• Sound Card: Onboard Realtek
      • Monitor: Dell U2412M
      • Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
      • Headset: Sennheiser PC151
    Gold Donor
    New Server Contributor
    Steam ID: Voudoun

New Beginnings

So I moved to London almost 2 months ago, taking a different direction. I've take a proofreading course, I'm part way through a copy-editing course, started going to events at the nearest Apple store, and learned a lot along the way! So alongside my copy-editing/copywriting/fact checking/proofreading website, I now have a gaming website too. I hope Nicky and Marr don't mind if I give it a little plug here!

It's called GameStoryLife (the link is in my signature) and it focuses on games that tell stories. It's stories that keep me playing and replaying games, so I wanted to create a place to talk about those games. I may detour occasionally, but my heart is with the stories! I also wanted to create a highly visual yet also simple front page. Just click one of the images and you'll go to the relevant blog entry.

What this site isn't about is leeching people away from iO. There's no forum and I hope there's room for both of us in your hearts! It also isn't about continually moaning about things. I'm trying to keep a positive tone, but to be measured when criticism is due.

It's early days yet (the site is still propagating) but I hope you like it. If you've got any thoughts or suggestions for games I should be taking a look at (I'll be emailing a PR representative today about a game) then let me know.

So how are all your projects going? How have you changed things around this year, if you needed to?

Gold Donor

Re: New Beginnings

So GameStoryLife is just a gaming blog right? Looks interesting I was reading everything you had there but yes add BF4 please

Blog Entries
    • Computer Specs
      • Case: Corsair 250D
      • Motherboard: MSI A88XI AC
      • Processor: AMD A10 7850K
      • Memory: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600
      • Video Card # 1: AMD 6950 overclocked to 840 Mhz
      • Hard Drive # 1: Toshiba 128 GB SSD
      • Hard Drive # 2: Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1 TB
      • Hard Drive # 3: Samsung HD322GJ 320 GB
      • Optical Drive # 1: Optiarc AD 7240S
      • Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 750 G2
    Gold Donor
    New Server Contributor

One of the things I set in motion today was building the capability to get hold of review copies. Bear in mind that this is only a few days old now, so I'm building from scratch, and it's not finished. One of the things I've got to do is to work out the RSS feed for the blog. In terms of content my focus at the moment is on story driven games/gaming, but I'll bear your suggestion in mind and see if I can find a contact at EA/DICE. Thanks!

Gold Donor

Ohh, sorry yes then there is not point of adding BF4. A nice game you could is The Walking Dead - A TellTale. That game is really popular because of the TV series of The Walking Dead.

Blog Entries
    • Computer Specs
    Gold Donor
    New Server Contributor

I've started reaching out to developers and publishers regarding review copies of games, and I'm certainly bearing your suggestion in mind. Hopefully the capacity of my site to present game art in a striking way, surely important when games are visual, will help overcome any 'new site nerves'.

• Computer Specs
      • Motherboard: MSI P35 Platinum
      • Processor: Intel Core 2 Quatro Q6600 2.4GHZ OC TO 3.0GhZ
      • Memory: 2x2Gb DDR PC2-6400
      • Video Card # 1: XFX GeForce 8800GT 512Mb
      • Video Card # 2: XFX GeForce 8800GT 512 MB
      • Hard Drive # 1: Western Digital 500GB 7200 16Mb Cache
      • Hard Drive # 2: Western Digital 500GB 7200 16Mb Cache
      • Hard Drive # 3: Western Digital 1.0TB 32MB cache
      • Optical Drive # 1: Pioneer DVD+-RW
      • Power Supply: OCZ 700W
      • Sound Card: Realtek HD Audio
      • Monitor: Dell 20 widescreen & Samsung 21.6 Widescreen & Dell E2010H 20" Widescreen
      • Operating System: Windows 7 64bit
    Gold Donor
    New Server Contributor

Interesting idea man. I like the minimalist design you have going there, ill be sure to check it out from time to time.

Blog Entries
    • Computer Specs
    Gold Donor
    New Server Contributor

Thanks a lot! I'm still learning my way through the interface, the different templates, and balancing the work, but it's fun. A friend of mine is a good designer, so I'm hoping she'll have time to help me out with a few things. I like the way images pop off the page at the moment though.

Blog Entries
    • Computer Specs
    Gold Donor
    New Server Contributor

So my first full review (of Child of Light) is up. Take a look if you're interested. If not, the summary: great game deserving all the praise it's receiving.

Gold Donor

Game could be great, I read reviews all the time, just word of caution from a friend to another try to make reviews fair. I can't speak for most, but a review that pretty much says the game is a godsend sends off tons of flags that it's (reviewer) probably influenced by being paid to be that good, sucking up or just likes everything. Latter being perfectly ok if you do, but most people are more curious about what's wrong with a game then what's good. Dev's will sell things for their good points already they get paid to, well publishers more so.

However if a super positive attitude is what you are going for (as I've rarely seen you criticise anything even if the rest of the world hates it) I fully support you and wish you the best with it.

I've been periodically checking it out every now-and-then to see your site looks good so far, even commented on one of them!
    "It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, it is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Darwin."

Blog Entries
    • Computer Specs
    Gold Donor
    New Server Contributor

There's so much available online about what sucks that I try to take a positive attitude. If something sucks though then I'm going to find a constructive way of saying it. I'm also a creative person and so I understand the creative impulse behind games. As Total Biscuit said, no-one sets out to make bad games (which is almost how some people online view it, that they sold out in some respect or simply never really gave a damn) it's just that something went wrong somewhere down the line. Either that or their vision never clicked with their audience. Look at all the great games that didn't earn enough. Two that spring to mind are Planescape: Torment and Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, which was Troika's last game because it didn't earn enough.

I'm not going to whore GameStoryLife to anyone. Developers and publishers haven't, aren't, and won't be buying reviews.

With Child of Light my experience was that good. It's a low price game with a fantastic art style and great music. A week or so later and I think that maybe it could use another gameplay element, but I think it remains a great game if you accept that it has a more narrow focus than many other games. I've just picked up my microphone, so I'll soon be doing a video review in which I'll be able to express a more rounded review now that I've had a little longer with the game.

Credit where it's due too: Ubisoft have replied to their emails and shared information, and that's PR people in both Montreal and the UK. Someone working for another company hasn't even replied to an email.

Along the way I'm learning a lot too. I've never done this before, so I'm figuring out things as I go. Don't forget that at this stage I haven't had a single review copy supplied to me. I bought Child of Light with my own money and realistically I'm going to need to keep doing that probably as I'm not well known yet. This means that I've got to focus how I spend my money and my time.

Having said all that I'll bear what you said in mind. I'm well aware that people don't want to see gushing reviews for everything as they'll start to question it. I've no desire to deceive visitors/readers/viewers or con them in any way. However, I'm not going to be cynical either just because it's become fashionable to view cynicism as a rigorous approach. It can be just as lazy and boring as the 'everything's perfect approach'.

Gold Donor

Yeah, I wasn't bashing your approach or your site by any means (not saying you thought I was) I think it's great to be honest with you, reviews are impossible to be completely biased and people will simply not like what you said for a lot of reasons most of them stupid, but some will simply disagree. People will come to your site over and over because they share similar views and respect your opinion, maybe you swayed someone to buy a game and they loved it.

I own Planescape: Torment, I haven't been able to get into it yet, so, so much dialog and I'm too busy playing games by the dozens to finish it. I however have beat Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines which was a fantastic game for the era, not without its problems, but I have yet to see a game that I would give a 10/10 to no matter what year.

I'm not trying to promote to be cynical either, just fair, you can rationalize everything to be 'ok,' Make a thousand excuses for the company, that's how they keep getting away with sub-par quality a lot of the time. Most rationalize things to be good or ok rather then bad.

None of this was really about Child of Light, I haven't played it, I know your personality, I trust what I know about you to be accurate statement in your review. aka, tell the truth about it with a positive spin (which I got negative down pat for the both of us.)

I watch Total biscuits stuff as well one of my favourite reviewers actually, however no company ever sets out to make a bad game, yes, but they are still completely responsible for doing so. Some companies can probably blame publishers dead lines. This doesn't mean go crazy like the insane people did on Bioware, that shit was off the charts, but they do need to be held accountable, some just get to ambitious.

Anywho. I apologize if it seemed like I was bashing your point of view or how you do things. I know your just starting why I threw my 2 cents in. Honestly, bringing up issues in a positive way is better no matter which way you slice it, makes you look more professional, honest and not an bat-shit insane fanboy which possible bipolar disorder haha.
    "It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, it is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Darwin."

Blog Entries
    • Computer Specs
    Gold Donor
    New Server Contributor

That's ok I didn't take it personally. You raised fair points in a fair way and you have a point about rationalisation.

Ultimately I want to strike a balance between being honest, but also being positive, because the internet already has plenty of OMFGSUX!

Blog Entries
    • Computer Specs
    Gold Donor
    New Server Contributor

I've given Game Story Life a refresh. I've tried to keep the open, minimalist feel whilst making it immediately clear what the site is. It's solved a few problems really and I'm happier with it now. If you've got any thoughts then let me know!