• Optical Drive # 2: Right Eye
      • Power Supply: Slave Labor
      • Sound Card: Dixie Cup w/ String
      • Monitor: Homeless Man w/ Pencil
      • Operating System: Me
    Bronze Donor
    XFIRE ID: cra2yaznguy Steam ID: spicypinktaco

Fallout: New Vegas

Well this is a review of Fallout: New Vegas and me trying to put a non-bias review out. I don't put a "score" for a category since I personally feel that is the worst way to rate a game. Sorry before hand if I sound kind of fanboy-ish. Game is just too awesome.

Well this new title into the Fallout series is no disappointment. If you have played Fallout 3 and enjoyed it then this game is a no-brainer. They have kept most of the features that made Fallout 3 so popular and yet implemented some fairly awesome new ones. There is still an expansive territory filled with crazy creatures, tons of loot, unique characters, and interesting sights. In this game the quests seem to have more reasoning to them or at least some do. Fallout 3 had a good storyline but some of the quests didn't have any emotional drive to them as per why the characters wanted you to do them or why you should do them as a player. In New Vegas, you connect with some of the NPCs and their plea for your assistance. New Vegas is a story of revenge and that's all I can really say without spoiling it for those who plan on getting the game now or in the new future or just picking it up months from now. There are 3 major factions fighting over this territory for the Hoover Dam which is a prime strategic location for its energy output. They are the New California Republic (the governmental military presence), Caesar's Legion (band of crazed cultists), and the Mr. House (Founder of New Vegas).

Gameplay
    There is now a crafting system in the game. In Fallout 3 you could create "unique" weapons by finding schematics out in the Capital Wasteland, but now you can craft bullets, consumables, and weapons. Any time you fire a weapon of some kind depending on your stat of said weapon type (Gun/Energy) you can find the round casing or energy pack. With these and some other materials you can craft bullets you need from bullets you don't. You can also forage herbs and plants to create healing items. Perks are also awesome and a plenty in this game, some of the favorite of Fallout 3 are here and so are a few new ones. Jury Rigging is one of those new ones, allows one to repair weapons with similar enough weapons like a 9mm Pistol with a 10mm or a Hunting Rifle with another bolt action rifle. Most of these features seem to be here slightly to promote New Vegas' "Hardcore Mode". This mode is for serious players, this requires the player to regularly sleep, eat, and be hydrated. Also some features are tweaked to semi-realistic values like every item to has weight. In your travels you can meet certain NPCs who can accompany you on your journey and provide certain abilities in the form of perks and certain specialties like being able to craft anywhere. The game has an in-game command wheel where you can set your companion's equipment, battle stance, heal them, movement, etc. Your actions have greater impact on the surrounding environment than in Fallout 3. If you repeatedly kill the soldier of a certain faction, that faction will vilify you and then turn hostile. This system is also in place for some settlements. The more quests you do the friendlier the factions become providing more quests.

Combat
    The game is still FPS/TPS. They have now put in the ability to use actual iron-sights so you aren't completely reliant on a weapons stats. There is still VATS and it still can be implemented strategically in conjunction with this new ADS system.The amount of weapons in this game greatly surpasses Fallout 3. There are some familiar weapons like the M16A1 aka Service Rifle and some that are very satisfying to wield like the Bumper Sword (a pole-arm who's blade is crafted from a rear bumper). Also each weapon has a set of modifications who may put on it. It's not a free-choice system where if you possess a silencer you can slap it on anything. Each weapon has mods that fit only on that specific weapon.

Environment
    The stretch of land that you explore in this game is the surrounding area of Las Vegas and mostly the Mojave desert. I live in SoCal now and used to live in Vegas and I got to say they did a nice job of recreating the area. The outskirts of New Vegas have some similarities to the Capital Wasteland but there are very few urban settlements and most of the fighting is done in the desert. There are some mountains that you scale since the game takes place around Primm and Las Vegas. You can explore some vaults but there aren't as many as there were in the Capital Wasteland. The overall map is vastly smaller than in Fallout 3 but it is more lively and it seems more like they got rid of all that useless space in Fallout 3.

