Somewhere in the northwestern hemisphere.
    Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198001071340

Lightbulb Left 4 Dead FAQ's and Information!

Welcome to the Left 4 Dead (l4d) FAQ’s and info! (pre-realese version)[updated 10/12/08]

L4D is a first person multiplayer online game available on the PC and 360.

Please note that this is only a gathering of information about the game, all information isn’t finalized or certain yet.

Table of contents:
    1. Plot
    2. You, the character.
    3. Gameplay
    4. Enemies
    5. System Reqirement , fun facts, and resources

PLOT~

Welcome to the world of Left 4 Dead……

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...dows_cover.jpg

As you start out from the title screen you are grimly greeted to the world as it currently is. Abandoned buildings, rusty metal remains, and the occasional drifting piece of refuse is all to be seen. That is.. besides you …one of The Survivors of the horrible apocyliptic outcome of humanity.

Armed with the weapons you have picked up, you now walk among the streets with only one thought in your head. What is it? I’m glad you asked…….

YOU! The character.

In L4D, you play as your choice of one of 4 characters.

Louis: The dark skinned, tie-wearing businessman.
    Bill: An old Vietnam war veternan. (+50% arthritis!)
    Francis: The tough, rock-built, tattoo covered biker boy.
    Zoey: The token girl character.

GAMEPLAY/OMGWTFBBQ material.

Valve has really outdone themselves this time, 3 years in the making, L4D gives a groundbreaking, graphically amazing experience unlike many survival horror games.

L4D is a first person multiplayer online game available on the PC and 360.

In L4D, you can play with yourself or with 3 friends controlling the 3 other characters.

General features:
    Choose whatever stage you wish to play
    Same content
    Full voice acting
    Cinematic effects (wet textures, fog, shadowing effects)
    Valve’s Achivement system
    Deathmatch mode (see further)
    Amazing Artificial Intelligence
    FULL FRIENDLY FIRE<<<<<< (oh t3h noes! Aiming FTL )

1 Player:
    The 1 player campaign is the exact same material as multiplayer, with the exeption of the AI controlling some group effects. What really makes the 1-Player mode unique is the command system used to order around your other group members. When not following an order you have given them, their actions are controlled via the AI. (see following sections for more details on 1 Player [multiplayer contains most details on gameplay, the details also pertain to 1P])

Multiplayer: Multiplayer is when things really get fun, though it is technically the same as 1P. Removing the AI, each player acts as their own character. Moving around the screen, fighting and getting prepared to fight, a simple click of the mouse uses most weapons, space to jump ect. When a player moves into an area or section beyond yours, their body is outlined on their screen as a siloutte with a stark white contrast line. Friendly fire is always on in both modes, and because you’re often being swarmed by mobs, don’t be surprised if your friends cuss you out.

The AI in L4D makes a large part of the game very fun, because no matter how good you get, or how good you are, the AI will adjust the zombie flow accordingly, along with their intelligence and power. Along with this, the AI makes positions and other details different in each time you do a level, this of course, provides a totally different experience each time.

Because of there being only 4 players, just 1 greifer can ruin the squad, to counter this, a merits system has been added that trackes how often a player TKs people, and if it is a high percentage then teh players will have to option to vote to ban the person.

DEATH: Death is always a threat in zombie based games, but fortunately, you have a good amount of time to help people who are about to die.

Pain Chart:
    Good: You be good to go brotha’.
    Hurt: Ow
    Injured: You limp and need to find help soon.
    Knocked down: You cant move, and will surely die unless a teammate takes 5 seconds to help you up, in which case you are restored back to a injured state.
    Dead: You need to sit out untill your team either fails or reaches a safepoint, in which case you are brought back to life. The safepoint is usually the next level, but can also be a sort of game checkpoint.

Playable Areas:

Known as “movies”, the usual goal of these areas is to fight back and suvive the onslaught until backup comes to rescue you. Each one lasts 45-80 minutes.

THE ENEMIES
    In L4D, the enemies you face are known as the Infected, the average zombie you face goes down in 1 well placed hit, but apart from them, there are 5 other, “special” zombies mixed in with them

*The Boomer is a obese Infected that can spew projectile vomit,blinding you and attracting many Infected to you. Boomers blow up when they die, spraying nearby Survivors with blood that also attracts the Infected. http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...11/boomer1.jpg
    • The Hunter is a really freaking ifected that enjoys waiting…waiting, waiting before28 BAM, he jumps on you, knocks you down, and procedes to disembowl you, but gives your team a ample amount of time to save you. http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...nter-close.jpg
    • The Smoker has a long, tongue that can strangle Survivors and drag them away from their team mates, and procedes to imitate an octopus, spewing smoke that causes your team to cough and be blinded over 3-4 seconds http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...tonguezoey.jpg

• The Tank, a huge, tall,and posses strength of biblical proportions, this is showed by him tossing about cars and concrete like feathers, able to take large amounts of damage, do NOT trust a tank as far as hecan throw YOU! http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...11/ignvid1.jpg
    • The Witch is the only mutant Infected that can kill you immediately in one hit, and can take HUGE amounts of damage, fortunatly, it only appears on hard mode, and is passive, but will attack if she hears loud noise or a flashlight shines near her. http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...boss-witch.jpg

Final Section:
    Left 4 Dead uses an upgraded version of Valve Corp.’s Source Engine, which it uses for most of its games
    System Req.: If you post on these forums you can likely run it, because valve uses the source engine for most of its games, it can easily be compared to other games like Warhammer and Half Life 2. If you can run eather of these, chances are that you can run Left 4 Dead

Not many fun facts ATM, there are a few though…
    L4D is planned to release on Nov. 19th, with the demo coming out 2 weeks earlier, so get saving!

The single player mode is mildly based on the original concept for Team Fortress 2, in which there is one player who controls all actions of the others, however, because TF2 was multiplayer, such a situation would have not have worked out.
    iO is the #1 FPS online forum server ventrilo running site that begins with www.

Some good L4D videos:
    The Trailer:

YouTube - Left 4 Dead (Game Trailer)

A great gameplay video:

YouTube - Left 4 Dead: Hands On demo & walkthrough

Major props to wikipedia, valve, youtube, Left4dead.com blog, and google for being so awesome!

After a lot of typing, my introduction to Left 4 Dead is done, if you have any new information, please contact me, or just post .
    This guide will be updated reguarly.
    Version 1.01
    Last edited by Sorak; 10-13-2008 at 12:58 AM. Reason: update
    [iO] Jesus: Sorak is pretty chill.
    [iO] NiCkYNiTRO: iO would be nothing without him.
    [iO] NiCkYNiTRO: If Sorak doesn't stop misquoting people in his sig I swear to god I'll ban him.

Gold Donor
    XFIRE ID: nickynitro
    sick post man. Very informative thanks!!!
    www.iOGaming.NET
    iO Founder and CEO
    Donate to OUR community: http://iogaming.net/donate

Gold Donor
    Yeah man, thanks for the info!
    Shocker/COO of iOGaming

Thanks, coming from an admin, its great to get a complement took a hell of a long time to gather the info, and i still need to add game mode info and other things :P (tomorrow!)
    [iO] NiCkYNiTRO: If Sorak doesn't stop misquoting people in his sig I swear to god I'll ban him.

Steam ID: hidekiryuga HLSTATS ID: 230950
    nubs. knew all this already!
    I am L. I am Justice.

Justice will, without fail, prevail.

Blog Entries
    Images
    • Computer Specs
      • Case: Rosewill FUTURE Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
      • Motherboard: BIOSTAR A880G+ AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
      • Processor: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Rana 3.2GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor (unlocked to a quad 3.
      • Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
      • Video Card # 1: XFX 5770 1GB Video Card (2x Lifetime coverage)
      • Hard Drive # 1: estern Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
      • Optical Drive # 1: Samsung DVDRW Drive Sata
      • Power Supply: Rosewill RV2-500 500 W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V SLI Ready Power Supply
      • Sound Card: on board sound
      • Monitor: 32" Emerson HDTv
      • Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64bit OEM
    XFIRE ID: stoneddood Steam ID: iodood HLSTATS ID: 2508
    LOL L!!! This game is gonna be BAD ASS!!!

