Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Six
    Images
    Steam ID: fatalsolo@sbcglobal.net

F'd in the A HARD... -drive failure

(EDIT::: Problem solved, thanks to Krosen for the comment tho)
    (EDIT::: I'm the luckiest damned fool on this watery rock. I gotta be prepared next time)

I just had my ancient IDE harddrive fail on me. It was making clicking noises for a long time. Screws me over so bad hundereds and hundereds of hours of work gone if I can't get the files off of it.

Horrible timing though I had a new release of my game coming out very soon. Just released a version on desura. About to sign a contract with GamersGate. Got interviews scheduled I was supposed to show new video for. So I really got F'd in the A on this one.

But on the bright side I always thrive in these situations and there's a good chance it'll turn out even better.
    And I was lucky enough to get my PC to accept SATA hard-drives again. So I'm back at it.
    But no games for me for just about the whole month. Gotta work like 16 hours a day now. (not that far off from what I was doin anyway)

Anyone know how i should be tryin to get my files off of this thing? Is it going to be something a professional has to do or can I just get an external docking station and plug it in. (thats wat i did with a sata a few years ago.)

Thanks for any input guys!
    Last edited by Six; 10-01-2012 at 01:10 PM.

• Computer Specs
      • Motherboard: XFX 680i
      • Processor: Core 2 Duo 3.0
      • Memory: 4G G. Skill 1000
      • Video Card # 1: eVga 8600 GT
      • Hard Drive # 1: Bunch of Seagates
      • Hard Drive # 2: A Single Maxtor
      • Optical Drive # 1: Crap Generic SATA
      • Power Supply: Good brand, forget the name
      • Sound Card: Razer Barracuda
      • Monitor: Acer 22"
      • Operating System: Windows Vista Ultimate (Free from club.live.com)

Re: F'd in the A HARD... -drive failure

try the docking station - have a new drive ready to accept everything if it reads at all. i'll forgo the usual you should have known better especially for mission critical files..

if you are lucky itll only be extraordinarily slow at reading rather than gone for good. aside from that you can try to have a pro do it. it can be pricey though.

Six
    Images

Yeah it's my own fault. lol

I'd have backed them up but i didn't really have any way to do so. The satas weren't working in the docking station anymore which makes me worried they're not going to last long in PC(havent used them in forever i duno if thats why they're working again) and I didn't have any cds. (im a bum no moneys)

The docking station I have is sata exclusive, so I'll have to get my hands on an IDE, which i'm sure i could manage to do.

Six
    Images

I've had this IDE for like 10 years though and its not the first time it failed. So i'm going to try reconnecting, booting from sata, and seeing if it shows up on the list. I was able to get it to show up with the Vista install CD, but it wouldnt reinstall on it.

Also, any suggestions for free file storage online?

Six
    Images

And it worked, I can access the files. I guess I spoke to soon on the failure. It is clickin worse but should be able to get the files off now so its all good.

I'm such a douche lol

Six
    Images

I'm actually better off now if this SATA continues to work. I only had a gig of space left and i could eat that up fast.

EDIT: and im back to normal, shouldnt have even made a thread lol. I just figured i better get some suggestions while I can. It's all good now tho.
    Last edited by Six; 10-01-2012 at 01:27 PM.

• Computer Specs

Quote Originally Posted by Six View Post
    I'm actually better off now if this SATA continues to work. I only had a gig of space left and i could eat that up fast.

EDIT: and im back to normal, shouldnt have even made a thread lol. I just figured i better get some suggestions while I can. It's all good now tho.
    lol... you know you can edit your posts all things though glad you got your files back, especially if you had a lot of written code or graphical raws, thats a bitch to lose. id STRONGLY recommend you A. get an external JUST for your work files backup (don't put movies on it or hook it to a Slingbox or anythign like that), get a big Flash Drive that you can stick stuff on (32gb are coming down in price, not for all your files but maybe if you need to transport them or save them from a dying drive), and go with an online storage option.

A comparison of FREE Cloud Storage Services

remember don't go with cloud only services - 2 reasons is 1: remember when megaupload went belly up? there goes your files, and 2: i read somewhere a guy that stored his family photos on a local drive and a cloud service almost lost his data - it was a year or so ago during a hurricane in i think North Carolina - his house flooded with his external drive - but the cloud service he used was 20/40 or so miles from him and also got hit by the same hurricane. I think the cloud company had a single mirror somewhere else that saved him if i remember right - morale of the story is though that nothing is guaranteed. if its REALLY important (you can always rewrite code, but you can't retake photos from times past gone) make damn sure you have it safe.

Also, if its clicking at all, replace the drive asap. always. a drive should NEVER click.

Six
    Images

Thanks for the suggestions KRosen, I really appreciate it.
    Yeah I don't know why i didn't just edit instead of reposting.

That link is great too. I'm gonna have to subscribe to like half of them lol.

That is very unlucky about that guy and the hurricane lol, but at the same time lucky they had that extra mirror.

I also just realized I can transfer files to my cameras SD card, which is 16 gigs(+4 gig one i have). I'm not sure how safe that is, but it seems like a good last resort. I've got the important stuff on the SD card, IDE(unreliable), and this SATA drive(weary of that one). I'm going to try and get some DVDs and burn it onto them as well. I gotta be more careful.

I should have known better with the clicking, i've had the drive like 10 years though. I really pressed my luck on that one!
    Last edited by Six; 10-01-2012 at 03:15 PM.

• Computer Specs

Thanks for the suggestions KRosen, I really appreciate it.
    Yeah I don't know why i didn't just edit instead of reposting.

That link is great too. I'm gonna have to subscribe to like half of them lol.

That is very unlucky about that guy and the hurricane lol, but at the same time lucky they had that extra mirror.

I also just realized I can transfer files to my cameras SD card, which is 16 gigs(+4 gig one i have). I'm not sure how safe that is, but it seems like a good last resort. I've got the important stuff on the SD card, IDE(unreliable), and this SATA drive(weary of that one). I'm going to try and get some DVDs and burn it onto them as well. I gotta be more careful.

I should have known better with the clicking, i've had the drive like 10 years though. I really pressed my luck on that one!
    lol i think we've all pushed our luck with hard drives at one point in time XD and boy have we regretted it XD ive had drives that died that i tried using again (spoiler: it ended badly)

that link was a random one from google - out of curiousity have you considered a private cloud based SCM solution? since this is a smaller indie production its probably not worth the effort though.

• Computer Specs
      • Motherboard: MSI 770-G45
      • Processor: Phenom II X4 925
      • Memory: 4gb OCZ Gold
      • Video Card # 1: Powercolor ATI Radeon 5570 1gb
      • Hard Drive # 1: WD320gb Green
      • Hard Drive # 2: WD250gb Green
      • Optical Drive # 1: Samsung Lightscribe DVD-RW
      • Power Supply: BFG 650w Full Modular
      • Sound Card: Via audio
      • Monitor: proview 17 inch
      • Operating System: Windows 7 64 bit pro

On a side not Six be careful about making posts with that type of name. There are alot of people around here you probably got excited (Nicky and Thanatos to name a few) They might have thought you were joining "their" click if you get what I'm saying.

But thats great news you got your shit fixed. I remember the game you sent me a year or so ago. I played around with it till that PC crashed. So I hope for the best for ya dude.

Six
    Images

@KRosen, i haven't considered it too much. The money issue plays in there again. I know when you install UDK there is something they offer similar to one, but a long time ago i checked into it and it costs money of course. Thanks again for the help tho i appreciate it!

@Bigg LOL man that is hilarious! I'll have to put my chastity belt on before bed tonight. I'm glad you remember that one game, i think it was the mini-game pack. I actually expanded that a little further refining some of the games. I gotta release a new version of it soon. There's not enough PC games out there that have local multiplayer with 1 pc.
    Last edited by Six; 10-01-2012 at 05:57 PM.

Images
    • Computer Specs
      • Case: Cooler Master 431 Elite
      • Motherboard: ASROCK A770DE+
      • Processor: 965 AMD Black Quad
      • Memory: 4x 2GB OCZ REAPER
      • Video Card # 1: Gigabyte AMD 6770 1GB
      • Hard Drive # 1: WD AV 320GB
      • Hard Drive # 2: WD Black 320GB
      • Optical Drive # 1: SAMSUNG 22x DVDRW
      • Optical Drive # 2: Lite-On 24X DVDRW
      • Optical Drive # 3: 3.5" Sythe 4xFAN Controller
      • Power Supply: Corsair VX450W
      • Sound Card: Onboard
      • Monitor: 19" ACER
      • Operating System: WINDOWS 7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Headset: Turtle Beach
    Gold Donor
    Steam ID: TwizComp

i have done this a few times myself, not losing major important data and such, but family stuff. I actually took another working WD ide drive and swapped the platters and board to the drive(its actually pretty easy). there are tutorials on the net also. But you have your files now, so that isnt an issue

Six
    Images

That's pretty crafty though man its awesome you were able to do that!

edit: that really is some valuable knowledge though, I do have another old IDE around here somewhere. Coulda tried that if it didn't work out.
    Last edited by Six; 10-01-2012 at 06:20 PM.

• Computer Specs

That's pretty crafty though man its awesome you were able to do that!

edit: that really is some valuable knowledge though, I do have another old IDE around here somewhere. Coulda tried that if it didn't work out.
    its not as easy as he claims - there are dozens of things that could go radically wrong, especially if you don't have a steady hand and a completely compatible board. remember 20 years ago when you had to buy ATA controllers separately? the boards on the drives ARE the controllers.... if they aren't compatible, even if they match up perfectly (partially because one might be a revision), it might not work.

If you don't seal it (prevent air from getting in), the platters will scratch, because the heads rely on an air pocket to float above the platters; if youve ever slammed the door when you have an open window, then closed the window and tried slamming the door just to see that it doesn't slam as hard, youll see what i mean. also a single piece of dust can ruin the drive.

unless he was talking about a very temporary solution to JUST get files off, i would highly suggest against it, unless it is a last resort and you dont plan on sending it in professionally. remember if you damage it more trying to fix it, you can keep it from being fixable at all.

Images
    • Computer Specs
      • Case: Cooler Master 431 Elite
      • Motherboard: ASROCK A770DE+
      • Processor: 965 AMD Black Quad
      • Memory: 4x 2GB OCZ REAPER
      • Video Card # 1: Gigabyte AMD 6770 1GB
      • Hard Drive # 1: WD AV 320GB
      • Hard Drive # 2: WD Black 320GB
      • Optical Drive # 1: SAMSUNG 22x DVDRW
      • Optical Drive # 2: Lite-On 24X DVDRW
      • Optical Drive # 3: 3.5" Sythe 4xFAN Controller
      • Power Supply: Corsair VX450W
      • Sound Card: Onboard
      • Monitor: 19" ACER
      • Operating System: WINDOWS 7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Headset: Turtle Beach
    Gold Donor
    Steam ID: TwizComp

im just a mechanic, it does not matter what i say Listen to the high tech guru up there

Last edited by Twizzy; 10-01-2012 at 10:02 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast