XFIRE ID: wolf0130 Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197980410336 HLSTATS ID: 35718

Guide to Port forwarding

Hello there, im setting up this guide for port forwarding in all source engine games such as Synergy, TF2, Gmod, CS:S etc due to some of us interested in synergy couldn't start a server besides me.

Theres only a few steps to this process and shouldn't be at all hard to do if you have a basic knowledge of computer hardware and software.

Step 1: Selecting your router model

In this link there are a series of router guides for port forwarding your router for specific games and programs, pick yours-http://www.portforward.com/english/r...outerindex.htm

Step 2: Finding the proper guide for server setup

In this next link which should be the page that shows up after you select your router from the list contains a series of guides to "PF" your router, the one you want is the "Half-Life 2 Steam Server" dont get mixed up...the list is in alphabetical order, the selection is obviously under "H"
    http://www.portforward.com/english/r...I-524index.htm

Step 3: Annoying guide simplified!

After clicking the specified selection a semi-helpful guide should appear asking you to enter your static IP address and below a guide to setting up your router, looks simple but not really if don't have your network settings configured properly, I use a D Link router so the guide might look like this
    http://www.portforward.com/english/r...eam_Server.htm

Step 4: Static iP address and DNS server

This step is for those who don't have there network connection configured as asked in the guide which im guessing may be a lot of you.

Everything in the guide for your router should tell you exactly what you need to do except in certain areas that I and hopefully others here at iO could explain. Such as retrieving your DNS server IPs this link SHOULD most of the DNS servers across the planet on various ISPs
    http://forum.portforward.com/YaBB.cg...num=1115416655

If your DNS server is not listed well then pick up the phone and call your ISP and ask, they get this a lot so it shouldn't be any big issue for them.

Final Notes: Port forwarding my router took me approximately 6 months to figure out, because the entire time i didn't know my DNS servers, sad huh? If you encounter problems with setting up your static IP address from the guide on the site leave your questions here or just ask on steam.

WARNING: Connection speed varys upon your location
    For instance, I live in MA and setup a server and 6ZZA is in cali and joins up his ping will be pretty high somewhere at 200+. so the closer you are the better! Lastly id advise not having anyone else "sapping mah bandwidth!" while running a server, you lag = everyone lags ( or lags worse, hey maybe even a crash!) or browser running, secondary not used programs.

• Computer Specs
      • Motherboard: Gigabyte P-35
      • Processor: Intel Q6600 2.4Ghz
      • Memory: Crucial Ballistix 4GB
      • Video Card # 1: EVGA Nvida 8800GTS 640MB
      • Hard Drive # 1: WD Velociraptor 300GB
      • Hard Drive # 2: Seagate 7200.10 500GB
      • Hard Drive # 3: Seagate 7200.10 500GB
      • Hard Drive # 4: Seagate 7200.10 500GB
      • Monitor: Dell 2408WFP-HC
      • Operating System: Win 7 RC1 Build 7100
    Gold Donor
    New Server Contributor
    Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197970300149 HLSTATS ID: 41011
    Awesome post tehWolf.

Sticky-ed!

"Time doesn't always heal, it just breathes and swallows memories."

i0n
    Nice, I give two thumbs up.

Yan
    • Computer Specs
      • Motherboard: Asus P5K
      • Processor: Q9450
      • Memory: 4GB DDR2 1066MHz
      • Video Card # 1: eVGA 9800 GX2
      • Hard Drive # 1: 300GB Velociraptor (WD3000GLFS)
      • Hard Drive # 2: 640GB Caviar (WD6400AAKS)
      • Optical Drive # 1: Pioneer DVDRW
      • Power Supply: Zalman 750W
      • Sound Card: Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro Series
      • Monitor: 24" Dell TFT
      • Operating System: Windows Vista Ultimate
    Silver Donor
    Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988600670 HLSTATS ID: 202
    Dude, thats some epic necromancy skills u got there, but please try and keep them to the confines of Diablo and whatever other games have necromancers. The thread u just resurrected was 10 months old and perfectly happy in its grave, please try and check the date of the last post before posting, especially on a sticky...

Bronze Donor
    but yan this thread was stickied SO IT WILL NEVER DIE MUAHAHAHAHA
    NiCkYNiTRO: you litlte hot man
    NiCkYNiTRO: so hot
    NiCkYNiTRO: and little
    Me: *blows rape whistle*

Banned
    I know it's been a while since this has been posted in but I figured I might as well update this guide for probably the most popular router ever, additionally most Dlink / Linksys use this system. This isn't going to be as long as my previous guides / help topics, It'll most likely just be pictures with a basic explanation of what is in the screenshot.

Requirements

1. You require a Linksys WRT54G Router, other models may be similar but this is in my opinion the most popular router that I've experienced when doing In Home repairs.
    2. Firmware version needs to be at least 6.0+ (Most ship with 7 - 8 now)
    3. Windows XP is used in this guide, Windows Vista and Windows 7 follow a similar set of steps but may vary, so before you post about inaccuracy remember, Windows XP Service Pack 3.
    4. Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari, it's up to you.

Finding your Router IP Address
    Step 1: Open the "Command Prompt", do this by opening the Start Menu and Selecting the "Run" option and typing "cmd" into the run box, view the image below for an example of this.

Step 2: In the Command Prompt (or "cmd") type "ipconfig" and press enter, after typing that you'll see a bunch of numbers, look for "IP Address" (Green Box in Image) and look at the last 3 Digits (Yellow Box in Image), remember these last 3 numbers as you'll need them later on in the guide, view the image below for an example of what I'm talking about.

You now have your Router IP Address and the needed numbers, throughout this guide I will refer to my router IP as 103 as that is what my IP Address is that I'm using to forward.

Forwarding Your Ports

Now rather then explaining the steps to do this in multiple steps I'll simply provide a long paragraph on how to do this, I normally don't do this and am testing this method for this experimental post.

As you now have your Router IP (.103), we now need to go into your WRT54G, to do this type "192.168.1.1" into your browsers URL bar and press entered, if a password is required enter your password, by default it's one of the below,
    Option 1
    Username:
    Blank
    Password: Admin

Option 2

Username: Admin
    Password: Blank

Option 3

Username:
    <Whatever you made it>
    Password: <Whatever you made it>

Once you've logged into your router go into the "Applications & Gaming" Tab, (some routers may still call it "Forwarding") once in this tab you'll see a bunch of boxes, we're going to assume you want to forward ports 1337 and 420, 1337 for IP 103 and 420 for 105, to do this you're going to type the ports you want into the "Start" and "End" Boxes, Select "Both" for the protocol option (TCP and UDP) and type those last 3 numbers you did in the first part of the guide in the IP Address box. The Application can be anything, I've called mine uTor and uTor2 which stands for uTorrent.

Example of what this looks like on a correctly setup WRT54G router, you don't need to change any other settings, if it doesn't work your ISP is blocking Torrent's. (I imagine you're using this guide for Torrents)

PS: I don't care if I "Necro'd" this topic or "Revived it", the topic isn't locked for a reason. Additionally, if you use uTorrent you aren't going to need to forward your ports anymore when a newer version is released, this updated version changes the way uTorrent works and which ports it goes through, it also reduces the strain on the HTTP protocol almost completely.

Last edited by WildFire; 10-09-2009 at 05:18 AM.

• Computer Specs
      • Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad @ 3.00
      • Memory: 4gb DDR2
      • Video Card # 1: Radeon HD 4780
      • Hard Drive # 1: 1TB Seagate
      • Power Supply: 750W
      • Operating System: Windows 7 64x
    Steam ID: Puxel

Re: Guide to Port forwarding

If you REALLY don't know what you're doing, try this: http://www.simpleportforwarding.com/