• Computer Specs
      • Memory: 8 GB
      • Hard Drive # 1: 1TB
      • Hard Drive # 2: 500 GB
      • Operating System: Vista 64
    Gold Donor
    Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/amcreva

Smile Dragon Age : Origins

So, I've played thought the game twice. Wasted hours and hours of my time fighting darkspawn, undead and magical creatures from the Fade. But, was it worth it?

Dragon Age is the newest roleplaying game from Bioware. It takes the best bits and peices from their previous games and intergrated with a different storyline and timeline.

They have the party dynamics, based on your actions certain people in the party will like you more or less. If they hate you most of the time they will leave never to return. But, if you don't piss them off right away and manage to find them their gifts if it fairly easy to get everyone to 100%.

Fully voiced RPG. All the NPC's, all the extra side quests. Everything pretty much is voiced. I really enjoyed this, since it adds to the immersive play and makes you feel like you are truely overhearing NPC's idle chatter. Often times by listening in you can get tips on where to go next and things that are happening in the area.

The game is a huge slut.
    You can pretty much do who ever you like in the party and their is also a whorehouse that you can spend all your gold at.

The choices! The best part about this game is the choices. Where during Mass Effect and KOTOR there were these points that they would give you three choices but they would all have the same outcome. In Dragon Age that almost never happened. Based on even small missions the final outcome of the game is changed. This allows multiple playthoughs and very different outcomes on all the main missions.

Overall I think it was a well spent $50 however there was a few issues that need revamping.

The tactics system, where you have to spend time scrolling thought tons of menus to still have your NPC characters act like your drunk sister on new years in the middle of a battle or worse yet do ABSOLULTLY NOTHING.

The graphics left much to be desired, just overall. Things like the armour always glitching into itself during cutscenes, the dwarven beards sinking into their chests, people's hair acting like it was all glued the way it was. Little things that took you out of the story.

Bioware has this formula. The generic RPG formula. It works, but often yeilds average games. Bioware has done a good job on avoiding the recycling of the plot. Much like they did between KOTOR and Mass Effect. Where you could literally draw paralells between the stories. Lucky that this time it didn't feel totally recycled but there were moments.

So, my final rating is 7.9 out of 10.

Pretty good but nothing exceptionally special.

• Computer Specs
      • Case: Antec Twelve Hundred (love this case!)
      • Motherboard: EVGA 780i
      • Processor: Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz (400x8)
      • Memory: 8GB Kingston HyperX @ 4-4-4-12
      • Video Card # 1: BFG GTX280 @ 615 SLI
      • Video Card # 2: BFG GTX280 @ 615 SLI
      • Hard Drive # 1: 128GB: Corsair SSD (OS+APPS)
      • Hard Drive # 2: 750GB: Gaming
      • Hard Drive # 3: 750GB: Raid 1 - WD Black (DATA)
      • Hard Drive # 4: 150GB: Velociraptor Scratch Disk
      • Optical Drive # 1: Blu-Ray Player
      • Optical Drive # 2: LG DVD DL Burner
      • Power Supply: Zalman ZM850
      • Sound Card: B-Gears Inspire 5.1
      • Monitor: 30" Dell Ultrasharp HC
      • Operating System: Windows 7 x64
      • Headset: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
    Gold Donor

Re: Dragon Age : Origins

Have to agree with pretty much everything you said there. The glitching was a bit unexpected since Bioware is 'usually' pretty clean with things like that. Definitely worth 1 play through for $50 however once it's on sale, it'll be a steal for the amount of gaming you get out of it.

The one thing I found though is with the right party and specs you will NEVER die regardless of the difficulty level. Unless you have your head up your ass then yes, you may wipe. Oddly enough, I found the last battle one of the easiest.

I have to give them credit on one thing, the voice acting... unbelievable job. They really blew me away with the amount of dialogue in the game.

Cyber-Athletes & E-Sports
    "When Timmy Two Tons is sitting his fat ass behind a computer all day eating bon bons and slowly developing diabetes he, in no way shape or form, has earned the right to be called 'athlete' or to be associated with the word 'sport'."

XFIRE ID: echo136 Steam ID: echo136 HLSTATS ID: 973

I cannot bring myself to finish this game. The combat is so repetetive and frustrating. I really need to light a fire under my ass and finish this game one of these days.

Bronze Donor

I didn't think the difficulty settings level had any effect on the gameplay. In the beginning I had a hard time getting my characters to play together so I reduced the level to easy from hard and saw absolutely no effect on the difficulty level. It was an amusing game, I liked Mass Effect better, but I didn't like how you were locked into your character choices on long missions.

Images
    Gold Donor
    Steam ID: iO_Whoami HLSTATS ID: 12027

Now try the DLC - Return to Ostagar that is out
    Quote Originally Posted by bootsie View Post
    <insert weird ladyboner for jessica biel>
    "A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing."
    -Bill Shankly

XFIRE ID: echo136 Steam ID: echo136 HLSTATS ID: 973

Quote Originally Posted by Whoami View Post
    Now try the DLC - Return to Ostagar that is out
    Actually it was removed because of game crippling errors until further notice. I just booted up my game and I dont see it on the available DLC.

Images
    Gold Donor

Dragon Age Origins - Return to Ostagar

Quote Originally Posted by Echo136 View Post
    Actually it was removed because of game crippling errors until further notice. I just booted up my game and I dont see it on the available DLC.
    "A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing."
    -Bill Shankly

Blog Entries
    Images
    • Computer Specs
      • Case: Rosewill Challenger
      • Motherboard: EVGA x58 LE
      • Processor: Intel i7-930 OCed to 3.35GHz, with ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler
      • Memory: Crucial Ballistix 4GB DDR3 1600
      • Video Card # 1: Palit GTX 460 1GB #1
      • Video Card # 2: Palit GTX 460 1GB #2
      • Hard Drive # 1: 3 WD Blue Caviar 7200RPM 320GBs in RAID-0
      • Hard Drive # 2: 1 WD Green Caviar 1TB
      • Optical Drive # 1: ASUS Black SATA DVD/CD Burner
      • Power Supply: ZALMAN ZM750-HP 750W Modula Heatpipe-Cooled
    Steam ID: 625 HLSTATS ID: 68,803

i played this game from beginning to end as a mage, i thought it was aight, the most annoying thing for me was how stupid my mage looked the entire game. it seems they forgot the mage class as they also didn't have much armor for him compared to the other classes (like they assumed you would go arcane warrior anyway) i still found the game fun and the characters interesting, so i'll give it an 8.5 /10

I absolutely love Drangon age oranges, its my favorite

Gold Donor

Being one of the biggest bioware fan's out there, I even tried convincing people it was a great game when I knew it wasn't, just out of blind loyalty to a company that provided me so many great gaming hours. BG itself is still the pinnacle of Biowares success in D&D RPG's legendary beyond touch. However from the expectations I had of the game, it failed, it wiped, it was not the successor of Baldars Gate. I could write a novel on what they did wrong far as gameplay, but I won't get into that now.

Your review was still well done Kimberly, very nice work.

Whoami - It's still not downloadable, they prolonged it until late January around the same time of Mass-Effect 2 release, which will kill their profits like a madman. They got owned by sony and Xbox hard, haha.
    Last edited by Frostlocke; 01-19-2010 at 07:48 AM.
    "It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, it is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Darwin."

Images
    Gold Donor

Doubt it. Because even with the release of ME2, people/fans like you and I will still buy the DLC :P

Quote Originally Posted by Desire View Post
    Being one of the biggest bioware fan's out there,

Whoami - It's still not downloadable, they prolonged it until late January around the same time of Mass-Effect 2 release, which will kill their profits like a madman. They got owned by sony and Xbox hard, haha.
    -Bill Shankly

Gold Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Whoami View Post
    Doubt it. Because even with the release of ME2, people/fans like you and I will still buy the DLC :P
    Very true, I've already purchased the points to get it.
    "It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, it is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Darwin."

XFIRE ID: badboy503 Steam ID: badboy503

yes the game was awesome... i played with all DLCS.... battlemage is the shit! as much str as a warrior but tonnes of int and willpower!! yeah only bad things i found was my party members faces kept going black... and the last battle was way too easy.. just jump on the ballista...

XFIRE ID: Agreton Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197998365252/home HLSTATS ID: STEAM_0:0:19049762

I certainly think that as far as storyline and immersion goes, Dragon Age O was great along those lines. Visual detail and character interactions were awesome, I loved listening to my party members argue and banter back and forth and if you used the addparty cheat you could have almost everyone recruitable on your screen. I did not care for the combat system, it was overly hack and slash like many other games of this style. I really hated the party setups and their makeshift gambit system was sorely lacking. I played through on normal the first time, missed the bloodmage spec (which is annoying because you can't get it later without replaying) and I certainly hated that it took me 3 hours to tweak my party enough so that my party members would stop dying and leaving me alone in the battlefield.

I'd say that for 50 dollars this game isn't worth it. The amount of DLC isn't very impressive, so that in and of itself limits replayability to me. My opinion on this game is just to wait until it drops to about 15 dollars and buy it then. I was moderately disappointed in Bioware for this game... They did a much better job storywise for Kotor and Baldur's Gate than most of their recent releases... perhaps I just have to high of expectations for an RPG styled game. Then again I grew up and lived in the golden age of gaming, so I should expect more. I remember playing Zork, and the classic Gold Box Forgotten Realms games. I was more impressed with Dark Messiah as far as story goes when compared to DOA.

Blog Entries
    Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/biayumi/

I really liked the story and I think it was well-made. The soundtrack is amazing, the art is incredible. I wouldn't pay again the same price I did on the game however, because if you play as a mage, you're unbeatable. Which kind of takes the fun out of it for me, specially since I don't like mages. Also think they could have used better characters that use bows. Overall it's a really good game though. It's worth buying once it's on sale, the game is rather short, even with the dlc.

I also got really disappointed because I had SO much trouble to install it and make it run on my windows vista (yes, I know, I should upgrade or downgrade D, and even after I got it right, I had problems with installing the dlc, then with the recognition of my downloadable content... It was more of a headache than anything else. (I bought it through steam)

I got DA2 and I still haven't played it, just saw some movies. I like how they changed the combat, lose strategy, gain 300-god-of-war-ish ways of fighting, all yays for that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast