XFIRE ID: echo136 Steam ID: echo136 HLSTATS ID: 973

Morrowind Vs Oblivion. A comparision

With Skyrim announced a lot of people have been talking about, and comparing their favorite Elder Scrolls game. Most who play Morrowind cite that it was a superior game due to its better RPG elements and story, while players of Oblivion say that its superior combat system, graphics, and quest journal make it better. Im going to say right now I side with Oblivion. But Im going to say why.

First off. Immersion

Text Boxes vs Voice Acting - You enter Morrowind, and theres very little Voice acting beyond the important characters. Most of it is done using text boxes, where you click on important highlighted text to get more information. The problem has already started with this though. Walls of Text. I dont mind reading, but after awhile, 99% of the NPC's you encounter have the exact same thing to say, and I begin to click furiously on every conversation piece they have to quicken the exchange, because chances are they probably have nothing new to say that I havent read from the past 5 people. Every once in awhile I get something new, but now everyone says that something new. And after awhile I stop caring about reading all together. As for Oblivion's notorious problem of having only 1 male and 1 female voice for every race, it may be immersion breaking, but Im able to suspend disbelief knowing there are way too many characters in the game to individually voice. The biggest immersion breaker for Oblivion voices is when you hear a begger talk like a begger at first, then half way in talk like a nobleman. Its a killer, but its funny as hell.

Faces - People complain that Oblivion faces look alike and enter the uncanny valley, or how the faces just stare at you, but if you stop and actually notice, theres only actually 3 or 4 seperate faces for every races in Morrowind. Its very noticeable and very annoying. If they didnt have names floating above their heads I wouldnt even be able to tell them apart. At least I could tell who is who in Oblivion, with different clothes hair, hair color, hair length, individual face structure, and skin tones.

Combat - Why is this immersion breaking you ask? Dice rolls. Specifically, in Morrowind. Im gonna tell you a little story. When I first tried Morrowind, I did what anyone would do in a huge open world. I explored. Not long after setting out for the first time, I happened appon my first enemy. A slug of some sort. A tiny little thing. I thought, this thing shouldnt pose a problem at all, and Ill be on my way. Oh how I was wrong. So wrong. I brandished my sword and began attacking it. And hit nothing. For a half an hour. I missed every time. The whole time its hitting me, trying to remove me from this mortal coil, and Im using up potions that I bought with all the precious money I had from the vendor in town. Eventually it killed me. A fucking slug. All of this because of dice rolls. All because its supposedly a more classic RPG style game.
    In Oblivion, however, your first enemy is two giant rats, and unless you are completely incompetent, you bleed them dry.

Scenery - Its not that fair to say but the graphics and scenery in Morrowind were ugly. You start out in what looks like a swamp and most of the areas that I explored didnt look much more inviting. While I have no problem playing older games, I had a hard time getting used to it. Oblivion was a lot more polished. Oblivion was beautiful. The biggest mistake to this beauty the developers could have added was fast travel, because people wouldnt enjoy this beauty.

Loading times: Morrowind wins this one. Theres loading screens EVERYWHERE in Oblivion. If you are on an older machine its a nightmare. And its an immersion killer for sure.

Next, lets talk about Gameplay

Combat, again - Morrowind: Random blocks and attacks based on dice rolls. Have to switch between melee, missile, and magic. Terrible. Also, walking was too fucking slow. It was ridiculous. How could anyone play that game and not be an argonian just for the speed boost.
    Oblivion: You actually get to use melee and magic at the same time. Thank fucking god. This alone almost made me not touch Morrowind. I feel like Oblivion has spoiled me. Fewer weapon types. That didnt bother me too much because too many to choose from would have made leveling anything difficult but I would have liked the spear at least.. Killing enemies takes forever unless your stats are min/maxed, enemies level with you. That last one screwed me over on my first game, where I made it to level 20 early on by just using alchemy and making truckloads of endurance potions from stolen ingrediants. I ran into a Minotaur on the road and only had iron weapons and leather armor. So which is better? Oblivion by a long shot.

Quests - I should give a couple points to Morrowind for not using fast travel or a quest compass, and believe me when I say that fast travel was too tempting not to use, but it gets a lot of points taken away for its attrocious organization of its Journal, while Oblivion was a lot neater. I often times had to use a pad of paper and pencil instead of Morrowinds unorganized mess of a Journal. I know the compass isnt for everyone but in Morrowind I searched around for an hour and a half to find out what house the guy lived in I was supposed to deliver the letter to. My first quest. If I had the quest compass I could have had that done and over with and working on the mages guild. What made it worse was when the guy TOLD me to go do some sidequests as part of the main quest. Its more fun when Im presented with the main quest but I choose not to. I tried a few, died many times to flying enemies and more slugs, and gave up. In Oblivion, Ive done every single side quest in the game. Many of then dozens of times. And I loved every one of them.

Inventory - In Morrowind, who's bright idea was it to make the inventory button right mouse click? Seriously. Overall Morrowinds inventory system is pretty unorganized. But Oblivion isnt without its faults either. The burden in Oblivion gets pretty annoying. You see a piece of loot on the ground and you are already overburdened to the point where you are using every magical spell in the book to keep you from keeling over. I find myself running to the shops to sell way more often than I'd like.

Finally lets talk about Story -

From only playing through the first few main missions of Morrowind I know nothing of the over-arching story of the game, though Im told by many many many people that the story of the game overshadows Oblivion by mountains. I can only assume that people who say that probably add a little nostalgic value to the facts, as I would do the same for Oblivion, but as I cannot make a full assessment, Im going to give this one to Morrowind. Most of the game's story is told through text, so much more can be said, as opposed to Oblivion where backstory story is told in books.

So there you have it. This is my list of comparisions and grievences, although its more unfair toward Morrowind. If you'd like to add your own to either by all means.

• Computer Specs
      • Case: Antec Twelve Hundred (love this case!)
      • Motherboard: EVGA 780i
      • Processor: Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz (400x8)
      • Memory: 8GB Kingston HyperX @ 4-4-4-12
      • Video Card # 1: BFG GTX280 @ 615 SLI
      • Video Card # 2: BFG GTX280 @ 615 SLI
      • Hard Drive # 1: 128GB: Corsair SSD (OS+APPS)
      • Hard Drive # 2: 750GB: Gaming
      • Hard Drive # 3: 750GB: Raid 1 - WD Black (DATA)
      • Hard Drive # 4: 150GB: Velociraptor Scratch Disk
      • Optical Drive # 1: Blu-Ray Player
      • Optical Drive # 2: LG DVD DL Burner
      • Power Supply: Zalman ZM850
      • Sound Card: B-Gears Inspire 5.1
      • Monitor: 30" Dell Ultrasharp HC
      • Operating System: Windows 7 x64
      • Headset: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
    Gold Donor

Re: Morrowind Vs Oblivion. A comparision

Personally, I think although the voice acting in games is great however half of the characters in Oblivion had the same damn actor/actress doing their voices. That killed the immersion for me.
    I remember a time when a game company had most of their dev team on things like story and game play. Those were king. So although MW looks dated to Oblivion it was still in its own league. Again, my opinion by that comparison.
    However I'm still disappointed with today's games in general; it's all about shiny graphics and instant gratification. Very rarely does a game get released with some solid game play intertwined with a really good story. A game that doesn't allow you to save every 5 or 10 minutes and actually penalizes you for poor choices and/or death. Everything seems to get handed to you or people want it handed to them.
    TF2 is a great example of that. 20 second respawn? 20 whole seconds! No! Instant damn it! Possibly wait a few days/weeks for a hat drop? No! I must idle around the clock because I WANT IT NOW! Earn achievements? You mean take weeks/months to do it legit? F$#@ THAT! Let's get some friends together and cheat the system!
    I felt the same way with Oblivion. I got a horse in what? 15 minutes? I had some great weapons and armour in less then that. I got rewarded for JUST BEING THERE. I didn't have to earn it. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Oblivion but it failed my expectations.
    Bah... /end my rant now.

Cyber-Athletes & E-Sports
    "When Timmy Two Tons is sitting his fat ass behind a computer all day eating bon bons and slowly developing diabetes he, in no way shape or form, has earned the right to be called 'athlete' or to be associated with the word 'sport'."

• Computer Specs
      • Motherboard: XFX 680i
      • Processor: Core 2 Duo 3.0
      • Memory: 4G G. Skill 1000
      • Video Card # 1: eVga 8600 GT
      • Hard Drive # 1: Bunch of Seagates
      • Hard Drive # 2: A Single Maxtor
      • Optical Drive # 1: Crap Generic SATA
      • Power Supply: Good brand, forget the name
      • Sound Card: Razer Barracuda
      • Monitor: Acer 22"
      • Operating System: Windows Vista Ultimate (Free from club.live.com)

your trying to do somethign that is very hard to do. what your doing is like comparing bc2 to blackops, yeah they are similar but they are, for lack of a better phrase, completely different games. i LOVED morrowind, but i wouldnt be able to recommend it to most of the people who played oblivion because oblivion was made to tender to a wider audience.

although not to be a complete downer you did do a pretty good job of describing both games (though i disagree w/ you that morrowind was ugly - it was very beautiful)

*also the boots of BLINDING SPEEEEEED, try that in morrowind. very useful for you know - going fast. though make sure you dont get blinded when putting htem on ;O
    Last edited by KRosen; 12-17-2010 at 10:54 AM.

XFIRE ID: echo136 Steam ID: echo136 HLSTATS ID: 973

Quote Originally Posted by THaNaToS_J2 View Post
    Personally, I think although the voice acting in games is great however half of the characters in Oblivion had the same damn actor/actress doing their voices. That killed the immersion for me.
    I remember a time when a game company had most of their dev team on things like story and game play. Those were king. So although MW looks dated to Oblivion it was still in its own league. Again, my opinion by that comparison.
    However I'm still disappointed with today's games in general; it's all about shiny graphics and instant gratification. Very rarely does a game get released with some solid game play intertwined with a really good story. A game that doesn't allow you to save every 5 or 10 minutes and actually penalizes you for poor choices and/or death. Everything seems to get handed to you or people want it handed to them.
    TF2 is a great example of that. 20 second respawn? 20 whole seconds! No! Instant damn it! Possibly wait a few days/weeks for a hat drop? No! I must idle around the clock because I WANT IT NOW! Earn achievements? You mean take weeks/months to do it legit? F$#@ THAT! Let's get some friends together and cheat the system!
    I felt the same way with Oblivion. I got a horse in what? 15 minutes? I had some great weapons and armour in less then that. I got rewarded for JUST BEING THERE. I didn't have to earn it. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Oblivion but it failed my expectations.
    Bah... /end my rant now.
    See, I knew someone would make the arguement of instant gratification, and you know what? It all comes down to whether or not the game was fun or not. And when I ask myself whether or not Morrowind was more fun than Oblivion, I think back to THE GODDAMN SLUG. There is nothing fun about losing a humiliating fight in Morrowind to a fucking SLUG. Its absolutely a killer of anything enjoyable about the game.

• Computer Specs
      • Case: Antec Twelve Hundred (love this case!)
      • Motherboard: EVGA 780i
      • Processor: Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz (400x8)
      • Memory: 8GB Kingston HyperX @ 4-4-4-12
      • Video Card # 1: BFG GTX280 @ 615 SLI
      • Video Card # 2: BFG GTX280 @ 615 SLI
      • Hard Drive # 1: 128GB: Corsair SSD (OS+APPS)
      • Hard Drive # 2: 750GB: Gaming
      • Hard Drive # 3: 750GB: Raid 1 - WD Black (DATA)
      • Hard Drive # 4: 150GB: Velociraptor Scratch Disk
      • Optical Drive # 1: Blu-Ray Player
      • Optical Drive # 2: LG DVD DL Burner
      • Power Supply: Zalman ZM850
      • Sound Card: B-Gears Inspire 5.1
      • Monitor: 30" Dell Ultrasharp HC
      • Operating System: Windows 7 x64
      • Headset: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
    Gold Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Echo136 View Post
    See, I knew someone would make the arguement of instant gratification, and you know what? It all comes down to whether or not the game was fun or not. And when I ask myself whether or not Morrowind was more fun than Oblivion, I think back to THE GODDAMN SLUG. There is nothing fun about losing a humiliating fight in Morrowind to a fucking SLUG. Its absolutely a killer of anything enjoyable about the game.
    This reminds me of one of the Dragon Age patches (and please don't take this to heart):
    "Made easy difficultly easier." Why? Because gamers had two options. 1) Work for the results or 2) Complain to Bioware to make the results easier to obtain. I almost wanted to write them a "Dear Bioware, are you F$#@ING SERIOUS?" e-mail.
    So I decided to try it out in easy mode with the changes to see how dumbed down they made it. The first dragon I encountered I was able to slay using dialogue options only. I uninstalled after that.
    (I kid on that... or do I?)

The 'enjoyable' part about any game like that is that you weren't invincible. Yes, some battles were won with brawn, but others needed brains.
    Last edited by THaNaToS_J2; 12-17-2010 at 01:13 PM.

Cyber-Athletes & E-Sports
    "When Timmy Two Tons is sitting his fat ass behind a computer all day eating bon bons and slowly developing diabetes he, in no way shape or form, has earned the right to be called 'athlete' or to be associated with the word 'sport'."

Blog Entries
    • Computer Specs
      • Case: Corsair 250D
      • Motherboard: MSI A88XI AC
      • Processor: AMD A10 7850K
      • Memory: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600
      • Video Card # 1: AMD 6950 overclocked to 840 Mhz
      • Hard Drive # 1: Toshiba 128 GB SSD
      • Hard Drive # 2: Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1 TB
      • Hard Drive # 3: Samsung HD322GJ 320 GB
      • Optical Drive # 1: Optiarc AD 7240S
      • Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 750 G2
      • Sound Card: Onboard Realtek
      • Monitor: Dell U2412M
      • Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
      • Headset: Sennheiser PC151
    Gold Donor
    New Server Contributor
    Steam ID: Voudoun

At the time the graphics in Morrowind were stunning. I was playing on the day of release, and my jaw dropped more than it ever has in any game ever when I got out on deck. The music swelling at just the right moment helped, but if I'd taken two seconds longer, or been two seconds quicker, it would have been missed. The grasslands were beautiful, but I also loved the dust storms.

In terms of dice rolls etc I think you're completely right. However, I found the repetitive voices in Oblivion a much bigger immersion breaker, especially when they crossed species. I'm not presenting that as an objective fact, it's just the way it worked, or didn't work, for me.

With regards to story Morrowind did a far better job with its main quest line, in my view. It was longer, and more sophisticated in terms of the motivations being open to interpreation, whereas Oblivion was more black and white. I was looking forward to Oblivion immensely, kept up with all the updates, and even submitted about half the questions for an interview with Gavin Carter that a tech website did. However, I was disappointed by Oblivion's main quest. For me, if Morrowind's main quest was a novel, Oblivion's was a run of the mill action film.

Having said that, Oblivion's Thief and Assassin guild quests were much better than Morrowind's, despite the voice acting for Lucien.

Games changed over the four years between Morrowind and Oblivion. Voice acting became more routine, and of course graphics improved, so of course in a number of respects Oblivion is superior. For me though Morrowind will always be the more compelling game because of the main quest. I've certainly played Morrowind far more.

• Computer Specs
      • Case: NZXT
      • Motherboard: EVGA 790i Digital FTW
      • Processor: Intel Q6600 Quad Core
      • Memory: 8GB Corsair DDR3 2000
      • Video Card # 1: Nvidia 8800 Ultra
      • Hard Drive # 1: Western Digital 1TB
      • Hard Drive # 2: Western Digital 300GB RAID
      • Optical Drive # 1: Asus
      • Power Supply: Tough Power 1200W
      • Sound Card: On board HI-DEF
      • Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
      • Headset: Logitech G930 Gaming Headset
    Gold Donor

You ran into a slug before a cliff racer?

Oblivion was great when it came out, but I was beyond disappointed with the combat. It amounted to little more than hack and slash. The animations were sluggish and hits registered oddly. If oblivon had the FPS melee combat from Dark Messiah, I could die happy.

Wannabe Crazy Canadian EverBlue's Avatar
    • Computer Specs
      • Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 4300 @ 1.8GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.8GHz
      • Memory: 3326MB RAM
      • Video Card # 1: Radeon X 1650 Series
      • Hard Drive # 1: 200GB
      • Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium
    Gold Donor
    New Server Contributor
    XFIRE ID: EverBlue91 Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197964654669 HLSTATS ID: 746

Yeah. The whole level scaling in Oblivion makes this an easy choice for me.

Morrowind, hands down. If I was somewhere I wasn't supposed to be at an early level, I got murdered.

But in Oblivion? I was frolicking through the whole damn game. It really makes leveling up feel quite pointless.

Also.. Going through half a baziljon Oblivion portals to get, what was it, TWO guys from each city was... anti-climatic, to say the least.
    Only the insane have the strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

• Computer Specs
      • Processor: Intel Core i7 2.8ghz
      • Video Card # 1: GeForce 275 GTX
      • Hard Drive # 1: 500GB
      • Monitor: LG W2253
      • Operating System: Windows 7
      • Headset: Logitec HS30
    XFIRE ID: Kingswat Steam ID: kingswat

Morrowind wins for main quest and overall number of things to do. Oblivion wins for Graphics and skightly better fighting.