Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images
    Gold Donor
    Steam ID: iO_Whoami HLSTATS ID: 12027

Revitalizing this dead website.

Question is towards the CEO/COO/CFO/Staff:

iOgaming.net has become a ghost town as of late. This site use to have a lot of members frolicking and drinking together. Then members have long since disappeared for "various" reasons I won't go into.

The old days:

Vent Banter
    iO events (we know why this one stopped)
    Posts as far as the eye can see.

Now we occasionally get the "yay" birthday thread or a random post from the older members.

So this brings me to question:

What are the plans of bringing some life back into this site?

(In before: Make some suggestions then) I'd like to hear from the ones that run this boat first.

~Whoami
    Quote Originally Posted by bootsie View Post
    <insert weird ladyboner for jessica biel>
    "A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing."
    -Bill Shankly

Images
    • Computer Specs
      • Case: Antec 300 series
      • Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46
      • Processor: AMD FX-6200 @ 3.8
      • Memory: CORSAIR XMS3 8GB
      • Video Card # 1: XFX 7950 DD 3gig
      • Hard Drive # 1: WD Blue 300g 7200RPM
      • Hard Drive # 2: Western Digital My Book 3.0 1TB USB 3.0 External Hard Drive
      • Optical Drive # 1: BD-Rom Drive
      • Optical Drive # 2: DVD-CDRW
      • Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W
      • Sound Card: Realtek High definition Audio
      • Monitor: 19 HD widescreen @ 1440x900
      • Operating System: Windows 7 64-Bit
    Gold Donor

Re: Revitalizing this dead website.

I agree, this site has been a ghost town lately, I think its a bunch of reasons why the site is lacking activity

For me, I just don't have the time i used to. After buying my house I have been doing house projects almost every weekend, with the house its also taking my extra funds, so i haven't been able to put together the giveaways i used too ( but on that note, the new poker night game would be a good giveaway and its cheap!) i bet we could get a bunch of copies and do a raffle or something)
    Donate to OUR community: http://iogaming.net/donate

Blog Entries
    • Computer Specs
      • Case: CM Storm Sniper
      • Motherboard: Gigabyte EP45T-USB3P
      • Processor: Intel Q8400
      • Memory: 4GB DDR3
      • Hard Drive # 2: 40GB IDE
      • Optical Drive # 1: Sony DVD+/-RW DL
      • Power Supply: 400W
      • Monitor: 21" Acer
    Gold Donor
    Steam ID: wafflesandsyrup

First, my reason for not being around often: I've been cheating on iO. I'm also a member of another community (though rest assured, the games don't conflict and I still love this place). I'm into Dota 2 and Planetside 2 now, both games that don't have a strong presence in iO, or the members just don't play together. So I found a place to play with a large group of people in PS2.

Now, ways to get this place hopping again. That's a tough one, and something that all communities struggle with at one point or another. A lot of it may be that some people took on a new job, more credit hours in school, or just stopped gaming for one reason or another. But there are plenty of other gamers out there to recruit. We need to figure out how to draw in new players, while keeping the drama out (which seems to attract itself anywhere you go).

McChicken is doing a great job of running the Facebook page. Maybe we can experiment with a few FB ads to draw in some eyeballs. If you're playing a new game that iO isn't really active in, try to get some people playing with you, and eventually bring them over to the community.

Regularly-scheduled events are also a key to bringing this place back to life. A weekly game night where we get as many people as possible to play whatever game we vote on. Weekly Vent meetings to get ideas, suggestions, and feedback. Plus, people tend to naturally stick around and socialize before or after these things.

It's sad to see a once-great community fall into the shadows. But with a little push, it can be rebuilt.

Blog Entries
    • Computer Specs
      • Case: Corsair 250D
      • Motherboard: MSI A88XI AC
      • Processor: AMD A10 7850K
      • Memory: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600
      • Video Card # 1: AMD 6950 overclocked to 840 Mhz
      • Hard Drive # 1: Toshiba 128 GB SSD
      • Hard Drive # 2: Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1 TB
      • Hard Drive # 3: Samsung HD322GJ 320 GB
      • Optical Drive # 1: Optiarc AD 7240S
      • Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 750 G2
      • Sound Card: Onboard Realtek
      • Monitor: Dell U2412M
      • Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
      • Headset: Sennheiser PC151
    Gold Donor
    New Server Contributor
    Steam ID: Voudoun

I suppose we're all responsible, but many of us either have or are in the process of moving into different areas of life. I may have to look for a new place to live, no fun when searching for a job, so I may be out of touch here and there. I'm going to try to return to my old habit, which I enjoy, of posting some interesting science or technology stories. I'm also striving to be on Vent more when playing Guild Wars 2. I have to admit I've always been bad at getting on Vent, so I'll try to do better.

I hope we can all join in and have a good spring clean.

• Computer Specs
      • Motherboard: XFX 680i
      • Processor: Core 2 Duo 3.0
      • Memory: 4G G. Skill 1000
      • Video Card # 1: eVga 8600 GT
      • Hard Drive # 1: Bunch of Seagates
      • Hard Drive # 2: A Single Maxtor
      • Optical Drive # 1: Crap Generic SATA
      • Power Supply: Good brand, forget the name
      • Sound Card: Razer Barracuda
      • Monitor: Acer 22"
      • Operating System: Windows Vista Ultimate (Free from club.live.com)

lol you guys are nuts. you don't pin the tail on the real reason of a donkey, though some of you have beat around the bush a bit.

tf2 is ancient. it isn't the game it used to be. idk about battlefield but when i did jump into bc2 it wasn't nearly as lively as tf2 used to be.

fact is, there isn't really any good multiplayer games today like there used to be 5 years ago.

dont get me wrong, there are good games, but not those spectacular one of a kind games that bring people in. think about it, when people get bored, that is when they either start doing things that piss everybody off or they just sort of wander away.

until a game comes out that really shakes the multiplayer gaming scene to its core (specifically fps, since that is mostly what iO does), its gonna be pretty ghostly - whether iO remains until that time comes is still to be seen.

(to cement my point, name some of the greatest games that have come out in recent history - tomb raide, bioshock infinite, far cry 3, hell go back as far as skyrim - there really aren't many massive multilayer games in there, especially fps games. this has been a grand Year of the Single Player PC Game)

101,947 293,122 Dota 2
    35,933 71,193 Team Fortress 2
    22,515 37,528 Sid Meier's Civilization V
    18,480 39,060 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    12,614 60,898 Football Manager 2013
    11,553 23,574 Garry's Mod
    11,235 31,521 Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
    8,675 38,486 Counter-Strike
    8,617 18,803 Warframe
    8,489 14,368 Borderlands 2

CS:Go? tf2? dota 2? the only massive multiplayer game on there we do is tf2, and that as i have said is already wavering imho.

if we had more moba players, things would be humming, which dave has touched upon. we don't. we just aren't big into moba.

@McChicken, i know that pain more than you know XD busy busy busy. Getting old sucks all around

Blog Entries
    • Computer Specs
      • Case: Corsair 250D
      • Motherboard: MSI A88XI AC
      • Processor: AMD A10 7850K
      • Memory: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600
      • Video Card # 1: AMD 6950 overclocked to 840 Mhz
      • Hard Drive # 1: Toshiba 128 GB SSD
      • Hard Drive # 2: Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1 TB
      • Hard Drive # 3: Samsung HD322GJ 320 GB
      • Optical Drive # 1: Optiarc AD 7240S
      • Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 750 G2
      • Sound Card: Onboard Realtek
      • Monitor: Dell U2412M
      • Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
      • Headset: Sennheiser PC151
    Gold Donor
    New Server Contributor
    Steam ID: Voudoun

All good points. I've been saying for a while that TF2 was an old game, but that quantifies it well. Maybe we need to offer something for Dota 2 players, if it's possible to. Maybe we also need to cast our net wider for games too. If there isn't a single big game, maybe that forces us to spread out more.

Gold Donor
    Steam ID: madstyler HLSTATS ID: 403

My time has been spent in the Closed beta for Loadout for the past year now. Only game I play religiously now and helped shape as well, Open beta coming real soon.
    Last edited by MadStyle; 04-29-2013 at 10:54 AM.

Blog Entries
    • Computer Specs
      • Case: CM Storm Sniper
      • Motherboard: Gigabyte EP45T-USB3P
      • Processor: Intel Q8400
      • Memory: 4GB DDR3
      • Hard Drive # 2: 40GB IDE
      • Optical Drive # 1: Sony DVD+/-RW DL
      • Power Supply: 400W
      • Monitor: 21" Acer
    Gold Donor
    Steam ID: wafflesandsyrup

Quote Originally Posted by Voudoun View Post
    All good points. I've been saying for a while that TF2 was an old game, but that quantifies it well. Maybe we need to offer something for Dota 2 players, if it's possible to. Maybe we also need to cast our net wider for games too. If there isn't a single big game, maybe that forces us to spread out more.
    Again, my idea for game night. Even if it isn't a multiplayer game, maybe we can all drag our feet through a single-player game together from the beginning one night.

It works in a few communities, and is a great socializing event.

Images
    • Computer Specs
      • Case: Antec 300 series
      • Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46
      • Processor: AMD FX-6200 @ 3.8
      • Memory: CORSAIR XMS3 8GB
      • Video Card # 1: XFX 7950 DD 3gig
      • Hard Drive # 1: WD Blue 300g 7200RPM
      • Hard Drive # 2: Western Digital My Book 3.0 1TB USB 3.0 External Hard Drive
      • Optical Drive # 1: BD-Rom Drive
      • Optical Drive # 2: DVD-CDRW
      • Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W
      • Sound Card: Realtek High definition Audio
      • Monitor: 19 HD widescreen @ 1440x900
      • Operating System: Windows 7 64-Bit
    Gold Donor

Quote Originally Posted by 1up_dave View Post
    Again, my idea for game night. Even if it isn't a multiplayer game, maybe we can all drag our feet through a single-player game together from the beginning one night.

It works in a few communities, and is a great socializing event.
    i agree we need to start having a weekly event, I know we have seasons in TF2 but would it be possible to have a weekly MVP? That we might be able to do something special for? (Just throwing out ideas)

as of the io Facebook page I'm getting far more views, comments, likes......talking about gaming in general, but

Images
    • Computer Specs
      • Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D
      • Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD65
      • Processor: Intel i7-3770K + Corsair H110
      • Memory: G. Skill Ares 32gb DDR3-1866
      • Video Card # 1: Sapphire HD 7990 6gb
      • Hard Drive # 1: Toshiba Q Series 512gb
      • Power Supply: Corsair AX750
      • Sound Card: Creative SB X-Fi Titanium HD
      • Monitor: Auria 27" 2560x1440p
      • Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Headset: UE Triple Fi 10
    Gold Donor

Not sure about other games but BF3 has a few admins playing so if we can get those admins to start playing together on weekends, I'm sure it will bring the community back to life. If we have active leaders, members of course will start showing up.

• Computer Specs
      • Motherboard: MSI P35 Platinum
      • Processor: Intel Core 2 Quatro Q6600 2.4GHZ OC TO 3.0GhZ
      • Memory: 2x2Gb DDR PC2-6400
      • Video Card # 1: XFX GeForce 8800GT 512Mb
      • Video Card # 2: XFX GeForce 8800GT 512 MB
      • Hard Drive # 1: Western Digital 500GB 7200 16Mb Cache
      • Hard Drive # 2: Western Digital 500GB 7200 16Mb Cache
      • Hard Drive # 3: Western Digital 1.0TB 32MB cache
      • Optical Drive # 1: Pioneer DVD+-RW
      • Power Supply: OCZ 700W
      • Sound Card: Realtek HD Audio
      • Monitor: Dell 20 widescreen & Samsung 21.6 Widescreen & Dell E2010H 20" Widescreen
      • Operating System: Windows 7 64bit
    Gold Donor
    New Server Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Whoami View Post
    Question is towards the CEO/COO/CFO/Staff:

iOgaming.net has become a ghost town as of late. This site use to have a lot of members frolicking and drinking together. Then members have long since disappeared for "various" reasons I won't go into.

The old days:

Vent Banter
    iO events (we know why this one stopped)
    Posts as far as the eye can see.

Now we occasionally get the "yay" birthday thread or a random post from the older members.

So this brings me to question:

What are the plans of bringing some life back into this site?

(In before: Make some suggestions then) I'd like to hear from the ones that run this boat first.

~Whoami
    You are quite right in that we have been on a steady down for a while now. The reasons everyone has mentioned are all true.

I for one over the last 10 or so months got really into dota2 and was spending all my time playing, and watching. Not to mention that i just kind of lost the drive to write plugins/and web dev.

But, i have slowed down on playing dota over that last month or 2 and have been starting to get the drive i used to have for programming and stuff.

That being said, we have done a number of site 'redseign' trials, but each time have come up short of a finished product. Mostly due to lack of time and the needed bodies to do it. We do have a ton of new ideas though that we have discussed that we would love to implement, things that make the site more interactive, and dynamic changing content.

I am right now in the process or rewriting the website to be more functional. Contrary to my previous attempts to redesign the website, this time i am going to try and do it keeping the same layout we have, except fixing all the backend stuff that is broken, and giving us the ability to do these new things we have talked about. This way when someone ( who is better at images and design ) has time it could be easily styled to look completely different and updated with minimal effort.

I really don't have a timeframe, but so far its going well.

The other thing i would like to see is more games we need to figure a way to attract users from some other multiplayer games.

Anyways thats my blurb about the subject. Hope everyone is doing well!

Gold Donor
    XFIRE ID: nickynitro

What Thor said. As soon as we get some more time, we'll start breathing some life back into this awesome community. Give us a couple months and we'll get back on it.
    www.iOGaming.NET
    iO Founder and CEO

Silver Donor
    New Server Contributor
    Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/baconoclock HLSTATS ID: http://stats.iogaming.net/hlstats.php?mode=playerinfo&player=147

I play BF3 almost every night and we are starting to see more regulars there, but getting them to the site is a jump. As others have said there isnt the one game to get us all together. I play BF3 mainly now, but will hop back over to TF2 occasionally (as others have said its an old game, but I still have a ton of TF2 friends from iO). Seems like were fragmented between games.

• Computer Specs
      • Motherboard: Asus
      • Processor: Q9600 Quad/Water cooled/ 13 fans
      • Memory: 4 Gigs
      • Video Card # 1: Nvidia 8800GTS overclocked
      • Video Card # 2: Nvidia 8800GTS overclocked
      • Hard Drive # 1: 1 Terabyte
      • Hard Drive # 2: 1 Terabyte
      • Hard Drive # 3: 1 Terabyte
      • Hard Drive # 4: 1 Terabyte
      • Power Supply: Antec 650 watt trupower trio
      • Sound Card: working on it..=]
      • Monitor: Main>27inch flat panel/3 17inch to watch all the chat channels
      • Operating System: Windows Vista 64
    Gold Donor
    New Server Contributor

Ok my addition here... Even though I'm working an evening shift and don't get out til midnight, I still try to get on here to play some tf2. When I get up in the morning I hop on to play some. Old man here has to keep his skills up. That being said I've found a server that has what I think iO needs to re-energize the server/servers I don't think it be a big addition either. The sever I go to is the Taunt server. IP:50.31.21.203:27014 They have it where after so many kills a part of a song plays. It keeps going up along with the songs the more kills you get without dying. Great idea because if I get killed I stay because I want the next level song to play for me!! I've gotten as high as 28 kills in there, and I love it. That server is always filled day or night.. I'd look into this so I can stay in our own servers. I'm pretty sure you could try it out on atleast 1 2fort and the bad/Gold server Just a thought...

ReD

Reviving a dead thread so to speak. I was pretty surprised and confused at the same time how iO fell this far from what it used to be. I just made a post on the TF2 general thinking it was only localized to that community but I see now the whole place is falling apart and I know why

I just decided to log on today to see where you guys have gone over the years. Im surprised to see the amount of dead weight the community is supporting: Guild Wars 2, Left 4 Dead, DayZ, Minecraft, CS:GO, Heroes of Newerth (really?). The only heavy hitter you guys have is Battlefield and to a lesser extent, TF2 (Its free to play). When you keep saving pennies, you miss out on dollars.

If I could make a suggestion: Get rid of the Heroes of Newerth and add in a Dota2 and League of Legends community and start recruiting people from those games. MOBA is the new FPS; easy to learn, hard to master so you'll find players of all skill levels. League of Legends is the most played game in the world, Dota2 is streaming high level competition daily. Check the twitch.tv if you dont believe me and take a look at the viewer distribution for all the supported games.

Its obvious coming back after a few years that iO is still stuck in that FPS heyday. Its definitely time for a serious overhaul.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast