Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Gold Donor
    Steam ID: R3TRI8UTI0N

Server population

I know we must've talked about this before, whether in public or staff things, but I don't know if it's ever really been discussed in the detail it needs(?) to be.

Why do our server(s) die, when others seem to be almost always populated? I'm honestly beginning to wonder if its a problem with hosting, rather than us. Maybe Battlelog prefers other hosts over NFO for whatever reason.

Or, what about the number of active members. Is it because our site is too complicated for the average person? (I'm being totally serious, if you look at other community's sites they are much simpler, and easier on the eyes). Maybe it's time for a readical change. A last-ditch attempt to change what we're about. By radical, I mean overall site function, design, color, everything. Maybe we shouldn't have a landing page, but just our forum with some sidebars.

Is it because of us? The current members and staff? Are we not inviting enough, or is it something else?

I'm sorry if you guys feel as if I'm attacking you, the community, or this shouldn't exactly be here in this sub-forum, but I feel these are some really important questions, and I feel as if I have a right to ask them. As far as I can tell, things have only gotten worse since I've left.

A note: don't shoot down what I have here with the same talk that's been talked before. Whatever your reason is, it isn't worth the death of this once great community. It's time to get over it and it's time for change.

Thanks guys :P like I said, glad to be back
    Last edited by R3TRI8UTI0N; 02-02-2015 at 08:59 PM.

Gold Donor
    Steam ID: ecip

Re: Server population

The site needs an overhaul; I dont know what the holdup is, there's supposed to be a redesigned website live a long time ago.
    The battlefield series is dead. Imo it died with BF3. BF4 is a joke. There are barely any servers populated anymore.

If possible, ditch EA servers and set up a free, unrated server?
    This whole thing with having to pay EA to host is a joke. They make you do it so that interest fades and you're forced to spend more money on a new game.

• Computer Specs
      • Processor: i7-920
      • Memory: 9GB
      • Video Card # 1: EVGA Nvidia GTX 760 Superclocked
      • Power Supply: 1KW
      • Monitor: 23"
      • Operating System: Win7
    Bronze Donor

Honestly the server has no problem populating as long as we can get 5-6 people in the middle of afternoon to get her started. Unfortunately just takes a while to get to that point. Also I don't get home till 7pm PST nowadays thanks to work.. can't help much there.

Gold Donor

Agreed that there is much to gain adjusting the website.
    Unfortunately not easily done,...as I understood.

I don't think it's because of NFO. Server did decent for a good while but since a patched
    changed the idle option and adaptive server thingy it's been way harder.
    The server does fill up when there are a few people in the server,...when it's not too late yet.
    I think later at the day people went elsewhere already. Unfortunately not many available people
    earlier in the day.

Though personally I don't see a 'quick fix' I find your post a good initiative and hope something
    constructive will come of it.

Gold Donor

In the short term, sure there is not much to gain in the website. In the long term, it can mean more player retention, meaning more iO peeps to populate the servers.

If BF4 isn't the solution anymore, then what games are popular out there that we can dedicate time to?

We don't have to host servers. What about PlanetSide or League? If any of us are interested in PS, maybe we should start a outfit.

I suppose this thread isn't really related to Battlefield, but a general "what can we do to survive and grow?" so maybe it should be elsewhere. Ideas guys, I can't be the only one here with a voice, I know you all have ideas too. There's been 47 views so far, but only 3 posts if you don't count me.

Btw, are you guys still doing monthly battlefield staff meetings or...?

Gold Donor
    Steam ID: ecip

I had planetside 2 sitting on my desktop for a while, dont think i've played it. lol

Gold Donor

Quote Originally Posted by R3TRI8UTI0N View Post
    We don't have to host servers.
    Not sure on what game, but interesting thought to aim at a game that's not hosted by iO.

I really do mean interesting, on this one. To prevent miscommunications

Btw, are you guys still doing monthly battlefield staff meetings or...?
    Cause there weren't any pressing and/or big topics that couldnt get discussed in the admin section it's been put off till further notice...
    Last edited by Deemnath88; 02-04-2015 at 01:02 PM.

• Computer Specs
      • Case: Thermaltake Armor A90
      • Motherboard: BIOSTAR TA990FXE
      • Processor: AMD FX-8350 8-Core Black Edition @ 4.0Ghz
      • Memory: G.SKILL 16GB
      • Video Card # 1: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Vapor-X 3GB
      • Hard Drive # 1: OCZ Agility 4 128GB SSD
      • Hard Drive # 2: Seagate 1TB 7200rpm
      • Optical Drive # 1: LG Blu-Ray Combo Drive
      • Power Supply: CORSAIR CX750M
      • Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Z
      • Monitor: Dell 27" 1080p LED IPS
      • Operating System: Windows 8 Pro
      • Headset: Audio Technica ATH-AD700
    Silver Donor

Quote Originally Posted by sjbushido View Post
    Honestly the server has no problem populating as long as we can get 5-6 people in the middle of afternoon to get her started.
    ^ This.

Nobody is going to join unless we have at least a handful of people in there already. The only nights the server isn't populated is when nobody idles to start it off.

Unfortunately once you get more than 4 people in that's when it starts kicking for idling, so you have to keep an eye on it.
    "Hey girl, iO servers never go down... but I do."

Gold Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Ecip View Post
    I had planetside 2 sitting on my desktop for a while, dont think i've played it. lol
    I quite enjoyed PS2, but after gaining some rank and being part of things, I didn't like the way my outfit treated recruits. Something I think we are more aware of, and must actually listen to recruits instead of putting them down. Outside eyes are more often than not, the best eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by Deemnath88 View Post
    I really do mean interesting, on this one. To prevent miscommunications
    Haha, when I say interesting I actually mean its interesting. Like how a candlepower used to be .981 of a candela, but is now a 1:1 ratio, and we no longer use candelas but lumens to measure light intensity. Unless I'm tired of arguing about how a clock speed does not always equal better performance when compared against other products. Ehem, AMD vs Intel...

Quote Originally Posted by TheGodDamnPope View Post
    Nobody is going to join unless we have at least a handful of people in there already. The only nights the server isn't populated is when nobody idles to start it off.
    Well, once I get my new computer I'll have already moved into my new house in which the electricity bill is covered by rent, meaning that bad boy will be on and idling 24/7 But my question is, why does our server die in the first place, but others do not?

More more more, what games are good guys?

Blog Entries
    • Computer Specs
      • Case: LIAN LI PC-60BPLUSII W Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower
      • Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO
      • Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz
      • Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1600
      • Video Card # 1: Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 7950 Boost 3GB
      • Hard Drive # 1: SAMSUNG 830 Series 2.5-Inch 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
      • Hard Drive # 2: Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB
      • Hard Drive # 3: Western Digital Caviar SE 160GB
      • Hard Drive # 4: Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB
      • Optical Drive # 1: PLEXTOR 18X DVD±R Super Multi DVD Burner
      • Optical Drive # 2: LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner
      • Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W
      • Monitor: NEC Display Solutions FE992-BK Black 19" CRT Monitor
      • Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
      • Headset: SENNHEISER PC160
      • Mice: SteelSeries Kinzu v2 Optical Gaming Mouse
      • Keyboard: Ducky DK9008 Shine 2 White LED Backlit Mechanical Keyboard (Red Cherry MX)
    Steam ID: marrr

I know we must've talked about this before, whether in public or staff things, but I don't know if it's ever really been discussed in the detail it needs(?) to be.

Why do our server(s) die, when others seem to be almost always populated? I'm honestly beginning to wonder if its a problem with hosting, rather than us. Maybe Battlelog prefers other hosts over NFO for whatever reason.
    Well certain things can cause people to leave.
    #1 uneven teams.
    #2 server losing connection to the backend.

If you check out the procon forums you will see that a lot of people have problems with the backend emptying out their servers. This should never happen..

Another thing that sucks is you can't even idle anymore. At one point they made it, so you could then when DICE LA took over they changed it back. I guess they are working on something in CTE about idle kick
    Idle kick system enhancements
    Option to enable when player count is equal or greater than a percentage of max players
    Exposed to procon and console server admin
    Default is 22% for official servers
    One interesting thing is if you go here
    BF4 Server Stats | BF4DB.com
    search for [iO]
    it supposedly tells you how many people that have bookmarked your server.
    Or, what about the number of active members. Is it because our site is too complicated for the average person? (I'm being totally serious, if you look at other community's sites they are much simpler, and easier on the eyes). Maybe it's time for a readical change. A last-ditch attempt to change what we're about. By radical, I mean overall site function, design, color, everything. Maybe we shouldn't have a landing page, but just our forum with some sidebars.
    Yea, the site needs an overhaul. It was never finished from the start. The forums itself is hard to update because all the custom stuff that was added in. Nothing was ever documented, so we wouldn't know how to reinstall it. The forums looking like a ghost town doesn't help.

The people that are capable of updating the site are no longer active anymore. In fact there was already work being done on a new site, but that died I guess.

If it was up to me I would delete the whole site, and start fresh with a different forum software. vBulletin is garbage now that the original people got bought out.
    Is it because of us? The current members and staff? Are we not inviting enough, or is it something else?
    I have no clue why its hard for us to recruit.
    I'm sorry if you guys feel as if I'm attacking you, the community, or this shouldn't exactly be here in this sub-forum, but I feel these are some really important questions, and I feel as if I have a right to ask them. As far as I can tell, things have only gotten worse since I've left.

A note: don't shoot down what I have here with the same talk that's been talked before. Whatever your reason is, it isn't worth the death of this once great community. It's time to get over it and it's time for change.

Thanks guys :P like I said, glad to be back
    Np, dude.. I like reading feedback from people.

Gold Donor

Quote Originally Posted by marrr View Post
    Yea, the site needs an overhaul. It was never finished from the start. The forums itself is hard to update because all the custom stuff that was added in. Nothing was ever documented, so we wouldn't know how to reinstall it. The forums looking like a ghost town doesn't help.

The people that are capable of updating the site are no longer active anymore. In fact there was already work being done on a new site, but that died I guess.

If it was up to me I would delete the whole site, and start fresh with a different forum software. vBulletin is garbage now that the original people got bought out.
    I am entirely capable of creating a new forum from something else people use like mybb or ipboard. Time is an issue, but I am able to spend time here and there. I don't know if we should bother with an additional site on top of the forum. I think a customized landing page that's already provided by a software is fine, or even just a forum with side bars.

Nuking the site could be good and bad. It could be bad because then we have the appearance of being new and smaller than we are, and likely to fade away in the night like all the rest. However, maybe we could offset that by advertising that this is our new site, and that we've actually been around for a while.

Then again, its good because finally we get rid of all the old, unnecessary shit that's piled up over the years, and not worry about transferring it all or compatibility.

Personally, I'm with you on starting from scratch. Restoring old content makes us outdated and bloated, and stuck in the past. Marr, if this is an option, then I think you, I, and some others need to sit down after doing some independent research on whats a good platform to go to, have a list of our concerns and priorities, and talk about what to do. Oh also, if we do start from scratch, I own a web hosting company. I'll just leave that there.

edit> In my opinion from what I've seen so far, MyBB has the best features around, plus their great support for mods/plugins, and personally I like this theme or this, this2, this3 (here's a list), though the color might need some tweaking lol.

I've set up a MyBB example site.
    Site
    Admin :: admin : pass

Discourse seems really cool as well, but its a $99 fee if you want to install and host it yourself. I really like the whole infinite load idea, where instead of clicking next to go to the next page, you can just keep scrolling. Though it seems theres no sub-sub categories, meaning we can't do something like Games > EA > BF4, only EA > BF4. Deal breaker? Or maybe a new structure with the new vision will work in this case. I don't think so.

I have no clue why its hard for us to recruit.
    Recruiting in game seems to be easy, its the keeping them to stick around or actually sign up that's the problem. I'm going to blame the site on that.
    Last edited by R3TRI8UTI0N; 02-04-2015 at 06:53 PM.

Gold Donor

Haha, when I say interesting I actually mean its interesting. Like how a candlepower used to be .981 of a candela, but is now a 1:1 ratio, and we no longer use candelas but lumens to measure light intensity. Unless I'm tired of arguing about how a clock speed does not always equal better performance when compared against other products. Ehem, AMD vs Intel...
    Ahuh ja, interesting ;-)

Nuking the site could be good and bad. It could be bad because then we have the appearance of being new and smaller than we are, and likely to fade away in the night like all the rest. However, maybe we could offset that by advertising that this is our new site, and that we've actually been around for a while.

Then again, its good because finally we get rid of all the old, unnecessary shit that's piled up over the years, and not worry about transferring it all or compatibility.
    Cuts both ways. Imo a new one is better, with the risk of looking smaller etc, than a big member count and hardly anyone to post. The big contrast could be even worse.

Recruiting in game seems to be easy, its the keeping them to stick around or actually sign up that's the problem. I'm going to blame the site on that.
    I don't know. Last few joiners seemed interested, joined the server, added iO-ers to their list, chatted and...somehow lost interest. Could also be due to the server not doing so great atm.

Don't know how it will all go, not e-technical here, but cool that you can make a website and such and offer to help!

Blog Entries
    • Computer Specs
      • Case: LIAN LI PC-60BPLUSII W Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower
      • Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO
      • Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz
      • Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1600
      • Video Card # 1: Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 7950 Boost 3GB
      • Hard Drive # 1: SAMSUNG 830 Series 2.5-Inch 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
      • Hard Drive # 2: Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB
      • Hard Drive # 3: Western Digital Caviar SE 160GB
      • Hard Drive # 4: Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB
      • Optical Drive # 1: PLEXTOR 18X DVD±R Super Multi DVD Burner
      • Optical Drive # 2: LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner
      • Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W
      • Monitor: NEC Display Solutions FE992-BK Black 19" CRT Monitor
      • Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
      • Headset: SENNHEISER PC160
      • Mice: SteelSeries Kinzu v2 Optical Gaming Mouse
      • Keyboard: Ducky DK9008 Shine 2 White LED Backlit Mechanical Keyboard (Red Cherry MX)
    Steam ID: marrr

I am entirely capable of creating a new forum from something else people use like mybb or ipboard. Time is an issue, but I am able to spend time here and there. I don't know if we should bother with an additional site on top of the forum. I think a customized landing page that's already provided by a software is fine, or even just a forum with side bars.

Personally, I'm with you on starting from scratch. Restoring old content makes us outdated and bloated, and stuck in the past. Marr, if this is an option, then I think you, I, and some others need to sit down after doing some independent research on whats a good platform to go to, have a list of our concerns and priorities, and talk about what to do. Oh also, if we do start from scratch, I own a web hosting company. I'll just leave that there.

edit> In my opinion from what I've seen so far, MyBB has the best features around, plus their great support for mods/plugins, and personally I like this theme (here's a list), though the color might need some tweaking lol.

I've set up a MyBB example site.
    Site
    Admin :: admin : pass

Discourse seems really cool as well, but its a $99 fee if you want to install and host it yourself. I really like the whole infinite load idea, where instead of clicking next to go to the next page, you can just keep scrolling. Though it seems theres no sub-sub categories, meaning we can't do something like Games > EA > BF4, only EA > BF4. Deal breaker? Or maybe a new structure with the new vision will work in this case. I don't think so.

Keep in mind I just can't change things whenever I want. Nick has to agree too.

I do know how to setup the forum software, and related tasks.

If we were to ever change the forum software I would go with xenforo. It was created by 2 lead devs of VB that left after it was bought out.

Gold Donor

Keep in mind I just can't change things whenever I want. Nick has to agree too.
    I know that you can't change whenever you want and you need to have a conversation with Nick. But, maybe it is time to have that conversation...

I do know how to setup the forum software, and related tasks.
    I have no doubt you know how to do those things, lol, I'm just putting myself out to help if anything does change. Remember I did help Thorr and Nick previously on another iteration of the iO site.

If we were to ever change the forum software I would go with xenforo. It was created by 2 lead devs of VB that left after it was bought out.
    Why would you choose xenforo over mybb, other than your stated reason? (Purely for education, I'm not trying to say mybb is the better choice or anything)

• Computer Specs
      • Case: Thermaltake Armor A90
      • Motherboard: BIOSTAR TA990FXE
      • Processor: AMD FX-8350 8-Core Black Edition @ 4.0Ghz
      • Memory: G.SKILL 16GB
      • Video Card # 1: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Vapor-X 3GB
      • Hard Drive # 1: OCZ Agility 4 128GB SSD
      • Hard Drive # 2: Seagate 1TB 7200rpm
      • Optical Drive # 1: LG Blu-Ray Combo Drive
      • Power Supply: CORSAIR CX750M
      • Monitor: Dell 27" 1080p LED IPS
      • Operating System: Windows 8 Pro
      • Headset: Audio Technica ATH-AD700
    Silver Donor

One interesting thing is if you go here
    BF4 Server Stats | BF4DB.com
    search for [iO]
    it supposedly tells you how many people that have bookmarked your server.
    Wow, it says we have like 6,000. So we would only need about 1% of that to fill the server completely. That's pretty crazy if those numbers are accurate.
    "Hey girl, iO servers never go down... but I do."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast