Blog Entries
    Gold Donor

Cloud Storage Services

Hi all.
    A question by Josh raised this review. So I guess here it goes

For those who don't know what is a cloud service, or are not sure if they should use it, maybe this will change your mind.
    Cloud storage service is a way to save and sync your files/folders to a remote database. No need to save file to a local or external hard-drive or USB flash memory.
    Today there are dozens of cloud services but the below one are cloud services I used and still using myself. If you know any other please feel free to suggest them here

Dropbox - Was my first cloud, so I will give detail explanation about it, though the other cloud services are almost the same with regard to space, and referrals.

Dropbox
    Free: Start with 2GB. Max 16GB with 500MB referrals
    Paid: 100-500GB - 10$-50$ a month or 99$-500$ a year.

Referral program works that for every friend you refer you get 500MB for each friend who installs dropbox on their computer.
    The easy way to get around the referrals status and get the max of storage is to install the cloud service on multiple computers with multiple emails These tested and it will work (but it have to be multiple computers). You can try installing it on your own computer with different email, but I think you will have to wait between changing emails.

Dropbox like any other cloud service works best with a sync folder on your computer. This folder acts as a regular folder on your machine, with a bonus of a cloud service. Every type of file/folder you will copy/move to the Dropbox folder will be synced with all other machines you have dropbox (or any other cloud) installed on.

The Pros of using a cloud service is that your files are always there. You don't need to store them of a USB/flash memory you just need an internet connection to connect to your files. If you have files that are sensitive and you prefer random people not finding them use a cloud. I am pretty sure we all lose at least on flash memory once in our life time (if not more than that). Then cursing about how stupid it was not to back up the information of that USB.

Another thing that the majority, if not all have a smartphone apps. As far as I know, Dropbox, Asuswebstorage & Google Drive has free smartphone apps compatible with Android and iPhone. Although these apps won't let you sync your folders, Dropbox and Asuswebstorage have an option to sync all of your photos and videos from taken from your phone or tablet directly.
    Using an app you can choose which files to upload and which to download, but not to actively sync. There are 3rd-party apps that let you do that operation. For Android I know there is an app called Dropsync

The only downside of using cloud is that you need an internet connection. If you in an area with no connection, than there are no way to access your files, except if you synced them before with your device.
    ----

In short this is what you get with other cloud services:

Google drive
    Google Drive was known as Google docs. It might be still Google docs for someone you. Go to your Google docs and do the transition to Google drive:

Free: 5GB
    Paid: 25GB for 2.5$ a month or 100GB for 5$ a month. In addition to these paid upgrade you will get 25GB for your Gmail storage (though I don't see the reason why someone will need 25GB for email. probably for spamming)
    Then there are other plans more expansive. Ranging from 200GB 10$/Month to 16TB 800$/Month

Work the same way as Dropbox live folder, but as an option to create/edit/save word documents, excel spreadsheets, PowerPoint presentation, forms and drawing. And It have other 3rd-party apps with it online.
    -----

Asus Webstorage
    Free: 2GB.
    Paid: 50GB-500GB ranging from 50$-100$ for 1 year or 90$-180$ for 2 years.
    Now there is bonus storage if you buy new Asus products. With the Asus Transformer Prime you get 8GB free for life storage.
    Other products might give you higher storage for free, but I don't have a way to confirm it.
    Asus have android apps that work with the storage, which let you play music from your uploaded storage called MEAR
    ----

Microsoft SkyDrive
    Free: 7GB
    Paid: 20GB-100GB starting from 10$-50$ per year
    ----

There are other cloud services I know of, but I didn't use them:

Amazon Cloud
    Paid: 20GB-1TB starts from 10$-500$ per year.

----

Box
    Free: 5GB. If you have Xperia or LG Android device you will get 50GB for free. This might be expired though.

What I don't like about this service is that in order to do a lot of the functions you need to have paid sub. I feel that this is a rip-off.
    ---

Last on this list is iCloud. Personally I don't know a thing about it. So this is from the website.
    From what i heared from friends who used it, they don't realy like it. They prefer to use one storage clouds like Dropbox or Drive. I don't own an apple product of any type, So I would not be able to answer how it works.

Well that all I know about the cloud storage. Do you know any other ones?
    what do you think about cloud storage?

Isra
    Attached Images
    Last edited by IsraCid3R; 08-02-2012 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Links added

Images
    Gold Donor
    Steam ID: iO_Whoami HLSTATS ID: 12027

re: Cloud Storage Services

I remember when SkyDrive was 25GB free.....

I personally use DropBox. Currently at almost 8gb and rarely come close to maxing it out.
    Last edited by Whoami; 08-02-2012 at 01:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bootsie View Post
    <insert weird ladyboner for jessica biel>
    "A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing."
    -Bill Shankly

Blog Entries
    Gold Donor

i have 13GB on dropbox and its maxed another 5GB on Drive. another 9GB on Asus Webstorage with 4GB full.
    I just bought 500GB on Asus for another account.
    The paid version of Asus webstorage let you back up up to 2 computers to the cloud.

Gold Donor
    Steam ID: madstyler HLSTATS ID: 403

I use Google drive, I have all my art/graphic assets on there to use from anywhere, no where near the 5gb of free space they gave me.

Blog Entries
    • Computer Specs
      • Case: CM Storm Sniper
      • Motherboard: Gigabyte EP45T-USB3P
      • Processor: Intel Q8400
      • Memory: 4GB DDR3
      • Hard Drive # 2: 40GB IDE
      • Optical Drive # 1: Sony DVD+/-RW DL
      • Power Supply: 400W
      • Monitor: 21" Acer
    Gold Donor
    Steam ID: wafflesandsyrup

Thank you for this review, Isra!

I personally use Dropbox and Drive. The thing I like about both is their ability to be used as a regular folder in Explorer, then sync the files automatically. I have a ton of [text] documents on Drive, and only using 2MB of my 5GB. Won't be filling that up anytime soon. My Dropbox is 2.75GB, and I'm using about 700MB of that.

I don't do backups of my PC, though, so that would affect my cloud usage more.

• Computer Specs
      • Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite White Steel
      • Motherboard: MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 FM2 AMD A75 (Hudson D3)
      • Processor: AMD A8-6600K Richland 3.9GHz
      • Memory: G.SKILL 8GB
      • Video Card # 1: ASUS HD7770-1GD5 Radeon HD 7770
      • Hard Drive # 1: Samsung 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 250GB
      • Hard Drive # 2: Western Digital WD Blue WD5000AAKX
      • Power Supply: PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 500W Modular
      • Sound Card: Dolby Digital
      • Monitor: 21in Dell
      • Operating System: windows 8.1 64 bit
      • Headset: ANTEC G35
    Gold Donor
    New Server Contributor

I use Amazon Cloud. I have 20 fee GB being a PREMIER MEMBER. Was offered it in the beginning. So far I have used 6 gb of Music and Pics.

sig by Grudge

• Computer Specs
      • Case: Silverstone Raven RV01
      • Motherboard: EVGA X58 series
      • Processor: Intel Core i7 920
      • Memory: Corsair DDR3 1333 8GB
      • Video Card # 1: EVGA GeForce 660 GTX
      • Hard Drive # 1: 300GB WD Velociraptor
      • Hard Drive # 2: 600GB WD Raptor
      • Hard Drive # 3: 128GB SSD
      • Hard Drive # 4: 1TB WD Caviar Black
      • Optical Drive # 1: LG Blu-Ray burner
      • Power Supply: Corsair modular 750W
      • Sound Card: Onboard 7.1
      • Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster P2450
      • Operating System: Windows 8.1 Professional x64
    Bronze Donor

Re: Cloud Storage Services

I have two skydrive accounts (if you were a user before a month ago you got a free upgrade to 25GB) and a google drive. Both are fine for their purposes. If you plan on going to Windows 8 they automatically integrate SkyDrive into it. SkyDrive also has a desktop app (which needs a little improving) and mobile apps.

Also, "If you have files that are sensitive and you prefer random people not finding them use a cloud" is something I disagree with as someone in the cyber-security field. There have been numerous reports of hacks on cloud services and, for example, DropBox has the decryption keys that can let them view your data. The people who are administrators for these places are generally not background checked. I only keep non-sensitive items on internet storage (because honestly, thats what 'cloud storage' is). I also don't keep primary copies of files on there. I use it only for backup purposes as the providers make no guarantee of safety or availability.

Silver Donor
    New Server Contributor
    Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/baconoclock HLSTATS ID: http://stats.iogaming.net/hlstats.php?mode=playerinfo&player=147

Re: Cloud Storage Services

Quote Originally Posted by Whoami View Post
    I remember when SkyDrive was 25GB free.....

I personally use DropBox. Currently at almost 8gb and rarely come close to maxing it out.
    Might want to change your dropbox PWD, at work there was an announcement of a data breach there and some usernames / pwd stolen.