In my sod house waiting for the buffalo to come. I am getting worried not alot of food left.
    Gold Donor
    FRIENDLY FIRE FTW lol you don't me behind you

As a pyro i never take my hand off the left mouse button, so.. yeah, not my cup of tea, i hope its changed.

Blog Entries
    Images
    • Computer Specs
      • Case: Rosewill FUTURE Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
      • Motherboard: BIOSTAR A880G+ AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
      • Processor: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Rana 3.2GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor (unlocked to a quad 3.
      • Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
      • Video Card # 1: XFX 5770 1GB Video Card (2x Lifetime coverage)
      • Hard Drive # 1: estern Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
      • Optical Drive # 1: Samsung DVDRW Drive Sata
      • Power Supply: Rosewill RV2-500 500 W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V SLI Ready Power Supply
      • Sound Card: on board sound
      • Monitor: 32" Emerson HDTv
      • Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64bit OEM
    XFIRE ID: stoneddood Steam ID: iodood HLSTATS ID: 2508
    Drool.................

• Computer Specs
      • Motherboard: ASUS rampage II extreme x58
      • Processor: i7 920 @3.2Ghz but it will go higher
      • Memory: 3 x 2GB GSkill DDR3 1600
      • Video Card # 1: Sapphire Radeon 4870x2
      • Hard Drive # 1: 250GB SATA 3.0 Raid 1 for OS
      • Hard Drive # 2: 250GB SATA 3.0 Raid 1 for OS
      • Hard Drive # 3: 160GB SATA 3.0 misc data storage drive
      • Hard Drive # 4: 500GB SATA 3.0 backup
      • Optical Drive # 1: Toshiba DVD ROM
      • Optical Drive # 2: SONY DL DVD-RW
      • Power Supply: Thermaltake toughpower 1,200w
      • Sound Card: Creative X-FI
      • Monitor: Viewsonic 22" LCD widescreen 1680x1050
      • Operating System: Vista 64 bit eternity edition
    Don't forget to mention the merit system. As this is a game that would be ripe for griefers since FF is always on and teamwork is absolutly essential for success 1 greifer constitutes 25% of your squad and can ruin the experience completly.

What the merit system does is keep a PERMANENT record of everything a player does. So if you see a member join your squad that has 30 team kills and no merits you can initialize a vote kick to remove that player from the game. This should insure that everyone will try to play seriously every time.
    You are all dead. You just walk around not knowing it.

[iO]Twizzy: You don't teabag an admin.

Blog Entries
    • Computer Specs
      • Motherboard: Gigiabyte EP35-DS3R
      • Processor: Intel Core2 Duo E8500
      • Memory: OCZ Platinum 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel
      • Video Card # 1: e-GeForce 8800 GT 512MB DDR3 Superclocked
      • Hard Drive # 1: Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB 32 MB Cache, 7200 RPM
      • Hard Drive # 2: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1 TB 7200RPM SATA 3 GB/s 32 MB Cache
      • Hard Drive # 3: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB
      • Optical Drive # 1: Samsung SH-S203N
      • Power Supply: NeoPower 550
      • Sound Card: Creative X-fi Platinum
      • Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2220wm
      • Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64
    Silver Donor
    Really looking forward to this game, zombies rule!

Great post, this is going to be a great community game. I'm definitly going to get it, but have to hold off I think because GTA IV is released the same day. I may break down and buy it before :O .

Wannabe Crazy Canadian EverBlue's Avatar
    • Computer Specs
      • Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 4300 @ 1.8GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.8GHz
      • Memory: 3326MB RAM
      • Video Card # 1: Radeon X 1650 Series
      • Hard Drive # 1: 200GB
      • Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium
    Gold Donor
    New Server Contributor
    XFIRE ID: EverBlue91 Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197964654669 HLSTATS ID: 746
    Now I'm curious, I heard somewhere that there would be 4 other players that would play as the "stronger" boss type zombies, playing against the survivors. Not true?
    Only the insane have the strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Quote Originally Posted by EverBlue View Post
    Now I'm curious, I heard somewhere that there would be 4 other players that would play as the "stronger" boss type zombies, playing against the survivors. Not true?
    nuh-uh, sorry, that totally a bullsh...... oh, wait, no, its not. LMAO. Its true, im updating the guide to include new co-op information tues.-wed.