Info:
    Developer: EA Digital Illusions CE AB
    Publisher: Electronic Arts
    Release Date: 2010-03-02 North America, 2010-03-05 Europe
    Category: FPS
    Platforms: PC, Xbox360, PS3
    Price: $49.99 (Steam)

Summary:
    Battlefield Bad Company 2 brings the spectacular Battlefield gameplay to the forefront of next-gen consoles and PC, featuring best-in-class vehicular combat set across a wide range of huge sandbox maps each with a different tactical focus. New vehicles like the All Terrain Vehicle (ATV) and the UH-60 transport helicopter allow for all-new multiplayer tactics in the warzone. Extensive fine-tuning ensures that this will be the most realistic vehicle combat experience to date. Tactical destruction is taken to new heights with the updated DICE Frostbite engine. Players can now take down entire buildings or create their own vantage points by blasting holes through cover, thereby delivering a unique dynamic experience in every match.

Gameplay:

Singleplayer:
    If your looking for a memorable campaign, this one is not for you. The story starts with a prelude level, set in WW2. It comes equipped with some pretty cool cutscenes and ingame cinematics. Once the game returns modern times, its back to basic waves of armed ragdolls - acompanied with little variation in plot. The campaign finishes in roughly a few hours, if it wasn't for a console version, I doubt there would be any campaign to speak of. That being said, I could have spent the time better elsewhere - such as multiplayer.

Multiplayer:
    This is obviously where the game shines (or will shine). It needs some networking fixes, but I'll get into that on the next section. All bugs aside, this is probably the most indepth multiplayer experience since team fortress 2.

The multiplayer starts with selecting a dedicated server, and consequently a game type.

There are four game modes:
    Rush: Two teams (up to 16 players on each) take turns playing attack and defend. Maps usually consist of four "lines of defense" with two nodes at each. As the nodes are destroyed by attackers, the map bounds are moved to two more receding nodes. Attackers win by destroying all nodes, or m-com stations, and defenders win by killing X number of attackers. Nodes are destroyed by planting a bomb (which can be defused by defenders), or simply destroying the building in which the node is held.

Conquest: Two teams (still up to 16 players on each) attempt to capture and hold nodes on a map. Maps usually consist of four nodes. Flags are at each node, waiting to be captured.

Squad Rush & Squad DM: These gametypes consist of teams of four in a rush or deathmatch ruleset, respectivly. The gametypes seem like a quick addition to advertise an additional two game modes, and have a bonus for preordering at gamestop.

There are four basic class archetypes - assault, recon, medic, and engineer.
    Assault: Defaults to assault rifles, handguns, launchers (grenade, smoke, or shotgun attachment), and an ammo deployment.

Recon: Defaults to sniper rifles, handguns, mortars/c4's, and motion sensing grenades.

Medic: Defaults to LMG's, handguns, healthkits, and defib unit.

Engineer: Defaults to SMG's, handguns, repair tool, and explosives (launchers, mines)

Unlocks: Living in this World-of-Warcraft era, naturally the multiplayer comes with an array of class customization and rewards. There are 25 ranks, each level comes with a new reward (a perk, handgun, shotguns, etc).

General:
    The gameplay is excellent. It doesn't feel clunky like the beta did, it feels relativly fluid. The physics engine is the best to date, almost everything is destructable - though it's still all pre-defined gibs and not real dynamic destruction. Animations are solid, AI is decent on singleplayer (though you'll run into a lot of not-so-smart soldiers on multiplayer). There is a nice balance between a tactical shooter and an arcade shooter.
    *Prone is no longer in this version of battlefield, but it's a great improvement. No more dolphin diving soldiers. As far as prone-sniping goes, it really doesn't matter. Snipers have incredible accuracy and range on this game, so they will still be nothing but a single pixel regardless of their stance.

Graphics/Technology:
    SPECS USED: i7-920 @ 3.8GHz, ATI 5870 @ 900/1300, 6GB DDR RAM, W7 64-bit

As far as texture resolution and detailed models go, this game is gorgeous. As far as post-processing effects, its garbage.

Verticle-Sync: This is what prevents the frames from tearing and looking like a slideshow rather than a fluid movie. There is an option to enable this in the settings, but it does not work. Forcing this through CCC does not override, and forcing through rivatuner causes a crash.

Memory support: No 64-bit support, so we're stuck with low amounts of RAM; thusforth, all textures are streamed and can cause stuttering.

Optimization: Garbage. According to the forums, nvidia users are getting extremely low FPS on good setups. As for me, hardly any of my eight CPU threads are being used. Even if there not calculating the physics, it could be used to render some frames.

Anti-Aliasing: This is what makes the game look like a big pixely mess. Their "anti-aliasing" can only be enabled under dx10 and dx11. This anti-aliasing is not really doing any blending, but rather blurring. (Quick background information, ever since these xbox-gen console ports have come along - games have been using deffered rendering instead of forward rendering. Without getting to technical here, the deffered rendering can actually squeeze more frames out of the GPU, but at the cost of visual aesthetics. The MSAA/FSAA/AAA algorithm only work with forward rendering) Anyways, we're stuck with this blurred (instead of blended) anti-aliasing, which is slightly and intentionally masked with over-used bloom. I hope you liked the 70's, because the post-processing effects make this game look extremely hazy.

DX11: No tesselation or compute shaders to speak of, the only real improvement under dx11 is "soft shadows", which can hardly be seen anyways.

Networking: This is what is killing the game. Its a mixture of bad collision detection, and bad network script. You'll notice macro-teleporting occasionally, and micro-teleporting when trying to sit still. I.e. if you run and stop, you'll feel yourself twitching around in some cases. Other times you may instantly be teleported meters behind yourself.
    The hit detection is crap, I've seen instances where I've shot a sniper bullet, cocked my gun, and zoomed back in before the tick mark shows that my bullet registered. Othertimes I'll see my knife animation play 4 or 5 times before one of them registers, moreover I've fired 50+ bullets point blank with only a few registering.
    It seems like when bullets are rapidly fired (instead of single shotting, or burst firing) only fractions of them register.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zsUO...layer_embedded

You'll see that eight bullets are shot, but only five tick marks appear.
    This is extremely noticeable when firing LMG's. With the m60 single-shot, it takes 3 shots to the chest to kill. Though when I spray point blank it takes a good 10-20.

Audio:
    Brilliant. The sound in this game is amazing - it feels like you are actually inside of a battle (and not just a war-themed arena - a la modern warfare).

Overall:
    4/5 stars. I would rerate is a 4.5/5 if the network issues are completely resolved, and a 5 star if the tech issues are fixed.
    Last edited by DiscoBBQ; 03-06-2010 at 06:44 PM.

Formerly known as Hobo Ninja Amadan's Avatar
    XFIRE ID: hoboninja1 Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198011704820

Re: BFBC2 Review

I'll keep this in mind. I definatly want it, and it's only a matter of which platform: PC or 360.

Comparing myself to others...

Silver Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Ninja View Post
    I'll keep this in mind. I definatly want it, and it's only a matter of which platform: PC or 360.
    PC! If you have an old PC upgrade. This game must be played in all its glory on the platform Battlefield was meant to be on.

The awesomeness that is Bad Company 2 can not be truly appreciated on a console.

17. While playing pyro, is the only thing stupider then W+m1ing straight at the business end of a heavy is W+m1ing straight at the business end of a heavy UNDER WATER!

I watz itz soz badzzz

i have bfbc2 on ps3 and its pure fun.
    get a couple of friends together and launch tanks sky high

Well worth the money..

• Computer Specs
      • Motherboard: XFX 680i
      • Processor: Core 2 Duo 3.0
      • Memory: 4G G. Skill 1000
      • Video Card # 1: eVga 8600 GT
      • Hard Drive # 1: Bunch of Seagates
      • Hard Drive # 2: A Single Maxtor
      • Optical Drive # 1: Crap Generic SATA
      • Power Supply: Good brand, forget the name
      • Sound Card: Razer Barracuda
      • Monitor: Acer 22"
      • Operating System: Windows Vista Ultimate (Free from club.live.com)

Please stop necro threading - post like these don't count anyways. thanks.