[WF Review] Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
    "Divorce - Sometimes we all make mistakes"

Developer: Infinity Ward
    Release Date: November 6, 2007
    Distribution Method: Steam, EBGames, Direct2Drive, nVidia Free Gift
    Price: $49.99 (Steam)
    ERSB Rating: M (17+)

Game Information: Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare like the previous titles in the Call of Duty series is a First-Person Shooter. Call of Duty 4 is the first game to break away from the World War 2 setting that the previous games seemed to be emotionally attached to. Call of Duty 4 keeps the same general concept that the previous Call of Duty games had but advances it into Modern Warfare which is a big leap for the series and has lead to the start of development for Modern Warfare 2. Call of Duty 4 uses a Proprietary Engine developed within Infinity Ward, the Engine was also used in Call of Duty 5.

Single Player Campaign:
    Throughout the campaign you control six different people from the First-Person Perspective (Soap MacTavish, Sergeant Paul Jackson, Lieutenant Price, Yasir Al-Fulani and two other unnamed characters), most of the game is played from the perspective of Soap MacTavish, during your time playing through the various characters in the single player campaign you will have "missions" that place you in different parts of the world ranging from Urban Desert like Cities to Swampy Marshes. Call of Duty 4 has a handful of weapons to use, most of which you will be able to use in the Single Player Campaign but sticking with the normal M4A1 and Pistol combo seems to be the best choice to go through the campaign, the sniper missions are an exception to this.

Anyways onto the Singe Player Campaign, you're playing through it as a "Good Guy" named Soap, during your play time you're essentially trying to stop a Radical Leader that just overthrew the Government in the Middle East by killing the President (Yasir Al-Fulani). Now if that wasn't going to be hard enough an Ultranationalist movement has created a Cival War in Russia which you will also have to deal with during certain parts of the game, both must be completed and both are fun. If you want more detailed locations Wikipedia claims that you visit the following locations, The Middle East, Azerbaijan, Russia, and Prypiat and The Ukraine.

In my opinion the Single Player Campaign was horribly short and only lasted about 5 - 6 hours for me which is kind of short, this doesn't effect the game that much as the Call of Duty series has always been known for its Multiplayer Content which this game has (Read below).

Multiplayer: At first glance the Multiplayer Content seems overwhelming but Infinity Ward thought about that and included a Leveling System which has a total of 55 levels, this can seem high but at about level 35 you've probably already unlocked everything that you want / need, most of the other levels are to unlock camouflage schemes and Weapon Enhancements. Multiplayer is played throughout a handful of levels, each level varies in Size and Layout. Throughout Multiplayer you will be killing players (TDM) or Defusing / Arming Bombs or Eliminating Players, all of these are great features of Multiplayer but the most popular is by far Team Death Match.

Added into the Multiplayer are special "Skill" type kill bonuses for achievement 3 kills, 5 kills and 7 kills, at 3 kills you will be given a UAV which displays where enemies are on your radar / map, at 5 kills you are given an Air Strike, which if used correctly can kill an entire team and clear paths that where once blocked by huge groups of enemies / campers. At 7 kills you're given a Helicopter that you can call into play (Only one can be deployed at a time), this helicopter flies around the map killing anything it see's, I find this to be horrible when compared to a properly used Air Strike, so I tend to call my Air Strike first and then call in my Helicopter from the kills I have achieved from my Helicopter.There are also 2 modes of play in Call of Duty 4 Multiplayer, one of which I like to call "Softcore" and the other is "Hardcore" I'll explain which each are below.

Softcore - This is the default mode of play, you're given enough health to survive a few bullets and this is generally easier to live in but harder to kill people in. I'd recommend this mode for newer players to the Call of Duty Series but feel free to play Hardcore. Softcore also provides players with a Tactical HUD (Map, Ammo Totals, Score, Kill Cams etc).

Hardcore - Hardcore is in all ways nearly identical to Softcore but doesn't allow a HUD or map (UAVs will give a map to players though). Your health is also drastically reduced so that one (sometimes two) bullets will kill you and your opponents. This game type is more popular among Team Death Match servers then anything else and is a great improvement over Softcore if you like a challenge. (Beware of Campers )

Multiplayer is what makes Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.

Achievements: The achievements in Call of Duty 4 are referred to as "Challenges", most of these challenges are easy (Kill 75 people with X Weapon, etc) and upon completing provide you with a nice sum of experience to help you level quickly. Besides what I said about the challenges before they don't serve that much of a purpose and are completely optional and won't effect Game Play at all if you neglect them.

My Rating:
    8 out of 10, The only reason this game was given 8 out of 10 instead of 9 or 10 was because Infinifty Ward stopped supporting the game after Patch 1.7, this might seem like a silly reason but the game is still filled with bugs and there aren't that many maps to play, it tends to get boring after a few months. Another factor was because of how short the Single Player Campaign was and the big "Screw You" at the end of the single player experience.

Screenshots

Screenshot #1
    Screenshot #2
    Screenshot #3

Gametrailers.com Review (High Defintion Video)
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/re...-of-duty/27308

Note:
    Any sentences referring to "TMN" are referring to myself (WildFire / Talented) these are other alias's I use when posting / writing my reviews, the decision to move these reviews over to iO was decided based on the fact that the current location of the Reviews will perhaps be compromised and the reviews edited and / or destroyed without my permission.

He Wants A Custom Title Too Mister_Hell's Avatar
    Silver Donor
    Steam ID: iomrhell HLSTATS ID: 1291
    I tried only singleplayer part of this game. I heard alot that multiplayer one is the best part of CoD4, but TF2 is still better

tc
    • Computer Specs
      • Motherboard: Dell XPS 630i
      • Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz, 3166 MHz
      • Memory: 4GB [1GB x 4 DDR2 SDRAM]
      • Video Card # 1: nVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
      • Hard Drive # 1: Hitachi HDP725050GLA (465 GB)
      • Hard Drive # 2: WD External (931 GB)
      • Optical Drive # 1: PBDS CDRWDVD DH-48C2S SCSI
      • Optical Drive # 2: TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653F SCSI
      • Power Supply: Dell H750E-01
      • Sound Card: Creative SB X-Fi
      • Monitor: Dell SP2008WFP [20" 1680x1050]
      • Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/korean_tc HLSTATS ID: 892
    Single player veteran was insane.

Multiplayer online is fun.

Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197984231367/home
    YAY for grenade spam! I don't know what genius made to CoD4 +3 grenade perk... seriously. Multi is easy, I do not belong to any clan and I i just play on pubs. Im playing almost a year and my stats are like 40/10. Belive me, 2 months and you are moaster of the game

• Computer Specs
      • Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+
      • Memory: 2 gigs
      • Video Card # 1: BFG Geforce 9600 GT (OC)
      • Hard Drive # 1: 80gigs sata
      • Monitor: Acer 20" LCD flat panel
      • Operating System: Windows Vista
    Silver Donor
    Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197994075359 HLSTATS ID: 2689
    the kill cam is the worst! I really hate to see a grenade bounce off a shelf roll down some stairs only to bounce off a wall and out the window I'm looking in. Ok maybe that's a little over the top but you get what I mean.

Silver Donor
    I love this game. Although it should be renamed Call of Grenade 4: Grenade Warfare. I play on 32 man servers and 75% of my deaths are from random grenades. One minute I am just running around pwning noobs and BOOOM random grenade.

8/10 imo.

17. While playing pyro, is the only thing stupider then W+m1ing straight at the business end of a heavy is W+m1ing straight at the business end of a heavy UNDER WATER!

Banned
    Try playing on 64 player servers, I forget what that small maps called but it's Spawn, Throw 3 grenades, death, repeat.

Images
    • Computer Specs
      • Case: Fractal Design Define R4
      • Motherboard: MSI P67A-GD65 (B3)
      • Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K Quad Core 3.3GHz (4.2GHz)
      • Memory: Mushkin Enhanced Silverline Stiletto 8GB 2X4GB
      • Video Card # 1: MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr
      • Hard Drive # 1: Western Digital 640GB Hard Drive
      • Hard Drive # 2: Western Digital WD10EARS Caviar Green 1TB
      • Optical Drive # 1: Samsung Something Something DVD +/- Burner
      • Power Supply: Corsair Professional HX750W 750W
      • Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster T220 22inch Monitor
      • Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Gold Donor
    Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197994832592 HLSTATS ID: 3012
    multiplayer looks hard for me sometime, cause I get killed very easy and die early during right after respawn.

Silver Donor
    Quote Originally Posted by WildFire View Post
    Try playing on 64 player servers, I forget what that small maps called but it's Spawn, Throw 3 grenades, death, repeat.
    Its kill house or shipment.

17. While playing pyro, is the only thing stupider then W+m1ing straight at the business end of a heavy is W+m1ing straight at the business end of a heavy UNDER WATER!

I like it better on xbox live, just because I have lots of friends on it. But I'd rate it an 8/10 because I like that it's MODERN warfare. I'd probably give it a 9 or 10 if it was on xbox, because I don't like playing any of the call of duty games on my computer. But overall, it's a good game and I think the money's worth it, although I suggest getting modern warfare 2

Re: [WF Review] Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

the game on multiplayer sucks but single player is always fun
    Me: Why is your wow character an angry black man?
    Assassin: I am an angry black man.

^ MY SIGNATURE

Silver Donor

Quote Originally Posted by I pilot the hatredcopter View Post
    the game on multiplayer sucks but single player is always fun
    I sure hope you are taking about Modern Warfail 2's multiplayer because MW 1's multi is great.

What is so bad about MW2 multiplayer? I think it is better than MW1

• Computer Specs
      • Motherboard: ASUS Crossfire III
      • Processor: AMD 955 Black 3.2 GHz
      • Memory: 8 GB Kingston Hyper X 7-7-7-9
      • Video Card # 1: ATI Radeon 5850 1GB
      • Power Supply: Thermaltake ToughPower 850w
      • Sound Card: X-FI Fatality
      • Monitor: Asus VK246H 24"
      • Operating System: Windows 7

I prefer the MW2 multiplayer vs the MW1, i have a lot more fun then with the matches with this then in MW1

Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/04GTO

SOP missions all the way. The MP reeks. "Overwatch and bigbrother"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast