actually work in practise, because I've seen a video where a team was tackling the earliest dungeon, and three of their party of five were Mesmers.

I hope that answers all your questions.

Exactly what I was hoping to confirm.

Thank you so much for the reply.