Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Gold Donor
    Steam ID: R3TRI8UTI0N

Re: Server population

Quote Originally Posted by TheGodDamnPope View Post
    Wow, it says we have like 6,000. So we would only need about 1% of that to fill the server completely. That's pretty crazy if those numbers are accurate.
    Yeah :/

• Computer Specs
      • Case: Thermaltake Armor A90
      • Motherboard: BIOSTAR TA990FXE
      • Processor: AMD FX-8350 8-Core Black Edition @ 4.0Ghz
      • Memory: G.SKILL 16GB
      • Video Card # 1: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Vapor-X 3GB
      • Hard Drive # 1: OCZ Agility 4 128GB SSD
      • Hard Drive # 2: Seagate 1TB 7200rpm
      • Optical Drive # 1: LG Blu-Ray Combo Drive
      • Power Supply: CORSAIR CX750M
      • Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Z
      • Monitor: Dell 27" 1080p LED IPS
      • Operating System: Windows 8 Pro
      • Headset: Audio Technica ATH-AD700
    Silver Donor

Well we haven't really had anyone in there idling today aside from Deem and myself....
    "Hey girl, iO servers never go down... but I do."

Blog Entries
    • Computer Specs
      • Case: LIAN LI PC-60BPLUSII W Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower
      • Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO
      • Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz
      • Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1600
      • Video Card # 1: Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 7950 Boost 3GB
      • Hard Drive # 1: SAMSUNG 830 Series 2.5-Inch 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
      • Hard Drive # 2: Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB
      • Hard Drive # 3: Western Digital Caviar SE 160GB
      • Hard Drive # 4: Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB
      • Optical Drive # 1: PLEXTOR 18X DVD±R Super Multi DVD Burner
      • Optical Drive # 2: LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner
      • Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W
      • Monitor: NEC Display Solutions FE992-BK Black 19" CRT Monitor
      • Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
      • Headset: SENNHEISER PC160
      • Mice: SteelSeries Kinzu v2 Optical Gaming Mouse
      • Keyboard: Ducky DK9008 Shine 2 White LED Backlit Mechanical Keyboard (Red Cherry MX)
    Steam ID: marrr

Quote Originally Posted by R3TRI8UTI0N View Post
    I know that you can't change whenever you want and you need to have a conversation with Nick. But, maybe it is time to have that conversation...
    Yea.

I have no doubt you know how to do those things, lol, I'm just putting myself out to help if anything does change. Remember I did help Thorr and Nick previously on another iteration of the iO site.
    Yea, I remember you letting them know you can help.

Why would you choose xenforo over mybb, other than your stated reason? (Purely for education, I'm not trying to say mybb is the better choice or anything)
    If i remember correctly Nicky, Thor and I agreed we should switch to xenforo when the new site was being made. Xenforo is the best forum software out there currently. I know I saw a couple sites running it and they looked great.

Blog Entries
    • Computer Specs
      • Hard Drive # 1: SAMSUNG 830 Series 2.5-Inch 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
      • Keyboard: Ducky DK9008 Shine 2 White LED Backlit Mechanical Keyboard (Red Cherry MX)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGodDamnPope View Post
    Well we haven't really had anyone in there idling today aside from Deem and myself....
    I just wish they would let us idle again. I have never seen anyone cry about admins being idle in game on battlelog.

Gold Donor

I did actually help them for a little while, but that was around the time I was becoming busy, and eventually lead to my absence.

So Marr, what is going to be done?

• Computer Specs
      • Motherboard: MSI P35 Platinum
      • Processor: Intel Core 2 Quatro Q6600 2.4GHZ OC TO 3.0GhZ
      • Memory: 2x2Gb DDR PC2-6400
      • Video Card # 1: XFX GeForce 8800GT 512Mb
      • Video Card # 2: XFX GeForce 8800GT 512 MB
      • Hard Drive # 1: Western Digital 500GB 7200 16Mb Cache
      • Hard Drive # 2: Western Digital 500GB 7200 16Mb Cache
      • Hard Drive # 3: Western Digital 1.0TB 32MB cache
      • Optical Drive # 1: Pioneer DVD+-RW
      • Power Supply: OCZ 700W
      • Sound Card: Realtek HD Audio
      • Monitor: Dell 20 widescreen & Samsung 21.6 Widescreen & Dell E2010H 20" Widescreen
      • Operating System: Windows 7 64bit
    Gold Donor
    New Server Contributor

Just to add to this thread. I am still around, i read the few new posts that pop up here every once in a while. I just gave up trying to do everything (dev related ) mostly by myself.

If i am being completely honest i agree with, and i think i have mentioned to nick and marrr before, that we should have just archived the VB forums (and possibly the rest of the content), and launched a new forum from scratch.

I would also vote for XenForo, i have seen several sites that have used it to a great potential and i have done a fair bit of digging around the source to extend and see how it works. Keep in mind though that the other platforms like ipb also have their advantages.

The other thing that you have to keep in mind is that we run pretty much on donations, and the way the donations work and are handled are tied to this current website.

Gold Donor

Quote Originally Posted by thorrr View Post
    The other thing that you have to keep in mind is that we run pretty much on donations, and the way the donations work and are handled are tied to this current website.
    Can you expand on this? I guess I don't understand what you mean. Are you saying we will lose donations from that? I don't see that happening as long as donors have a subscription. People that donate month-to-month will just have to find the new button.

And mar, if you could tell me the requirements to host this site (server wise) that'd be great.

• Computer Specs
      • Motherboard: MSI P35 Platinum
      • Processor: Intel Core 2 Quatro Q6600 2.4GHZ OC TO 3.0GhZ
      • Memory: 2x2Gb DDR PC2-6400
      • Video Card # 1: XFX GeForce 8800GT 512Mb
      • Video Card # 2: XFX GeForce 8800GT 512 MB
      • Hard Drive # 1: Western Digital 500GB 7200 16Mb Cache
      • Hard Drive # 2: Western Digital 500GB 7200 16Mb Cache
      • Hard Drive # 3: Western Digital 1.0TB 32MB cache
      • Optical Drive # 1: Pioneer DVD+-RW
      • Power Supply: OCZ 700W
      • Sound Card: Realtek HD Audio
      • Monitor: Dell 20 widescreen & Samsung 21.6 Widescreen & Dell E2010H 20" Widescreen
      • Operating System: Windows 7 64bit
    Gold Donor
    New Server Contributor

Can you expand on this? I guess I don't understand what you mean. Are you saying we will lose donations from that? I don't see that happening as long as donors have a subscription. People that donate month-to-month will just have to find the new button.
    I meant more the way that the donations are kept track of. As far as i know the subs will still go through even if you ignore the paypal notifications.

And mar, if you could tell me the requirements to host this site (server wise) that'd be great.
    The current stats of the web server are on Donor Stats - iO Gaming

The requirements to host this site are not that much really, but those requirements do go up the more traffic and the more things we want to do. But to just run a barebones forum and possibly another database bans type app, the requirements are quite small.

Blog Entries
    • Computer Specs

What Thor said above.. Plus we host like 6 other websites on our VPS.

Gold Donor

So how's that website nuke/redesign?

I'll try to help around whenever possible.

Gold Donor

Also, other communities seem to advertise their servers a bit differently than we do. Granted, most of the other servers I play on the admins are pretty dickish, but that's beside the point (they wanted to ban me after accidentally ramming an attack heli LOL, assholes). And some common ones seem to be high tickets, with the ability to !surrender after a set amount.

I understand BF4 is dying already, but that doesn't mean we can't try to change it and model some of the other servers. A good name for us could be

[iO] 24/7 CONQUEST | HIGH TICKS | NO LAG | GOOD ADMINS | iogaming.net #1

I'll have more to say later.

they wanted to ban me after accidentally ramming an attack heli
    Try being banned for killing an admin camping in their spawn (against the rules) or kicked for being int Puerto Rico and "having high ping" (which is constantly in the 80ms area, with people in that server having 200-300ms pings. Right.

I understand BF4 is dying already
    Uhm, no? Here's some numbers.

Battlefield 4

Battlefield Hardline
    Attached Images
    Last edited by rmcsc; 04-14-2015 at 03:49 PM.

Gold Donor

By dying I mean't overall, not just because of Hardline. Don't you undermine me woman!

But for real, I think we've really got our admins going for us more so than others. I mean, I see stories like yours all the time, and then I'm just sitting here on iO like, wut..?

Gold Donor

So, here’s my list of wants and needs for this community. I figure here is a fine place instead of a new thread… Also, you’re gonna see a lot of me saying this is what I want to see. I’m not trying to be selfish. If you guys have input or critizism or whatever, for the love of god put it in a reply and quote me. Also, I'm not being harsh or maliciously rude, being rude is how I joke and you guys should know that :P

Naming
    As I mentioned before, server naming conventions. Personally, I’m more drawn to a title with the caps lock on displaying their features. Normally, caps locked titles bug me and look unprofessional, but on battlelog it seems thats the cool thing to do, and it looks like it works. Here’s one I’ve got:

[iO] 24/7 Conquest | ALL WEAPONS | NO LAG | GOOD ADMINS | iogaming.net

Plugins
    For some reason people seem to like plugins. Personally, the only reason I like them is it makes it seem like the server is run by competent people and by people that either 1, listen to their players, or 2, The server is more than just your average run of the mill server.