Sound
    The sound is quite telling of the games influences. Most of the in-game radios play songs of the wild west and cowboy blues. If you disable the radio then you get background music eerie, bleak music, similar to Fallout 3. The voice acting in this game quite good. They seem to have more emotion in their speech than the characters in Fallout 3. The weapons themselves have fairly average sounds. It isn't something to praise but it isn't bad enough to hurt the games immersion.

Graphics
    This game seems to use an updated version of Fallout 3's engine. The character models are bit nicer and so are the environments but all in all pretty same.

Bugs/Glitches
    This game isn't perfect yet, still needs a few patches and it could be. There are times where monsters just fall into the environment and get stuck or you get stuck in perpetual free fall so you have to load your last save. These happen on rare occasion and aren't game breaking but it can really be annoying if you haven't saved in awhile and get stuck and lose all that progress.

System Requirements - Provided by Steam
    Processor: Dual Core 2.0GHz
    Memory: 2GB RAM
    Hard Disk Space: 10GB free space
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6 series, ATI 1300XT series

Ending note: I found this game to well worth its price-tag of $50.00 (US). I just did almost an all night-er playing it and I get the feeling I haven't advanced very far in the story. If you have managed to find the patience to read all of this, Thank You. If you have any further questions on the game or would like more clarification post below and I'll try to get back on that.
    Last edited by SpicyPinkTaco; 10-22-2010 at 02:26 PM.

• Computer Specs
      • Case: AMD Athlon II x4 2.9GHz
      • Motherboard: MSI 870A-G54
      • Processor: AMD Athlon II x4 2.9 GHz
      • Memory: corsair 4GB DDR3 1333
      • Video Card # 2: XFX 7850 black edition
      • Power Supply: Corsair TX650w
      • Monitor: 19' Insignia TV
      • Operating System: Windows 7 64 bit
      • Headset: Corsair Vengeance
    Gold Donor

Re: Fallout: New Vegas

I think the environment looks to much like fall out 3

XFIRE ID: echo136 Steam ID: echo136 HLSTATS ID: 973

Ive been hearing a lot about the bug issues in this game, ranging from small to game breaking. I pretty much saw it coming though.

Images
    • Computer Specs
      • Case: Antec 300 series
      • Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46
      • Processor: AMD FX-6200 @ 3.8
      • Memory: CORSAIR XMS3 8GB
      • Video Card # 1: XFX 7950 DD 3gig
      • Hard Drive # 1: WD Blue 300g 7200RPM
      • Hard Drive # 2: Western Digital My Book 3.0 1TB USB 3.0 External Hard Drive
      • Optical Drive # 1: BD-Rom Drive
      • Optical Drive # 2: DVD-CDRW
      • Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W
      • Sound Card: Realtek High definition Audio
      • Monitor: 19 HD widescreen @ 1440x900
      • Operating System: Windows 7 64-Bit
    Gold Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Echo136 View Post
    Ive been hearing a lot about the bug issues in this game, ranging from small to game breaking. I pretty much saw it coming though.
    well if you remember when fallout 3 came out, it also had quite a few bugs, but they patched it up in no time, I have played maybe an hour or 2 and i love it so far, if you liked fallout 3 then you will love new vegas
    Donate to OUR community: http://iogaming.net/donate

Well, as I've told people already, the fact that they might get rid of them later doesnt excuse the fact that they are there in the first place. Take STALKER for example. Theres still horrible bugs in that game and they arent patching it anymore. And dont forget Bad Company 2. It took months before they started patching the game properly.

• Computer Specs
      • Case: Roe v. Wade
      • Motherboard: Fatherplank
      • Processor: Super Child Labor
      • Memory: Child Labor
      • Video Card # 1: A Pencil
      • Hard Drive # 1: College Ruled Paper
      • Optical Drive # 1: Left Eye
    Bronze Donor

I've played the game according to steam for about 16 hours and I haven't gotten any major bugs or glitches. Knowing Obsidian and Bethesda's track record for this and the Elder Scrolls series, these bugs will be fixed in no-time. Also i doubt there has ever been a game that didn't have bugs or glitches on release, especially on PC, just too many variables. Only thing that matter is if they fix it in a timely manner and continue to support their product for a reasonable amount of time.

Images
    • Computer Specs
      • Case: Antec 300 series
      • Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46
      • Processor: AMD FX-6200 @ 3.8
      • Memory: CORSAIR XMS3 8GB
      • Video Card # 1: XFX 7950 DD 3gig
      • Hard Drive # 1: WD Blue 300g 7200RPM
      • Hard Drive # 2: Western Digital My Book 3.0 1TB USB 3.0 External Hard Drive
      • Optical Drive # 1: BD-Rom Drive
      • Optical Drive # 2: DVD-CDRW
      • Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W
      • Sound Card: Realtek High definition Audio
      • Monitor: 19 HD widescreen @ 1440x900
      • Operating System: Windows 7 64-Bit
    Gold Donor

i havent seen any bugs yet either, ive just heard about them
    Donate to OUR community: http://iogaming.net/donate

Gold Donor
    New Server Contributor

First patch is already out. 3 hard crashes for me. Still keep going right back though. Looks like you only get a perk every other level now. Forgot what its like to be low level, got my clock cleaned a few times already.

Good fun.

• Computer Specs
    Bronze Donor

i like how you get perks every 2 levels now, makes choosing which perks to get that much more important. In Fallout 3 you could get enough perks to pretty much be good with everything. In New Vegas though there seems to be a bit more emphasis on thinking about your decisions on how your character will advance.

• Computer Specs
      • Case: Corsair 600CM
      • Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z77
      • Processor: Core i7 3770K
      • Memory: 16GB GeIL EVO DDR3 2400
      • Video Card # 1: Nvidia GTX680
      • Hard Drive # 1: 240 GB Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe SSD
      • Optical Drive # 1: LITE-ON Black 20X DVD Burner
      • Power Supply: CORSAIR HX 850 Watt Modular
      • Sound Card: Onbaord 5.1
      • Monitor: BenQ XL2420TX
      • Operating System: Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit
      • Headset: Roccat Kave 5.1
    Gold Donor
    New Server Contributor
    Steam ID: blaaam

New Vegas is awesome, only issues ive had is with the game saves. I have to do manual saves before i close b/c my auto saves seem to be broken and dont update. Other then that ive had no game crashes im running Windows 7 with all game settings on Ultra. I also went to borders to pick up the Strategy to reference a few things and damn this game is huge i'm about 8 hours in and ive already missed some many locations that im gonna have to go back and check out.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

• Computer Specs
    Bronze Donor

The saves aren't really the games problem it lies with Steam Cloud and they released a patch yesterday that disabled Steam Cloud for the game so the save work now (or at least for me)

• Computer Specs
      • Case: Antec 900
      • Motherboard: MSI Pro-E x58
      • Processor: i7-920
      • Memory: 6G DDR3
      • Video Card # 1: Powercolor 5870
      • Video Card # 2: Sapphire 5870
      • Hard Drive # 1: 1TB
      • Monitor: 28"
      • Operating System: Windows 7 64-Bit Ultimate

Picking it up today.

Images
    • Computer Specs
      • Case: Dell
      • Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 940
      • Memory: 8 Gb
      • Video Card # 1: ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Hard Drive # 1: 1 TB Baracuda
      • Hard Drive # 2: 500 Gb Seagate
      • Hard Drive # 3: 80Gb Seagate
      • Optical Drive # 1: BD Rom BDR/DVD-r(w)/cd-r(w)
      • Sound Card: Soundblaster X-Fi
      • Monitor: LG Flatron Q2252TQ
      • Operating System: Windows 7 64x
      • Headset: Logitech
    Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197993215667 HLSTATS ID: 8442

One thing i do with they would have gotten better at it the animation of the human body. Granted the facial animations in New Vegas are better than what Bethesda did. But if you ever zoom out and watch your character run, it looks like hes running with a load in his pants.

Ok, ive put about 30 hours into this game on the PS3 version and I gotta say the bugs in this game are horrible. The game has crashed on me at least 20 times while out in the wasteland, including 2 minutes after I left the starting town. All the companions have a quest you can complete and theres one I couldnt figure out how to start and after some research on the wiki I found out that as of the new patch, it is impossible to actually start this companion's quest (Veronica), which is a shame because she was my favorite. I've had framerate issues galore, at one point having such bad framerate that I had to reset the game because reloading didnt help. Many times the graphics dont fully load leaving ugly looking walls. At one point a door's graphics didnt load and I couldnt find the entrance to a shop. instances where a cazadore (mutant wasp) was stuck in one spot and couldnt be killed, and many instances where if I set anything on fire the enemies stopped moving until long after they stopped burning (admittedly i used this to my advantage against giant rad scorpions.) It absolutely amazes me they didnt fix this shit in testing. I never had any of these problems in Fallout 3 PC version. This is the first time ive ever seen a game hard crash on a console before! Obsidian took the game and made it worse.

Its not all bad though. I love the new weapon mod system, different ammunition types, and workbench recipes. The revamping the the perks. the addition of traits. The plethora of new weapons, including a much needed better selection of energy weapons. The addition of the companion wheel. Theres a lot that makes this game good, but the further I get into the game the more I notice its flaws and its making me wish to go back to Fallout 3.

The two major thing that urks me about New Vegas is this though. First, the map feels small. Unlike in Fallout 3 where you have to walk 10 minutes to get anywhere, Everything is within 50 feet of each other, especially around Vegas. You would think, being in a desert, there would be a whole lot of nothing. Even more nothing than the Capital Wasteland. But I've never lived anywhere near west end of the US, so I guess I can only assume. But even worse than that, I feel like Im being railroaded to Vegas on the map. Wanna go straight there instead of down and around? I hope you can kill dozens of Deathclaws in the quarry that decided to make nest there (I ended up using a Stealth Boy). Or the giant radscorpions. It seems if you want to live at all you gotta stay on the road and risk only a few cazadores and raider attacks.

The second thing that bothers me is the music selection. Yes, I realize its supposed to be pure classic Vegas. But not only is it music from an era generations before I was born, its also in Vegas, nowhere near anywhere Ive had any experience with. Ive never even been to a casino. Granted its probably because of my location. Im from Michigan, so if they were playing Detroit Motown music I would feel some nostalgia or whatever. I didnt have a problem with the music from Fallout 3 because it was fun to listen to and 3 Dog was entertaining. But theres no radio announcer in this game, and the music selection is vastly shorter. I end up hearing the same goddamn "Jingle Jangle" song over and over on passing radios. Thats just my 2 cents though.

Edit: I know this sounds like a rant. I am really enjoying this game. I spent 2 hours trying to get Veronica's quest to activate and couldnt and it really pissed me off so its put me in a fowl mood.
    Last edited by Echo136; 02-12-2011 at 07:17 PM.

One of the greatest things about the games produced by Bethseda Softworks is the fact that they can be fully modified to your liking. This includes fixing bugs and glitches.
    My biggest problem with this game was that after nearlly 20 hours of playing, I experienced a fatal crash during the climatic battle at hoover dam... and damn, it wasn't pretty.

Game crashed, lost data, and sanity.
    The bugs alone drop my rating from 8/10 to a mere 6.5/10.
    "show me a thoroughly satisfied man and I will show you a failure." - Edison

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast