Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Re: POST your Gaming Setup

i have a laptop for gamming.. (RIP)

specs:
    Intel Core i7-3632QM @ 2.2 GHZ 4 cores processor.
    8 GB RAM DDR3.
    Intergrated GPU - Intel HD 4000 @ 2 GB.
    Dedicated GPU - AMD Readon HD 7730M @ 2 GB.

I know this isn't really a gamming laptop..
    but, i have future plans for my desktop..

• Computer Specs
      • Case: Thermaltake VERSA G1
      • Motherboard: Asus Z87-A
      • Processor: i5 3.4ghz
      • Memory: Corsair 8gb (2x4) ddr3 1600
      • Video Card # 1: MSI twin frozer 4gb GTX 760
      • Hard Drive # 1: Kingston hyper X SSD
      • Power Supply: Corsair 750 watt
      • Monitor: Acer x223w
      • Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Headset: Corsair vengence 1500

Keep in mind I just took over my wifes office. It started with just my monitors, keyboard and mouse. Then i slowly edged her off the desk all together she was not happy at the time but is ok with it now.
    2014-03-09 11.13.34.jpg

Gold Donor

decalec, is easy to pilot a Jet or an helicopter with that joystick?

Blog Entries
    • Computer Specs
      • Case: Corsair 250D
      • Motherboard: MSI A88XI AC
      • Processor: AMD A10 7850K
      • Memory: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600
      • Video Card # 1: AMD 6950 overclocked to 840 Mhz
      • Hard Drive # 1: Toshiba 128 GB SSD
      • Hard Drive # 2: Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1 TB
      • Hard Drive # 3: Samsung HD322GJ 320 GB
      • Optical Drive # 1: Optiarc AD 7240S
      • Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 750 G2
      • Sound Card: Onboard Realtek
      • Monitor: Dell U2412M
      • Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
      • Headset: Sennheiser PC151
    Gold Donor
    New Server Contributor
    Steam ID: Voudoun

So my new itx build is up and running at last. All serious problems solved (just want to forget about all that now) and I can use it properly at last. I'm not listing the components in detail here, it's all in the specs to the left.

The Good:
    It's a lot smaller than my old case and I really appreciate that. I've been able to get my case off the floor. Being able to take the top off the case and lay the motherboard flat is great. I got really tired of having to put my tower onto one side to work and haul it up again once I was done. It's also pretty quiet with not even the stock CPU cooler hurting my ears. I've been able to get my stock cooled 6950 in there too. The smallness of the case has meant having to think a little more about cabling. The onboard sound isn't as bad as I'd feared either.

In performance terms the SSD is great. There are technically better ones out there I know, with higher IOPS for example, but that's probably approaching diminishing returns. It slashes the loading times and it's so good not to be waiting. It's a real 'I can't go back' advance. I did a run with SiSoft Sandra and the 7850K at stock of 3.7 and turbo to 4.0 is noticeably more powerful in computational terms than my FX4100 overclocked from 3.6 to 4.4! That took me by surprise. Memory and network speed is a touch less but neither of those are big factors. Also inter-core efficiency is lower, but at a rough guess I'd say that's because the FX4100 has what are almost 2 cores per module, whereas the 7850K is a true quad-core.

The Bad:

With only one PCIe slot in the motherboard there's no room for my sound card and the on-board sound can't take my external speakers. Granted they're junk but I have to use my headset all the time now. I may have to get an external sound card to deal with that, but this isn't a priority. The smallness of the case can sometimes make it tricky to get your hands in and work. One of the stock SATA cables that came with the motherboard had a fixed right angle head and they're only 50 cm long, so I had to buy more cables. Not knowing precisely what I'd need and to keep options open, I bought 90 cm SATA cables, but 70 cm would probably have been fine. The SATA ports are at the top of the motherboard, close to the exhaust fan, so it's a good idea to not have right angle cables there. Other motherboards have their SATA ports on the right of the motherboard which would bring them closer to the drive bays of the 250D case, so shorter SATA cables might be an option. Also don't try using a 200 mm Coolermaster fan with the 250D as the way the fans are made makes them incompatible, so I'll either have to buy a new 200mm fan to replace the stock 140 mm or get a saw. Also somewhere along the line my 6950 GPU has 'lost' the second BIOS so it's now an overclocked 6950 (whenever I flip to the performance BIOS there's no display).

The Ugly:

Yes the PSU is modular, but the smallness of the case can present a cabling issue. To be fair though the big issue with cabling for me is 4 drives (which means 2 power cables and 4 SATA cables), the thick motherboard power cable still has to get round to the top right of the motherboard, the CPU power cable has to go to the bottom left, and the GPU needs 2 PCIe power cables. There are therefore still quite a lot of cables and it can look ugly. I've done the best I can't to route them without getting anal about it.

Summary:

I know there are some issues but I'm very happy with how things have turned out really. It's a great system for the price (though I had the advantage of bringing quite a few parts over from last system), it's pretty quiet, and I never get bored of the SSD's speed. I'd therefore recommend going the mini itx route. You get a smaller system out of it and I'm at that stage now where I'm bored of the size and weight of full tower systems. Though the 250D is mini itx, it's wide enough to put something on top, so I can rest my headset on there and my phone while it charges from the USB.

If you're thinking of going the mini itx route I know there are smaller mini itx cases, but if you're used to towers you might want to think about working in a much smaller space. Also the 250D is big enough to take everything. I've got a stock cooled 6950, an SSD, 2 hard drives, and a CD drive. There's also room for a 240 mm liquid cooler.

In the future I want to get a new graphics card (smaller, higher performance, with new features) and I'm hoping to get the R9 370X (or equivalent when it comes out later this year), an external sound card, better speakers, a 200 mm fan for intake, to lose the CD drive (I still have DVDs) and replace it with a fan controller (there's only one 4 pin fan connector on the motherboard), get a 240 mm liquid CPU cooler, and maybe double the RAM. The GPU has priority at the moment. It's all in the future at the moment and this is a great platform to add all those things to.

I'd insert photos but website tells me that I'm exceeding storage limits. If anyone really wants to see them though, especially if you're thinking of going mini itx, then I could email them if you PM me your address.

• Computer Specs
      • Case: Thermaltake VERSA G1
      • Motherboard: Asus Z87-A
      • Processor: i5 3.4ghz
      • Memory: Corsair 8gb (2x4) ddr3 1600
      • Video Card # 1: MSI twin frozer 4gb GTX 760
      • Hard Drive # 1: Kingston hyper X SSD
      • Power Supply: Corsair 750 watt
      • Monitor: Acer x223w
      • Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Headset: Corsair vengence 1500

Hey Ninja sorry for slow response but yes it is easy to fly with the joystick took some getting use to but I am sure as you seen from playing with me on BF4 how easy it is once you get use to it

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920