I’ve seen a plugin a lot recently that allows teams to surrender when the ticket difference is too great. This seems pretty cool to me, but is more common on high ticket servers. While were here, it also might be a good idea to raise the default ticket count, that way the players that we do get will stay longer, allowing for other players to see a more "successful" server, which will boost the population more.

This plugin for tracking kill streaks is another one that I see on a couple servers, and I actually kind of like it. Makes people play for a goal other than just to win the game, and again makes the server more than just average.

I have also seen this plugin, however right now I think it’s something we should just save and revisit later..

Here’s a plugin to help with server seeding, which will balance seeder accounts so that there As aren’t too many AFK players on one team. It has the ability to track whether or not the specified players are actually playing instead of seeding, so that it won’t switch them around. This plugin’s benefit comes from how new players are added to the server, filling up the team that has the least amount of players. There’s a warning about other auto balance plugins, but we can get around that since Admins are whitelisted from auto balance.

Also, one thing I noticed. If we keep advertising donations and stuff on the Yell channel, people will just begin to not even see it on the screen. And not just the donate yells, but even messages that we send. I think we should just keep those in the chat box instead. I realize the reason we changed to yell was probably because some people hide the chat box, but unless it’s really making an impact, it needs to be removed or else people will ignore important messages from us.

Seeding / populating
    Seeding is very important to jumpstart these servers, as we all know already. However, it can sometimes be difficult, or if people that normally seed are not around to join the server, this can also cause difficulties. There is a Chrome extension on the web store that will use your favorites list on Battlelog and automatically join and keep you on the server (on up to 8 at one time apparently..) until the server fills to half its max population (or whatever you enter into the popup box, half that).

Currently, when I leave for class or work what I will do is get that all set up, make sure to change BF4 to windowed mode on the lowest res setting, and then just minimize it. The game ends up using less than 5% of my CPU, and because it’s just sitting on the deploy screen the GPU doesn’t do much work either (or at all, I’m not sure how things are handled when minimized). Also, my CPU is pretty old, so it may actually use less for those of you with higher end processors.

Recruiting
    Yeah, this again. Basically the same as always. Communicate well with players in the server. Have chats with them in the message box, and talk to others in your squads with voice. If they seem to be having a good time, ask them to check out our website, and to think about joining. Also, I would somehow make it known that you’re an admin (if you are that is! This section applies to everyone who’s a member of iO, we need all the help we can get and you are vital to our success!) because who doesn't like a friendly admin?

I’m sure I’ll expand on this later. Hell, maybe I’ll make a guide entitled "How to recruit: lazy bastard edition"

Our website
    Nuke it. The whole thing. The best idea I’ve got is have a CMS (wordpress probably) as the main website for like the homepage and whatever, and have the forums separate but with a similar theme. Everyone knows how to use wordpress, and those who don’t it’s easy to learn. My thought here is that we can have a few people that are responsible for updating the main site with the latest gaming news, or feature people’s videos they may put up here. This way it looks like 1, we actually care about our members, since we do.., and 2, the front page that everyone sees first is almost constantly including different things. And not just titles of posts, but pictures and videos and shit. I’ve seen some pretty cool themes out there, and everything can be changed. Here’s my task for you guys, find a cool wordpress theme you like, and think might work for us, (as long as its free) and post it here. I’ll check it out and see what we can do. Then, we can model the forums after it, or install a wordpress plugin that can actually just take a XenForo node and put it onto a wordpress page.

Let’s see.. what else.. I think that’s it, though I really want to put a HUGE emphasis on member created content. I want that shit all over our front page. We can put donations in the side bar, staff online, server player counts, whatever. I’ve seen some sites that quietly and unobtrusively put non-obnoxious ads on pages to help with money. I don’t know what it is with all the other gaming communities, but their sites look like a 4 year old mashed some keys. That’s not how I see iO, and that’s not how I think we want others to see us. For the time being (until it gets big) I’ll even host all this on my company for free.

Edit> idk about the main website thing. Like I said before, maybe just a forums is fine? Plus, xen can act as a website as well, so we can get the same functionality or close to it.

Wrap up

I think that’s all I’ve got right now. Maybe once we get bigger we should think about expanding out and recruiting players from other games to run other aspects of our community. Like my original thought about PlanetSide2, there’s a huge market for a player-run outfit, and if we could buy into this that would be great. It’ll be hard to find the first few people, and eventually put them in charge of PS2 events (mandatory game nights are pretty common in that world)

I would show examples of things I’d like to see that I’ve pulled from other communities, but idk if that’s the best idea right here. We lack structure and activity, which is a huge component to any community. We should also start thinking about events. Marr and nicky, I know you guys have ideas, I mean, you’re the reason why there was ever 5k members.

COMMENTS QUESTIONS CONCERNS. QUOTE AND REPLY. TY.
    Last edited by R3TRI8UTI0N; 04-20-2015 at 02:19 PM. Reason: link formatting

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast