Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Gold Donor

Re: Server population

Quote Originally Posted by R3TRI8UTI0N View Post
    Naming
    As I mentioned before, server naming conventions. Personally, I’m more drawn to a title with the caps lock on displaying their features. Normally, caps locked titles bug me and look unprofessional, but on battlelog it seems thats the cool thing to do, and it looks like it works. Here’s one I’ve got:

[iO] 24/7 Conquest | ALL WEAPONS | NO LAG | GOOD ADMINS | iogaming.net
    Im not especially for or against a new name, worth a try imo...
    Some maps are sensitive to lag, so we shouldnt advertise 'no lag'...
    We need to put [NFO-CHI] in it.

[iO] 24/7 Conquest | ALL WEAPONS | GOOD ADMINS | iogaming.net [NFO-CHI] ?

Plugins
    I’ve seen a plugin a lot recently that allows teams to surrender when the ticket difference is too great. This seems pretty cool to me, but is more common on high ticket servers. While were here, it also might be a good idea to raise the default ticket count, that way the players that we do get will stay longer, allowing for other players to see a more "successful" server, which will boost the population more.
    !surrender seems like a cool plugin on a full server.
    Would be great if we could activate it after a certain number of players.
    When we're starting the server it would work more against than for us.
    People tent to leave after a round, also when !surrendered I think.

Ticket increase could help populating, but probably will also change the server to custom, which is also something that often makes it harder to fill :/

This plugin for tracking kill streaks is another one that I see on a couple servers, and I actually kind of like it. Makes people play for a goal other than just to win the game, and again makes the server more than just average.

With those kill plugins there is more text in the chat. If it's not way harder to read what people say, i.e. when they need an admin Im not anti.
    For me it has no addintinal value really (my streak ends at 5 or so anyways ), but if many people like it, why not...

I would prefer the !rank thingy back again, unfortunately it had to go due to less donations.

Here’s a plugin to help with server seeding, which will balance seeder accounts so that there As aren’t too many AFK players on one team. It has the ability to track whether or not the specified players are actually playing instead of seeding, so that it won’t switch them around. This plugin’s benefit comes from how new players are added to the server, filling up the team that has the least amount of players. There’s a warning about other auto balance plugins, but we can get around that since Admins are whitelisted from auto balance.
    Admins are white listed, but the current one does consider skill, rank etc. We would have an even amount of idlers/ seeders on each team, but could have unbalanced teams by skill if it conflicts with the current AB.

Also, one thing I noticed. If we keep advertising donations and stuff on the Yell channel, people will just begin to not even see it on the screen. And not just the donate yells, but even messages that we send. I think we should just keep those in the chat box instead. I realize the reason we changed to yell was probably because some people hide the chat box, but unless it’s really making an impact, it needs to be removed or else people will ignore important messages from us.
    Is it still on there? I didnt notice...

A new round of auto-text wouldnt be bad imo. Relatively easy to change and people might notice it again...

Seeding / populating
    Seeding is very important to jumpstart these servers, as we all know already. However, it can sometimes be difficult, or if people that normally seed are not around to join the server, this can also cause difficulties. There is a Chrome extension on the web store that will use your favorites list on Battlelog and automatically join and keep you on the server (on up to 8 at one time apparently..) until the server fills to half its max population (or whatever you enter into the popup box, half that).

Currently, when I leave for class or work what I will do is get that all set up, make sure to change BF4 to windowed mode on the lowest res setting, and then just minimize it. The game ends up using less than 5% of my CPU, and because it’s just sitting on the deploy screen the GPU doesn’t do much work either (or at all, I’m not sure how things are handled when minimized). Also, my CPU is pretty old, so it may actually use less for those of you with higher end processors.
    Will try that asap, when switched to chrome...

Our website
    Nuke it. The whole thing. The best idea I’ve got is have a CMS (wordpress probably) as the main website for like the homepage and whatever, and have the forums separate but with a similar theme. Everyone knows how to use wordpress, and those who don’t it’s easy to learn. My thought here is that we can have a few people that are responsible for updating the main site with the latest gaming news, or feature people’s videos they may put up here. This way it looks like 1, we actually care about our members, since we do.., and 2, the front page that everyone sees first is almost constantly including different things. And not just titles of posts, but pictures and videos and shit. I’ve seen some pretty cool themes out there, and everything can be changed. Here’s my task for you guys, find a cool wordpress theme you like, and think might work for us, (as long as its free) and post it here. I’ll check it out and see what we can do. Then, we can model the forums after it, or install a wordpress plugin that can actually just take a XenForo node and put it onto a wordpress page.

Let’s see.. what else.. I think that’s it, though I really want to put a HUGE emphasis on member created content. I want that shit all over our front page. We can put donations in the side bar, staff online, server player counts, whatever. I’ve seen some sites that quietly and unobtrusively put non-obnoxious ads on pages to help with money. I don’t know what it is with all the other gaming communities, but their sites look like a 4 year old mashed some keys. That’s not how I see iO, and that’s not how I think we want others to see us. For the time being (until it gets big) I’ll even host all this on my company for free.

Edit> idk about the main website thing. Like I said before, maybe just a forums is fine? Plus, xen can act as a website as well, so we can get the same functionality or close to it.
    As I replied before Im for a new website aswell... even if it's a basic one, like [iO] had years ago.

I hope Nick (/marrr) finds time to look at this (all)...

Last edited by Deemnath88; 04-21-2015 at 03:55 PM.

Gold Donor
    Steam ID: R3TRI8UTI0N

Re: Server population

Quote Originally Posted by Deemnath88 View Post
    Im not especially for or against a new name, worth a try imo...
    Some maps are sensitive to lag, so we shouldnt advertise 'no lag'...
    We need to put [NFO-CHI] in it.
    Eh, I don't ever notice any lag. And even so, that's not network/server lag due to a shit server. Our servers are pretty robust compared to some. We can thank NFO for that.

Ticket increase could help populating, but probably will also change the server to custom, which is also something that often makes it harder to fill :/
    I see these servers all the time and they aren't custom mode, so idk.

With those kill plugins there is more text in the chat. If it's not way harder to read what people say, i.e. when they need an admin Im not anti.
    For me it has no addintinal value really (my streak ends at 5 or so anyways ), but if many people like it, why not...

I would prefer the !rank thingy back again, unfortunately it had to go due to less donations.
    I agree with both points, however, we could always just configure it to not spam constantly like some servers. Only go off for like quadra or penta kills and backstabs (and maybe just all knifing?) And remember, it can add value. Like, who doesn't fight for multi kills or like to be recognized for them in an FPS? BF4 doesn't really do a good job advertising your triumph.

Admins are white listed, but the current one does consider skill, rank etc. We would have an even amount of idlers/ seeders on each team, but could have unbalanced teams by skill if it conflicts with the current AB.
    The point I had with the plugin was this way, usually when you seed you are afk, the server will automatically even out the seeders. This was you don't have too many on one team, pissing people off (and making them leave, which is the polar opposite of what we want during that time)

Is it still on there? I didnt notice...

A new round of auto-text wouldnt be bad imo. Relatively easy to change and people might notice it again...
    Haha, exactly. I can come up with some new text. But we need to get rid of automated messages over yell. And if we get that killstreak plugin, for the love of god do not put it mainscreen.

Will try that asap, when switched to chrome...
    I encourage everyone to use it.

As I replied before Im for a new website aswell... even if it's a basic one, like [iO] had years ago.
    I talked to nicky, I guess we have one ready to go (the one I sorta worked on alongside thorr and nick), he just hasn't had time to prep everything for the move and such.
    Last edited by R3TRI8UTI0N; 04-24-2015 at 07:25 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123